Your "BETRAAAAAYL" moment

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
I had the same reaction as Spoony did. They deserve to burn for what they've done. F***ing maggots.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Neverhoodian said:
Now I've never played the XCOM series, but I can relate to Spoony's reaction given what Gearbox is doing to the Brothers in Arms series:
What are some of your cherished game series that you feel have been screwed over? What's caused you to feel like shouting "BETRAAAAAAAYL" at the top of your lungs?
I don't know about feeling betrayed with the whole Brothers in Arms thing, but I certainly know a trailer is doing someone wrong when I feel sorry for drunk nazis and hate the main characters after only seeing them for a minute.

To address your question, though... I am some what like this about X-Com, but I understand why a company is wanting to go with what's popular right now. But on the other hand, I reckon they would've made a killing with a turn-based squad game in the current climate of games (oh look, another shooter).

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
ohhh, so many. when splinter cell was dumbed down to appeal to the simpler demographics of the xbox audiences. when the call of duty series became utterly consolized with mw2. when the sequel to the fallout series was announced - but it was going to be a soulles oblivion with guns with nothing of the charme and the wit of the original..

it's dark days for gamerkind indeed.

Ninjamedic said:
Neverhoodian said:
Judging by your answer, I assume you haven't played a Brothers in Arms game before.

One of the major things the Brothers in Arms series is known for is its message of the human cost of war. It's the only WW2 series that made me actually care about the characters. Each squad member has his own backstory and personality, making them feel like real human beings. They're genuinely likeable and three-dimensional characters. When they begin to be picked off one by one in battle, I really felt remorseful at their passing. Hell, I was actually moved to tears by some of the deaths. It's almost like a video game adaptation of the excellent Band of Brothers series.

Now it's reduced to stupid machismo posturing with lead characters that are not only thoroughly unlikeable, but downright psychotic. Maybe it's fine for Duke Nukem, but not Brothers in Arms.
I don't think they are canceling the main story arc, that would be foolish. I doubt they would give the main series to a different development team (they're different right?) as they could screw up the main storyline. I'd say it's a spin-off so I'd relax a bit. I can sympathize with your frustration though.

And given the trailer, isn't this the non-serious arcade FPS that everyone is pining for? I've been waiting for "Inglorious Bastards: The Game" for quite some time.

OT: Star fox Adventures. Both a betrayal to the fanbase and the developer. Shame Nintendo.
see, i never could take that aspect of brothers of arms quite serious. simply due to the fact that, as dramatic and moving the deaths are portraied, it all goes to hell when 8 dudes slaughter entire batallions worth of german soldiers. somehow the cost of war is somehow mispotraied and all pretentions for realistic display of the horrors of war are involuntarely dropped when a handfull of americans are standing on a hill of smoldering nazi corpses numerous enough to populate several bavarian mountain village. the (very entertaining, nontheles!) band of brothers miniseries was guilty of this as well. i call it the "james ryan syndrome". unfortunately it's unavoidable. the audiences want to see glorious american heroes butchering the german subhumans by the hundreds. if any game or show displayed a serious and realistic ratio of deaths on both sides, most audiences, especially american ones, would be butthurt (butthurt by the truth, heh). and yet, that's exactly what it would take, for me at least, to take a serious message, like the brothers in arms games have, serious. i don't know why this one certain aspect of nonrealism bums me out so much, it just does.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010

Metroid: Other M.

The best looking, most magnificent and epic game ever made by Nintendo... and it's still terrible.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
When they decided NOT to continue the Legacy of Kain series, out of all game series, I would sacrifice all other sequels for a true resolution to that series.

For TV, when they made Dragonball Z Kai, it may not be bad, that would be hard to do, but it's still much worse.

For books, when Bill Amend decided to make Foxtrot Sunday only.

For movies, when they decided to reboot Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Nightmare on Elm Street (ESPECIALLY NoES), and all of those together doesn't match what they did to Dragonball when they made Dragonball Evolution.

All I can say to this is: BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..... ( I suffocate to death and rise from the dead) ...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Ooooh, yeah, when they turned Spyro into... <spoiler=This>http://www.vooks.net/images/spyroNew.jpg

BEEEEEEEEEEETRAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Don said:
MW2, though it wasn't immediate... it took time till eventually I thought "You know what? What am I playing this piece of shit?" Something along the lines of BETRAAAAAYL comes across my mind whenever someone mentions it now; serious, its amazing how much fun they sucked out of the game to the point I actually lose fun playing it till I can't keep going and need to get up and leave the room... That's perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but I really wasn't happy how that game turned out.

Crackdown 2, when they cut out all gang factions business and made it less Crackdown and more Brutal-Counterinsurgency-and-killing-zombies; I was furious when they kept the same location, but made it crappier.
I had a very similar experience with MW2, sadly.

As for me... it was Hearts of Iron 3. I loved HOI1 and 2, was expecting another golden strategy game to eat my soul, and what I got instead was a difficult to learn mess I still haven't given a proper shake. Eventually... when the sting wears away...

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Kathinka said:
see, i never could take that aspect of brothers of arms quite serious. simply due to the fact that, as dramatic and moving the deaths are portraied, it all goes to hell when 8 dudes slaughter entire batallions worth of german soldiers. somehow the cost of war is somehow mispotraied and all pretentions for realistic display of the horrors of war are involuntarely dropped when a handfull of americans are standing on a hill of smoldering nazi corpses numerous enough to populate several bavarian mountain village. the (very entertaining, nontheles!) band of brothers miniseries was guilty of this as well. i call it the "james ryan syndrome". unfortunately it's unavoidable. the audiences want to see glorious american heroes butchering the german subhumans by the hundreds. if any game or show displayed a serious and realistic ratio of deaths on both sides, most audiences, especially american ones, would be butthurt (butthurt by the truth, heh). and yet, that's exactly what it would take, for me at least, to take a serious message, like the brothers in arms games have, serious. i don't know why this one certain aspect of nonrealism bums me out so much, it just does.
I'm part-english so whenever I see the ""Heroic"" American cliched WW2 games/films my reflex causes me to shout "three years fucking late!" I can't take them seriously either. D-day wasn't an act of heroism, it was one of the most stupid offensive of all time. Plus the British character is always over stereotyped to hell and back.

Anyway, I actually like this new style as it looks like a parody and I loved Borderlands, I'm pre-ordering this.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Fanta Grape said:

The best looking, most magnificent and epic game ever made by Nintendo... and it's still terrible.
Wasn't that developed by Team Ninja?

Mustang678

Mar 27, 2011
XCOM

The second I saw DA2 was going to be a fantasy version of ME instead of a genuine sequel

woodaba

May 31, 2011
While I would say that Dragon Age 2 was the biggest betrayal I have felt about a game, they really didnt change that much, if you think about it. I was mainly betrayed because it was only an above-average game, while origins was a masterpiece.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
When I was watching footage of Fear 3, just to see what was what with this new installment, and noticed the regenerating health, with a two-weapon limit as the final kick in the balls (or, at least it would have been a kick in the balls if wasn't a girl). Fear is exactly the wrong kind of game to be aping Call of Duty, and it's just as simple as that.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
Zhukov said:
Fanta Grape said:

Wasn't that developed by Team Ninja?
Well, "ever made on a Nintendo console for a Nintendo franchise which was okayed by Nintendo," to be more accurate. The development team is one thing, but the fact that they weren't monitored for quality control is another, considering it's one of their big three.

dangitall

Mar 16, 2010
Command and Conquer 4. Maybe not as big as the other betrayals, but if you are going to remake the mechanics completely, you might as well call it something else. Glad I read the review before buying it.