Splice
Proteus
Symphony

Action games that put me in a trance:
Dragon Age 2
King of Fighters series
Angband
Unreal Tournament series

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I got for now.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Halo. Any of them. Just messin' about in campaign mode or good ol'fire fight. Either that or a nice beat'em up. Like Turtles in Time.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Terraria
Nothing like building a massive base or monument, or doing some exploring.
(Incidentally, 1.2 apparently comes out October 1st, or so the trailer teases)

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
decent Amnesia session
Amnesia is intense? I thought of it as pretty slow and relaxing compared to most of the games I play...but Skullgirls or any sort of fighting game? Yup, super fast-paced. I didn't even need to confirm that.

...maybe I need a custom story with a ton of jumpscares to get my blood pumping again...

But yeah, I play Minecraft to relax, as many seem to do here. It's really calming...until you die. Then it's extremely stressful. But other than that, maybe a little Elder Scrolls or a session of Killing Floor on a big map so the Specimens take a while to close the distance. Chivalry's pretty relaxing, too. I never take multiplayer too seriously, so I never get annoyed if I'm getting owned.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That would be Animal Crossing: New Leaf for me. I mean right now my character is on the tropical island trying to capture some exotic insect and fishs while listening to the mellow night tropic themetune. Can't get any more chillout than that!

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
I generally fire up anything that allows me to murder the shit out of as many people as possible with the least amount of effort, my general go to games for that are Prototype and Dynasty Warriors and such. Extremely morbid I know, haha, but its just so undeniably relaxing after a rough day.

Captcha: done that. I hope you mean play games like that, Captcha, I really hope you do.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Minecraft on creative mode, flying and building with music playing on another tab/i-tunes. Usually relaxing to a point, then you start to fret as you make a mistake in building design or if your palace doesn't look cool enough or if you've used one design far too many times...

Also Just Cause 2, fun times just flying around in jets, blowing up shit and grappling all over the place.

Juste Goose

Aug 1, 2013
Saints Row 2-4 are this for me. It's fun to walk around and just kind of hang out. Commit mass murder, but only if you feel like it. Fling yourself off a building, whatever. Follow some NPC around and watch them go about their business. Then strap a satchel charge to them.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Kyber said:
I found a great little free downloadable game called Boson X, I just try to get a highscore on the first level because the last two levels are far from relaxing, but I do recommend downloading it.
Off topic: Is Skullgirls a good buy? I've only played SF4 with friends with a PS3 controller, and I'm pretty horrible at combos (I'm an oldschool button smasher) EDIT: I deleted the quote because I can't seem to get it to work properly on this tablet.
Do you get Squigly along with the PS3 version of Skullgirls or are you going to just buy it on Steam? Do PS3 controllers work with PC anyway? The PS3 hardware is a little odd to say the least. I play the PC version with a 360 controller, it's a bit jarring to have to use the right trigger and bumper for attacks but you get used to it quickly. I'm not quite sure how easy it is to play a fighting game with a keyboard but it can be done.

If you can get friends to play with you go ahead, everyone has ridiculous setups and combos online so I would get good at one character first before jumping into that mess. The game is really well made and charming, even if the story is a bit barebones the characters make up for it in spades.

*sigh* My Filia, I had to drop her. The one balanced character has no place in a cast where they're all broken in different ways... She is the one you should learn the game with though, she's easy to pick up.

I picked Peacock to spite all those guys who have swag combos. Yeah see if you can combo me from THE OTHER END OF THE SCREEN! HA! She also has the best level 3 in the game. The pure style that oozes out of that cinematic is amazing.

[sub][sub]God whose idea was it to give a keepaway character 4 teleports as well as godlike keepaway tools?[/sub][/sub]
I use my Ps3 controller on PC usin MotioninJoy. It's quite good, it basically means that you can use the Ps3 controller on any game that you can use a 360 controller. Might pick up SG on Steam, might have trouble with the characters, because I like to play grabblers the most.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Funny you should ask. Actually to me the whole gaming thing is about relaxing for me. When I get to game it's either late evening after work or some time on weekends. It's much like watching a movie or reading a book while simultaneously keeping your hands busy. It's probably a bit different with horror games, but still...

With that in mind, when I really just want to let my mind wander, I'll have to go with Skyrim. Doing minor quests, sticking my nose in this or that dungeon, climb the highest mountain and clear the skies with that weather-influencing shout... It's nice.

Also, my brother and I have that thing where we play SW:TOR on two PC's at my place with a couple of beers. Also very relaxing.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Mainly animal crossing and Minecraft. Obvious choices Im sure. Though really any open world game can work. Messing around in Fallout 3 can be fun and relaxing too, especcially now that Im able to kill anything with ease.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Command & Conquer Generals usually or some other RTS, never multiplayer though. Something very calming about amassing your army & then totally destroying your enemy.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Rail shooters relax me. There's something about just reacting about stuff that goes by on it's own pace, and trying to beat your high-score.

Lylatwars and Umbrella Chronicles are amongst my favourites of this genre.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Flatfrog said:
Does this count?
http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

The Skinner Box to end all Skinner Boxes
I kind of hate you right now. I was nearly late for work today because of this. But on the other hand, I did get a good score ;)

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
piinyouri said:
Flatfrog said:
Does this count?

Oh god...what have you done.

*stares into the monitor while the sounds of incessant clicking can be heard for the rest of the night*

Well screw you... My entire night is now ruined for studying or paying attention in class. This is addicting and I am easily amused

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
If i'm playing a game to relax I generally turn to Borderlands (1 or 2). The dialogue and sheer absurdity of the game is highly cathartic.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
WoW Killer said:
Flatfrog said:
Does this count?

I kind of hate you right now. I was nearly late for work today because of this. But on the other hand, I did get a good score ;)
It's crazy isn't it? I'm up to half a quadrillion cookies total now, and for what, dammit? Just to make more fricking cookies.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Flatfrog said:
WoW Killer said:
Flatfrog said:
Does this count?

It's crazy isn't it? I'm up to half a quadrillion cookies total now, and for what, dammit? Just to make more fricking cookies.
Started off crazy addictive for me. Sat there for hours just watching, occasionally using the old "trembling finger" technique when I'd find a gold cookie that up'd my multiplier.

Now that I've got around 185 million lovely cookies being cranked out every second, the process has slowed down quite dramatically. The upgrades are costing a LOT that usually take around an hour to get, and a lot of them aren't even helping that much.