Your biggest fuck-ups

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Today I made quite a big mistake. I literally caused a one-day delay of the startup of the LHC by fucking around with my software in a sector that was being commissioned. The LHC is split into 8 sectors, and I thought this one was not being worked on by anyone, so all day I kept restarting various equipment in the tunnel. Turns out about 10 guys at the CERN Control Center was pulling their hair out trying to understand why they couldn't start their tests. About 5 o'clock I get an angry phonecall from someone who figured out what I was doing, and one hour later the Technology section leader pays me a visit...

So yeah. That's a thing that happened and is definitely up there among my biggest stupid things I have done. Thought I'd make this thread to hear you guys' stories, maybe cheer me up a bit. Tomorrow I have a meeting with my supervisor.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Probably my entire first and only online relationship. Guess I learned a lot about myself throughout it so I suppose that's good.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let's just say I'm not good at detecting thieves at work (retail)...

EDIT- Oh yeah I just remember another big fuck uups when I was a kid-

One time I went swimming at the leisure centre with my mates but he just remenbered he had lost his swimming gear sometime afterward when we were at one of my mates houses. Also to make thing worse is that I forgot to wear my watch that day and I notice I was late for the time to go home (we were playing football when I realise the time).

Acting like a good mate, I say I will help him look for his lost gear first instead of heading home and when retracing our step failed, I finally head home only to get a screaming off my parent considering that I was late and did NOT phone them I was heading back home then and there! (This was before mobile phone were popular.)

Needless to say I was grounded for the weekend but my mate who lost his swim gear got it worse than me and in the end it was at the bus that he lost his swimming gear.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
I've been called before a disciplinary hearing for my job but I'm refusing to go lest I end up in prison.

CHECK AND MATE!

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
You can probably find some of it on these forums. I've written some stupid shit online and I will own up to it.

CrystalViolet said:
I've been called before a disciplinary hearing for my job but I'm refusing to go lest I end up in prison.

CHECK AND MATE!
well played sir.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I accidentally kicked out a window with my bare foot while rolling about on the couch the first time I was ever left home alone (it was only gonna be for 2 hours) and ended up leaving bloody footprints all over the house while I looked for bandages my mom had to come home from work and drive me to the ER and I got 13 stitches in my foot >___<

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
When my partner and I first went poly I made a couple of big fuckups.

I don't really want to go into the details (I can share one I guess, that we had our one and only screaming match during our transition). Suffice it to say, we were NOT ready to handle the everything of going from mono to poly, and I think it's a crazy testament to the strength and depth of our relationship that we are still together (and better than ever in many ways too. This story has a happy ending. *grins*)

That's probably my biggest one. Honestly. I've made a shit ton of small to medium fuckups, but that's the really huge one.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I helped cripple a US Aircraft Carrier for three days. Well, me and a bunch of other people, because all of us failed to see a mistake after maintenance was completed. I'm still amazed nobody got in real trouble for that.

Worse, I probably could have stopped it from happening if I had mentioned something before it happened. I didn't because I was crushed with other work at the time and I saw who was final checking the maintenance and knew he was smart enough to make sure he did the one thing...which he ended up not doing.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
Dalisclock said:
I helped cripple a US Aircraft Carrier for three days. Well, me and a bunch of other people, because all of us failed to see a mistake after maintenance was completed. I'm still amazed nobody got in real trouble for that.

Worse, I probably could have stopped it from happening if I had mentioned something before it happened. I didn't because I was crushed with other work at the time and I saw who was final checking the maintenance and knew he was smart enough to make sure he did the one thing...which he ended up not doing.
Yeah, it's always worth it to just ask, "Hey, is it supposed to be like this? No one has mentioned it, but it's pretty weird."

OT: My life has been a long precession of minor fuck ups lately, but I can't think of any really big fuck ups in my life. I guess I'm lucky that way.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
I said the meanest, most bully-est thing I hope I ever say to anyone ever... when I was 10 and had just moved to a new town and school. Sufficed to say I had a rough few years earning any respect or friendship. I'd come from a harsh, psuedo-gang mentality school where you were expected to be mean and tough, so when I showed up in a friendly Catholic school in the country (Greater Toronto Area to Newcastle) and called a kid a racist, inbred, hillbilly fuck he was speechless. He and his friends shunned me, and pretty much everyone in town thought I was some kind of bully. From a perspective I was, but I've changed. That moment has shaped who I am today, but I still feel terrible when I think about it. The single greatest mistake I've ever made, but I think I've earned most of it back. All that's left is for me to apologize, but I'm not sure I'm ready.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I bought groceries and found my 24 pack of hotdogs in a bag two days later. They're sealed so I'm going to try to eat them anyway, but if I'm not around for a week, know that I died being stingy.

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
Let me see...

I was 16 on a school trip to a ridge close to the city i live, in the middle of the trail i got lost, fell to another path and was unable to find my way to the rest of the group. Them, i tried to circle it and get to the road, but there were some farmhouses in the way, so after jumping some barbed wire fences, and get chased by some very big dogs ( i actually had to hurt one with a survival knife to keep him from killing me), i got into a farm that was...A Marijuana plantation. A big one, like those that drug dealers have?

Fearing for my life i decided to go back into the woods, i had a little survival training and was able to make a fire and had to spend the night in the woods, i noticed some movement and it wasn't a search party but the people responsible for the plantation looking for me with shotguns, I was able to evade them and when the sun was up i noticed that the only way for me would be up, so i started to climb the ridge. The worst part was a freaking waterfall that while climbing it i almost died 11 times, because of my lack of experience combined with the moss. After that, i continued climbing, because there is a town on the top of the ridge (it's a nice town, actually with a really amazing international jazz festival that happens every year), so, thinking about this i continued to do it until after using even coffee trees to climb everything, i finally got to the town and got back to civilization.

Really, i fucked up by my carelessness in falling of the trail.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I'm still a learner driver, yet I've done something that could easily have made it into one of those "driver fail" compilations on YouTube. I was sitting at a crossroads (no traffic lights, the town is far too small for that) yet I was not on the main road. But for some reason that I still do not know today, I thought I had right of way and just went on through. The only reason I didn't cause an accident was because the other vehicle on the main road was slowing down to turn.

Probably the lowest point in my life so far, and the one that made me feel the shittiest afterwards. I have no idea how the fuck I did that. Just mind blanked, I guess.

Edit: Also destroyed my motivation to continue driving as well.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I'm still a learner driver, yet I've done something that could easily have made it into one of those "driver fail" compilations on YouTube. I was sitting at a crossroads (no traffic lights, the town is far too small for that) yet I was not on the main road. But for some reason that I still do not know today, I thought I had right of way and just went on through. The only reason I didn't cause an accident was because the other vehicle on the main road was slowing down to turn.

Probably the lowest point in my life so far, and the one that made me feel the shittiest afterwards. I have no idea how the fuck I did that. Just mind blanked, I guess.

I had literally the same thing happen to me around 2 years ago, except I sped up when I realized my mistake and the incoming sports car was able to barely swerve and avoid me. He was speeding like a goddamn madman but he still technically had the right of way; I just didn't see him coming because I suck at driving.

My motivation to continue learning to drive was likewise obliterated.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Failing at self-improving. It's sometimes frustrating knowing that i would have liked to change, but couldn't.

Also i did hurt someone bad once... accident, also took his right of way, and he didn't (or couldn't) dodge it - rammed me from the side, motorcycle vs. a Volvo. Ended very badly for him, also for me.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
I almost screwed myself out of attending my second year of college. I really should've put more effort into studying for the exams, but it's hard to muster it up when you don't like the school you're attending.

But, with no job, no car and once again failing to get accepted into the "college" I want to attend, I need to do something. And I almost couldn't- My failed math exams almost set me up for a year with nothing going for me. Luckily, the guy I talked to was very understanding and let me attend, partly because the school really needs students.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:

Yoooooooooooooooo...

The same thing happened to me when I took my first license test. Except when the accident was going to happen I literally chocked, and the instructor pulled the E brake saving my ass, his ass, and the driver I was about to hit's ass.
If it makes you feel any better, suck up your mistake like a champ and don't give up. Because i'll have you know I got the same instructor that pulled the E brake on me my second test, franked to say I was internally screaming buuuuuut spoiler: I passed.

OT:
Besides the worst driving snafu of my life, the biggest f**k up involved a girl (yay...). At 15 I was genuinely at heart a nice person who cared for others, but I was beyond stupid when it came to how I worded things. At the time I finally had the guts to talk to an old crush who I had back in elementary school, and eventually befriended her through Facebook through simple chat. One day I overheard some not so nice things, bully level name calling things, from some pretty rude gals who I was affiliated with. Now I don't have a clue what my mind was thinking, maybe I thought I was being righteous or something, but I decided to let her know the EXACT name she was being called.

She was pissed at me, with every right to be. I was in shock at how stupid that was... so much so that I never even responded to her calling me out.
A month later after I tried to work up some shred of dignity and decided to call her to explain and just apologize. NOPE she shut me down like the plague and asked me to never speak to her again. To this day, I wish she'd punch me, I really do.

Speaking of punching, a year after that incident I woke up and accidentally mollywhopped my little 4 year old sis in the face, while my mom was watching.
How I have a girlfriend after f**ing up so bad with woman twice, I have no idea.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I didn't kill Hitler. In my defense, though, the time machine could only be used once (apart from the return trip, of course) and it's not like there'll ever be anything like Woodstock again.