Your computer knowledge

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
I am requesting help from my fellow Escapists. For a technical writing class for my university, I need to know, in general, what people know about computers who are also gamers. I need to write a paper directed toward a specific audience, and I would like to write it such that the average Escapist would understand. So if I am able to get your feedback, I would be most appreciative.

Edit: My poll didn't work for some reason. Ah well, written responses would work better for me anyway.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I a comp. sci. major in college so I think I got ruled out of the general population. Oh well, back to C++.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Well, I know enough about computers to make a functioning poll ;)

But seriously, most of my computer knowledge comes from trial and error, or Google. It's not so much about knowing specific fixes to computer problems, because there are millions of problems and you'll never know the solutions to even 10% of them. You have to know how to figure things out. I feel like I have enough basic understanding to figure out what I need.

smallthemouse

Feb 21, 2011
In my experience alot of people know alot less about computers than they think they do.

See: feedback section on newegg for any harddrive with "5 egg" tech level members complaining that they have less disk space than advertised.

Terror_666

Jan 7, 2009
Network Engineer by profession and enough Microsoft knowledge to fix most problems without having to resort to Google.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
I've built several computers and can program in 5 languages. The building part is a hobby but programming I definitely need to know.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Currently enrolled as a Comp. Sci. major at uni, so I like to think I know a bit more knowledge about computers than the average individual. ;)

As for what I actually know, I can program in both Java and C++ (though I am a bit rusty on the C++ side), I have a general understanding how a computer works, I understand what all the separate components do, and I have built my own computer. EDIT: Oh yeah, I also know how to hook up routers, how to design a proper routing scheme, and how to get a router to route packets.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
I can build computers and I seem to be able to do more complicated things than the average person as I usually find myself helping people sort their computer problems out. However when it comes to programming languages I have no clue and no real desire to learn how to program either. I just work with putting hardware together and knowing how to use the programs that I use and use them well.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
I know how to pick out parts, assemble a computer, and set it up (install an OS ect) and some basic programming, but apart from that I'm pretty newb.

Jay Knowles

Aug 24, 2010
pretty much everything i know about computers is self learned from necessity, i.e. playing with settings then having to figure out what iv'e done, or when i was at school, how to get around their net restrictions etc. taught myself how to use blender so i could mod oblivion.

i'd say i had a basic understanding of how computers work (in comparison to say, someone who writes code for a living). i know pretty much everything someone would need to know in order to play pc games, and to fix any problems one might encounter as a result of gaming on a home built pc...

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
I click this thingy and type in words works pretty well for me.

But seriously I figure most things out by myself or through the internent.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
I know enough to change drive or RAM cards. Dont know what they're really called (the ones that sit at a 90* angle with mother board). Can also remove viruses and such. All thanks to reverse engineering, it's re-engineering part i have the most trouble with. Why won't the chip go back in ?:(

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
I know how to change RAM, how to install a Hard drive, a Disc drive, a cooling unit, how to tinker with BIOS settings of all types, how to change a processor, and how to manually search and destroy basic viruses, but I don't know much about the numbers or the science of the whole lot, if you know what I mean. I guess I'm just good with logical reasoning.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I know how to build computers, though I've never fully built one from the ground-up before. This Thursday however, that will all change.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I know where the on button is.

Serious: I know very basic HTML. That's it. If I do need help with something I ask my brother or I Google it. I have helped my brother with building my computer and I could probably fiddle a little with it on my own, but I'd rather not. I tend to break shit =/

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I can strip my rig's components and put similar components back in. I've replaced hard drives, power supplies and video cards, along with RAM, and I know my way around the more recent drive types (SATA vs IDE, for the most part).

Once every year, I format my rig and rebuild my Windows installation from scratch. That includes partitioning my hard drive on my own and going through the rigmarole of making sure *everything* I could possibly need is installed before I try anything specific.

If something starts acting weirdly, I'm a little less self-assured. I can muck around the BIOS if I need to, but I always ask someone who's actually a techie as part of his job description before I attempt anything. I typically don't need said techie to intervene - I'm usually happy with a couple pointers.

Back in college, I took basic Comp. Sci classes, to find out that wasn't for me. I'm too much of a Lit geek to be able to sit through Javascript, HTML, Lingo or Flash and enjoy it, but I've done that nonetheless. I've brushed up and maintained my HTML and CSS, but I couldn't be asked to code a Flash animation or a Shockwave presentation to save my life. Javascript is *waaay* out back in a corner of my mind; I doubt I'd be able to do much with it if it weren't for the wealth of knowledge bases available online.

So I do know a little more about computers than your average Joe Blow, but I couldn't be expected to pull off a full-time IT position. You could say I know enough to not assume, like so many amongst my teachers and peers, that PCs are good only for hopeless nerds.

There's a Mac cult on campus; I swear. Besides, confronting anyone from the Esoteric Order of Steve Jobs is a waste of time. Not that it stops them from confronting *you*. It's like the idea that I'll use a PC to type out my thesis seems absolutely ludicrous to them!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Mechanically I am competent, I can build a machine and trouble shoot hardware pretty well. I can't really do much on the software side. I can fix most problems I come across in general use but sometimes I need to "google it". I can muddle through scripting in Linux barely, but I need a reference book or website handy or I'll get lost. Some basic HTML and BBcode. The thing is I'm not afraid to try and fix things myself and I still manage to learn things everyday. Given some time I think I could set up an AUTOEXEC.BAT to run some dos games.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I did a technical writing class over the summer, one of my papers was on RAM and it gave all sorts of details on the history of ram and how to upgrade it in desktops and laptops and how to tell what type of ram you need.