Your best advice

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Something I came up with myself:

"Never trust anyone fully. 99% of the people in the world are either greedy, selfish or incompetent."
I'm guessing you don't include yourself in that sentence, which makes the whole 'everyone in the world is stupid but me' attitude all the more annoying.
The is deeeefinitely not my attitude or what that means, and I wrote something after that to stop it from coming across as such, which seems to have failed.

And it says "Never trust anyone fully". As in don't put your complete faith in someone because they could be wrong, or doing it for their purposes. The wording could be a little less harsh, but I still stand by what I said.

And by the way, I am incompetent at a great many things, and freely admit it.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
"Know thyself" If you dont know who exactly you are and what you actually want from life (and it will shock you to see how few people can actually answer that without falling back on advertising) how can you construct a life that meets those needs?

All human actions are routed through selfishness. expect people to act in their own self interest and you can trust everyone.

This is probably the only time i disagree with MR D Adams but get a sense of perspective.

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
"Don't take advice from the internet."

No idea where I read that one. Not very good at following it though.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Marter said:
It was the quote "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Basically, if you don't try to do something, you instantly fail. If you do try, you might fail, but you also might succeed. It's either an insta-fail or a maybe fail, maybe succeed. The latter option gives you a much better chance of succeeding (ie. higher than a zero percent chance), so it's the one you should pick.

Even if I frequently ignore this advice, it's still really good.
This is a great one that I'm trying my best to follow these days. I've always been a fairly timid person, not willing to take risks for fear of embarrassment or just out of laziness. I wish someone had given me this advice at a much younger age, encouraging me to get out of my comfort zone. It's difficult but potentially very rewarding.

I don't know where I heard it but "smile, you might just make someone's day" is a personal favourite. Simpler acts of kindness can make people very happy and appreciative which is always a good thing.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Hmmm... I love sayings.

"Your biggest regrets are the things you've never done"

"Don't stick your dick in crazy"

"Boyz before toyz"
The last one is a Warhammer 40,000 saying that you buy the core of the army before you buy the fancy stuff. But I apply to my real life too; get what you need before you buy what you want.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Judge people by what they do, not what they are.
Would solve a lot of problems.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
"Never type more than 4 sentences in an argument on the internet"

This one is my own creation. The basic idea is that emotional and mental effort being put forth should yield results. On an internet argument, there is little chance of either of you changing each others mind. So if the whole of your point cannot be summarized in 4 sentences then you are wasting your time, what's wrong with you? do you have any idea how many free books are on project Gutenberg?

also "Everything in life is like making sweet love to a beautiful woman/(hunky man?)

edit: grammar

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
I have a couple. One is for debating and the other is for those living a hard life.

#1 Don?t bring a fist to a knife fight, a knife to a gun fight, or a gun to a political debate. It always ends badly.

#2 You can still smile at a sad song, because the music is still beautiful.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Marter said:
It was the quote "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Basically, if you don't try to do something, you instantly fail. If you do try, you might fail, but you also might succeed. It's either an insta-fail or a maybe fail, maybe succeed. The latter option gives you a much better chance of succeeding (ie. higher than a zero percent chance), so it's the one you should pick.

Even if I frequently ignore this advice, it's still really good.
Those sorts of lines always bug me. Sure, if you don't try, you won't succeed...you always won't invest, time effort or resources into something which still might not succeed anyway.

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Honestly, that basically covers it for me, philosophy-wise.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Always aim high and expect to get knocked down... it's better than aiming low and expecting others to elevate you to a position you are best in.

This is something that I was told years ago when I was deciding if I wanted to try to be an Officer or just join as an Aiman in the RAF. It was an RAF sgt who said it to me, and said he regretted never actually trying to get a commission. He said now he would never know if he had what it takes. I subsequently tried out of interest, got it, and have never looked back! I would always say that though. When starting a project always aim high and see where you settle/compromise instead of starting small.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
?Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.? - Mahatma Gandhi.

Got to love the classics.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
zumbledum said:
"Know thyself" If you dont know who exactly you are and what you actually want from life (and it will shock you to see how few people can actually answer that without falling back on advertising) how can you construct a life that meets those needs?

All human actions are routed through selfishness. expect people to act in their own self interest and you can trust everyone.

This is probably the only time i disagree with MR D Adams but get a sense of perspective.
I was tempted to say this one actually, as it is a real favorite of mine ever since I saw Matrix for the first time way back in the day.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Get rid of every knife in your house, & the sharpeners, & replace them with a single medium sized ceramic knife. It will cut cheese, meat, raw meat, thin-slice soft tomatoes, never needs to be sharpened, & still works perfectly if you somehow managed to chip the tip off, Handle broke off? You can still use it.