Your best/worst PC ported game

Kitteman

Dec 19, 2009
Alright, now I got Prototype for my Xbox 360 practically when it came out and it was pretty fun. Now I decided to get it for my PC to play it wherever. Once I started playing I almost ripped apart my computer in anger at the horrible camera controls and game play. That was my worst PC ported game. My best one was undoubtedly Dead Rising 2 or possibly Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare 1 because it was easier to aim.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Ya you shouldn't use PCs for platformers like Prototype. They are best for FPS and RTS games.
I haven't had any bad ports but I heard the Black Ops one sucks.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
GTA IV.

That thing was a pile of fucking shit, and isn't that much better after 7 bloody patches.

Best? Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033 most recently, although they weren't ports in the traditional sense - they felt like they were built for the PC and then the console versions were scaled back, which is how it should be.

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
Saint's Row 2. Shoddy port, shoddy performance, shoddy driving. That and the vehicle controls are just horrible.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
The PC controls for AC2 were ass. First off they didn't tell you what any of the buttons were, it was painfully obvious they just copy pasted everything, at least on the xbox the button colors and positions sort of matched up. But I sat there for like 5 minutes making baby Ezio squirm and didn't know what was wrong. I got a little mad. They also made the hand button shift. If you don't know why that's a bad thing push shift a few times.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
Arkham Asylum was pretty much the best port I've seen and Saints Row is the worst, there was like absolutely no chance that you could drive normally. At all. And don't get me started on the bikes or graphics-performance ratio.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]If you don't know why that's a bad thing push shift a few times.
You should really have the disability things turned off on any game, that's not the ports fault.

I'm guessing you mean that anyway, as I haven't played the game.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Worst: Resident Evil 4, for controls, and Assassin's Creed II for price, lateness, DRM, and general bad business practice.

Best: I dunno, Psychonauts was pretty good. (as a port; as a game it was amazing)

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Never seen a good console port so here are my three worse ones:

Arkham Asylum: Who the hell decided to bind "Aim Batarang" and "Counter-Attack" to the same button? I lost more fights due to Bats pulling out a Batarang instead of countering the thug about to murder him than due to actual failure.

Mass Effect 2: Hooray for spending ages in front of doors trying to get Shepard to OPEN the bloody things instead of taking cover next to them.

Just Cause 2: Hooray for playing in 640x480 because the game had all the settings on max and refused to let me change them (because god forbid you judge a game on more than graphics and it all ended up looking like shit anyway)

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
Red Faction 2 for worst. It may be an old game but come on, the graphics are so terrible in it and it just doesn't feel as fun as it was on PS2.

Best, Fallout New Vegas.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The best?, Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 4, Halo 1 & 2 and Gears of War.

The worst?, Resident Evil 4 (graphics that look worse than the PS2 version, low quality pre-recorded videos and horrible controls), Devil May Cry 3 (sluggish performance with a better than average PC and horrible controls) and GTA IV (sluggish performance, even on lowest settings).

Edit: Reading some comments after I posted mine, I saw someone added Mass Effect 2. I don't consider it a port, but if it is, then it should be added to my list of the best PC ports ever, the game ran smoothly as silk and I liked the controls.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
HellspawnCandy said:
Best, Fallout New Vegas.
..if anything, New Vegas is a PC game ported to console... anything with that flexible and moddable a file system isn't made with consoles primarily in mind...

OT: ...I own Assassin's Creed for PC... it runs fine (if a little overly gaudy, menu-wise), I just don't like the execution of game mechanics...

ah, I also own Frontlines: Fuel of War for PC. Runs quite smooth... and the interface, while obviously built for a console, is relatively streamlined.

...Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, also... both work great, as if they were designed for the PC.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
The worst: GTA4, Mass Effect 2, Saint's Row 2 and two Assassin's Creeds. Granted, none of these games are terrible, but the PC versions were absolute shit considering how poorly they handled controls and performance.

The best: Just Cause 2 was actually well done as a port, despite the fact it looked like they didn't really put any effort.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
True Crime: NY
Christ it was buggy. Pretty good on PS2 though.

Can't say on best because i don't play on PC as much anymore.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Saints Row 2 was pretty terribad, but Psi-ops was worse. The controls for telepathy just....were awful.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Worst I can think of is Metal Gear Solid 2. Pressing Esc quits the game immediately without prompting you to save. Yes, that's the key which in virtually every other PC game brings you to a menu with the save option.