Your Boycott List

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Launcelot111 said:
Budweiser, because I went to school with the grandson or something of one of the owners of Anheuser-Busch, and he was a colossal douche and I don't want to indirectly give him a cent of my money.
You could just boycott it because it's a terrible lager :D

That said, I can enjoy any beer, including Bud. While it's not something I'll generally pick, if it's offered, I'll enjoy it all the same.

Out of interest, was his douchiness in any way related to the fact he was living off Bud money? (get it?!)

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
EA, Activision and Ubisoft as far as publishing houses.

I wont buy DMC:Eurotrash reboot either and I'm pretty much ignoring Capcom in general.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
No boycotts, I just blacklist titles. Let's see....

Dante's Inferno, Bulletstorm, Halo, World of Warcraft... can't think of any others at the moment.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Bosque said:
I've finally had enough with EA, and am actively boycotting their products, starting several months ago.
So far only two properties I would have bought have been denied my purchase.

Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Sim City (due for release this spring)

Are there any games you have boycotted?
Only post if you actually WOULD have bought the game(and didn't), if not for ethical considerations.
In general I do not boycott, heck I don't even typically put people on ignore lists, killfiles, or report them, even when they troll me (which happens with some frequency on forums, I think the last couple of days here have been my higest count with like 3 trolls one after another), as someone, a person or company, could always change or add valuable input or perspective on another subject later.

I decided I'm not buying Dead Space 3, but that's because of what's in the product itself: the microtransaction system. Not because of a general boycott on EA products.

See if EA produces a product of a sort I want, and doesn't include that kind of cash grabbing nonsense, I will buy their product. I target the behavior, not the company over all.

I speak my mind frequently, my attitude has always been if you agree with me, do what I do. If not, don't. Trying to organize something as official as a formal boycott really isn't my style, especially over the internet where it's an exercise similar to herding cats. Rage from the internet is a powerful thing, but it's not typically something that can be intentionally directed by an individual.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I find the idea of boycotting regarding games to be stupid. Either buy the game if you'll enjoy it and don't if you won't. Simples.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Queen Michael said:
Vigormortis said:
If the game is made by Michel Ancel, I may buy it used, second-hand, or at an extremely steep discount. Like, say, Rayman Origins. If only to support the man and his team.
1. That's "Ancel." 2. If you're buying it used or second-hand then you're not supporting him.
In principle I am, if not monetarily. That was my point. If I can't buy it cheap, I'll buy it second. But really, why do you care?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I love that todays gaming culture actually lambasts people for NOT buying the shit game publishers put out.

It's as if they're saying, "How dare you not buy these games! How dare you have principles!"

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
romxxii said:
You're not really supporting Michel Ansel by buying his game used. He already made his residual when your copy was sold the first time around, so the only support you're providing is morale, and even then not much.
Sometimes morale support is enough. It shows people are willing to buy the games he crafts, but not under the banner of companies such as EA. This can, at times, speak volumes to a developer.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Oh... lemme see...
EA (pretty much forever), Ubisoft (at least until they tone back or remove their really fucking stupid DRM) and I might branch out to activision.... but then again, I don't have interest in them anyway, so eh...

Captcha:
SQUIRRELFRIEND
-Cut the shit, Todd.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I boycott moleskine because I refuse to support the notion that an a6 notepad with 80 pages of paper in it should be worth £12. That, and the bullshit about it being "Hemingway-approved" as if you're buying some long-lived cultural bastion of quality. And Apple, apple is just fucking disgusting. But I mean you can't really personally boycott, isn't that more of a preference thing? If you've entered an actual movement to abstain from using something then it's a boycott. Does culturally but not formally being averse to something for a specific set of reasons count as a boycott?

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
-EA.
Self Explanatory.

-Capcom.
I bought vanilla MVC3 DAY FRIKIN 1 60 DOLLARS FIGHTING GAME!!! cause I wanted to return to the Marvel vs Capcom universe since 2. Played it, enjoyed it, realized the menus were boring an bland, and game modes were non-existent, waited for more characters and game modes via DLC, then sold it out of pure anger when they announced Ultimate MVC3 and how people who bought the vanilla version get no compensation. Not to mention I disapproved of the DMC reboot, Capcom isn't getting a cent from me. Speaking of DMC...

-Ninja Theory.
Never bought a game from them actually, saw how they/Tameem handled the whole backlash from the DMC reboot, they really made sure I don't get anywhere near their games thats for sure!

-Team Ninja, the last straw with them was Other M, not to mention they helped introduce the video game equivalent of George Lucas: Yoshio Sakamoto.

The bright side, my money will go to companies that deserve it.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Any game that has been ruined because the publisher wants broader appeal, such as Dead Space 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist, two series I have supported since the beginning.

I've also avoided anything Moviebob has done ever since he acted like an absolute Ubercunt over the Mass Effect 3 ending.

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
I'd hate to boycott publishers like EA. Not that I approve of what they're doing, but because it doesn't actually hurt them, it hurts the developers, and I love games like Dead Space!
If I were to drop buying from any one, it would be Capcom. They're the publisher AND the developer.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Boycotting isn't the exact word I use for it but you won't see me buying games from EA.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
i also refuse to support apple, the reasons are almost too numerous to mention. But coupled with a bad personal experience with their customer service. and their sub par hardware and abhorrent business tactics, i had enough. Last apple product i bought was a an ipod from 2007, first and last. Apple has in fact just become worse as time has passed.

i boycotted EA a long time ago, basically due to DLC practices and general dislike for their schemes... the final straw was the origin online service being way too invasive with little transparency... also an issue i had with steam for a while and still do. so i have been boycotting EA since 2011

that also meant i didn't play ME3 which was my favourite franchise, however it also means i never got into the whole ending debacle

creamy5000

Nov 23, 2009
I wont buy any game that requires online all the time except for MMOs so....
blizzard games
Ubisoft games
EA and Activision are pretty close pissing me off too.

So I guess I am going to have to stop calling myself a gamer.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
yeah boycotting never works and you miss out on some really good games. Its better to write a letter or email to them in a calm mature manner telling them why your angrey with them. (beleave it or not they lisson to you maybe not the CEOs but the devs do cause their jobs depend on your money)

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Apple because they're too big and slinked off with the Blackberry Messenger when RIM was in the pits, and any game that's more popular than Mass Effect. Nothing deserves to be more popular than Mass Effect.