Your Character Could Be Anyone

Look-a-Hill

Nov 18, 2009
My character went from a crazy guy who I can't remember anything else about (SR2) to a business-y type woman (SR3) to Loras Tyrell (SR4) so I pretty much just accepted in my mind that The Boss is just Doctor Who with sliders.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I like that Saints Row has made an identity of its own. It really hit a niche that GTA actually left open with GTA IV. And now SR IV took some of Prototype 2 loll which is good for me

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
With the exception of 3 & 4 every time I've played a different Saints Row I've made a different character.

In SR2 on PS3 I had made a character similar to myself but in better shape with the English accent. In SR1 on 360 I made some really pale white guy with different facial hair & hair color. And because that came in a double pack for SR2 on 360 I made a Mime looking chick with painted on eyebrows.

And out of all of them the closest I came to naming them was Jack in SR2 on PS3, "I Guess That's Jack" in SR1 on 360, & "I Guess That's Jack If He Was Female In An Alternate Universe".... So technically I didn't name any of them.... I guess.... And I don't know how this is all going to pan out once I play SR2 on PC.

Due to awkward reasons I've never felt the urge to play as a Male in future sequels. Too much of my character being nude or whatever that felt like I would rather stare at a Female

So SR3 on PS3 became an unintended restart. A Saints Row Character that I had created finally had a personality of their own. As in this wasn't a character I (genuinely) wanted to be but to simply admire. She ended up being named Cheshire Cat Woman. And I had fallen in love with her Russian Accent & her obsession with Pierce Washington.

So when playing SR4 I couldn't help but to feel I lost her identity along with her Cat Woman pants & boots. Gone was the Russian Accent now replaced by a French Accent. And with that was gone with the affection she had with Pierce in SR3. Once again replace by the Everyone Hates Pierce Gag of SR2.

And to make matters worse I never got to have revenge on Dex. Or find out the world truly wasn't big enough for me to hide in when a certain someone would come back from his off screen death. Or even the fear of a "Life After Death" Mr. Sunshine.

I'm not even certain if I'm looking forward to the next Saints Row story if it isn't a reboot. A large part of what made Saints Row fun for me was my own head canon.... I suppose it'll only be fun game play wise from this point on for me.

MrFinnishDude

Apr 1, 2011
I have the same thing!
In saints row series I made a character named Equardo Mannwhor. He is a muscly and slick spaniard who works as a gigolo or simply said: a man whore.
As the series have progressed I have grown more fond of him and because of that when im searching for games, I try to find a game with character customisation so I can play as him.
It's odd how such a small thing as a fictional character can influence your game buying habits.
Does anyone have the same thing?

head desk tricycle

Aug 14, 2010
I've always seen narrative elements in a game as a shortcut type of thing. Like, the ideal would be a game where you actually do the scripted thing, but sometimes the designers can't figure out a way to incorporate that so they just show you doing it, or an approximation of you anyway.

theyellowmeteor

Sep 9, 2012
They say you can be anyone, but in Saints Row Four and The Third, you are restricted to a computer-illiterate shithead!

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
The level of character customization is what brought me to the Saints Row series and made it my favorite sandbox game.

You made a stellar article, and I enjoyed reading it!

Howling Din

Mar 10, 2011
Haven't played Saints Row IV. But the involvement of aliens actually sounds like the next logical step in the whole identity theme. Once you've reached the peak of fame among humans, then the biggest limit to your identity is the identity of humanity as a whole. Which your own identity is still subject to. Battling against non-humans from a different planet is a way to expand your sense of existence further, even after you've reached the top on earth among your fellow species.

Vale

May 1, 2013
I actually did the same thing of recreating my SR 2 character in subsequent games.
Also with the very British voice.
OH BOI WHAT A COINCIDENCE
Guy looked like Kratos in a suit though.
The Saints Row 3 engine is actually very good for making a guy that looks like Kratos and wears a suit.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I had a pretty well thought out theory that the SR2 boss and the SRT3rd boss were actually different people, and the different way activities were presented on each game were actually because of the different way they acted and thought. But SRIV destroyed that theory! Curse them!

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
In SR2, I roleplayed as some badass cockney version of The Mask
The sprinting & gliding powers in SR4 gave me a different idea and I played as Kaku from CP9 of One Piece, still with the cockney accent I was used to. I wasn't able to recreate his nose :(

The Saints really have written into a corner. I suppose the only way there can be a sequel is to have the Saints vs God. Parody of God of War. HA!

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
theyellowmeteor said:
They say you can be anyone, but in Saints Row Four and The Third, you are restricted to a computer-illiterate shithead!
Thats the problem with role-playing in SR. There is already some characterization given to your character whereas in Skyrim or Dragon Age, you determine every detail. Still, the folk around you are always pre-determined to regard you as a hero, no matter what you do.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
The aliens promote you from President to an action hero. You then escalate to either "the one" (ala the Matrix) or Superman.