Your Dark Souls 2 Builds

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
The only thrusting attack that the heide knight sword has is a rolling thrust as far as I'm aware. One handed heavy attack is just a wide horizontal swing.
I never liked the Heide Sword moveset either.

If you are using the Winged Spear now, that must mean you have at least 18dex, right? If you dont mindt putting 8 more points in dex you could really go for the Black Knight Halberd or the Heide Spear. Then you had a Cleric with a really good weapon and had the option to go for a cool dex/faith build later if you like.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Chris Tian said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
The only thrusting attack that the heide knight sword has is a rolling thrust as far as I'm aware. One handed heavy attack is just a wide horizontal swing.
I never liked the Heide Sword moveset either.

If you are using the Winged Spear now, that must mean you have at least 18dex, right? If you dont mindt putting 8 more points in dex you could really go for the Black Knight Halberd or the Heide Spear. Then you had a Cleric with a really good weapon and had the option to go for a cool dex/faith build later if you like.
I'm not using the winged spear yet, I don't have the souls to level my dex at the moment. I'll probably go kill Old Dragonslayer and that should give me enough souls to level up to use the winged spear. I'm also considering using the estoc, since that's another favorite of mine from Dark Souls 1. I'll look into the black knight halberd, if you can use it from behind a shield now then that sounds amazing.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
I'm not using the winged spear yet, I don't have the souls to level my dex at the moment. I'll probably go kill Old Dragonslayer and that should give me enough souls to level up to use the winged spear. I'm also considering using the estoc, since that's another favorite of mine from Dark Souls 1. I'll look into the black knight halberd, if you can use it from behind a shield now then that sounds amazing.
I picked up the Halberd because it had very good dmg and stat scaling for my build(scales great with dex and decent with str) and when I found out that you can use it like a spear now from behind your shield, I giggled like a little boy who got a cool bike for christmas.

The Halberd does an overhead slash for standard onehanded attack and a spear like thrust if you raise your shield and use the standard onehanded attack. Its locatet in the shaded woods.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Chris Tian said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
I picked up the Halberd because it had very good dmg and stat scaling for my build(scales great with dex and decent with str) and when I found out that you can use it like a spear now from behind your shield, I giggled like a little boy who got a cool bike for christmas.

The Halberd does an overhead slash for standard onehanded attack and a spear like thrust if you raise your shield and use the standard onehanded attack. Its locatet in the shaded woods.
it's near the bonfire in the shade woods(like way in) it's in a chest.

I giggled like a little boy who got a cool bike for christmas.
I basically had the same reaction but a lot more intense. I was feeling really board with the game (since I had already beaten it twice) and wanted to try out a new build that wasn't the basic DEX/INT/FTH/STR builds. So I decided on a quality based around the BLKH. as Soon as i got it my enthusiasm for the game came back ten fold.

it also does a fair bit of fire damage making it god for faith builds.

though did you find that it degrades much faster then other Halberds?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Chris Tian said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

I just looked up the stats for it online.

Oh wow. OH WOW!

At +5 it has an attack rating of 320 + 130 fire + a B in dex scaling + a C in Faith scaling.

I think I'm in love.

<_<

It can also be imbued with lightning so that it does both lightning AND fire damage simultaneously.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
weirdo8977 said:
I basically had the same reaction but a lot more intense. I was feeling really board with the game (since I had already beaten it twice) and wanted to try out a new build that wasn't the basic DEX/INT/FTH/STR builds. So I decided on a quality based around the BLKH. as Soon as i got it my enthusiasm for the game came back ten fold.

Degradation was never an issue for me through the whole game, neither with the Halberd nor with any other weapon. So to answer your question, I have no clue :D

The Black Knight Halberd replaced the Drangleic Sword as my weapon of choice for my STR/DEX build. After dex and str hit 50 the dmg stoped to raise in any significant way so I started putting points in INT to raise the fire dmg on the Halberd and the magic dmg on my Dragon Rider Bow.

What exactly is a "quality based around the BLKH"? I read the term "quality build" now multiple times, but never bothered to look up what that means.

Dirty Hipsters said:
Oh wow. OH WOW!

At +5 it has an attack rating of 320 + 130 fire + a B in dex scaling + a C in Faith scaling.

I think I'm in love.

<_<

It can also be imbued with lightning so that it does both lightning AND fire damage simultaneously.
Hihi, its my favorite weapon for a reason. I think its even considered one of the best weapons in the game by quite alot of people.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Chris Tian said:
weirdo8977 said:

Degradation was never an issue for me through the whole game, neither with the Halberd nor with any other weapon. So to answer your question, I have no clue :D

The Black Knight Halberd replaced the Drangleic Sword as my weapon of choice for my STR/DEX build. After dex and str hit 50 the dmg stoped to raise in any significant way so I started putting points in INT to raise the fire dmg on the Halberd and the magic dmg on my Dragon Rider Bow.

What exactly is a "quality based around the BLKH"? I read the term "quality build" now multiple times, but never bothered to look up what that means.
A "quality" weapon is a weapon that scales with multiple stats equally or nearly equally. They're weapons for people who don't want to choose between having a strength based class or a dex based class.

vIRL Nightmare

Jul 30, 2013
I'm running a level 190 Dex/Hex/Pyro(I'll use either hex or pyro not both at once) build with the Black hood, robes, and gloves with the dragonrider boots. Weapons I'll use the espada, Chaos blade, Syan Halberd (Dark and fire versions of all three) as well as a poisoned spotted whip or manslayer and the watcher shield, needless to say I use what is convenient at the time. Rings are according to whim the only exception being the third dragon ring attached to my finger and usually the chloranthy ring. Rather easy to scale the build down to 150 I only boosted because dat soul memory. Whats nice about the setup is that I can get sub 50%, sub 40% if I wanted, carry weight for outstanding rolls and stamina regen which is a boon to my aggressive play style. Also outstanding fire, lightning, magic, dark, poison, and bleed resistance across the board providing great defence against the main threat in pvp, anything not physical (so sad for my semi retired quality build). Also it satisfies my fashion souls compulsion.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
A "quality" weapon is a weapon that scales with multiple stats equally or nearly equally. They're weapons for people who don't want to choose between having a strength based class or a dex based class.
Ah, okay so basically what I did with my character. I never got why somebody would go just for str, most weapons scale at least a little bit with a second stat and at some point raising the second stat will raise dmg more because of the diminishing returns.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Chris Tian said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Ah, okay so basically what I did with my character. I never got why somebody would go just for str, most weapons scale at least a little bit with a second stat and at some point raising the second stat will raise dmg more because of the diminishing returns.
If you're min/maxing a character it makes sense to pump stats into strength or dex and not both because of the level threshold for invasions. You can't invade people who are lower level than you (at least not with red eye orbs), so in order to have a larger pool of invasions you want to keep your level low, and therefore you want to only pump points into stats that are essential.

At least that's how it worked in Dark Souls 1, but with the soul memory system in dark souls 2 invasions are so screwed up I have no idea how they work anymore. That's part of the reason why I'm doing my first run through of Dark Souls 2 completely offline, because I don't understand how invasions work in this game and I'm really hoping they patch it so that I won't have to learn.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
If you're min/maxing a character it makes sense to pump stats into strength or dex and not both because of the level threshold for invasions. You can't invade people who are lower level than you (at least not with red eye orbs), so in order to have a larger pool of invasions you want to keep your level low, and therefore you want to only pump points into stats that are essential.

At least that's how it worked in Dark Souls 1, but with the soul memory system in dark souls 2 invasions are so screwed up I have no idea how they work anymore. That's part of the reason why I'm doing my first run through of Dark Souls 2 completely offline, because I don't understand how invasions work in this game and I'm really hoping they patch it so that I won't have to learn.
Ah okay, I get it. So its a PVP thing, but I did not make an error pure dmg wise? I rarely play online too, multiplayer is just not what I want from my games.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:

Oh wow. OH WOW!

I think I'm in love.

<_<

Unless your going some kind of faith build I cant see why you would want lightning.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
weirdo8977 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Oh wow. OH WOW!

I think I'm in love.

<_<

Unless your going some kind of faith build I cant see why you would want lightning.
He statet earlier that he is going for a Cleric or am I mistaken?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
weirdo8977 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Oh wow. OH WOW!

I think I'm in love.

<_<

I AM doing a faith build. Also, why wouldn't you want lightning? Like 70% of the bosses in this game are weak to it.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
weirdo8977 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Oh wow. OH WOW!

I think I'm in love.

<_<

I AM doing a faith build. Also, why wouldn't you want lightning? Like 70% of the bosses in this game are weak to it.
I checked it out last night and it took away 50 points form fire and physical attacks to add 63 lighting. I don't really see that as much of an improvement. then again its only +2 so idk it might get better later at +5.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You know, the more I use the Heide Knight Sword the more I kind of like it. At first I didn't particularly care for the move-set because of the lack of a thrust attack, but I think that was mostly disappointment due to the fact that I really wanted to use the leo ring I'd just gotten, and the expectation that the heide knight sword would be similar to the longsword or balder side sword from Dark Souls 1.

Now that I've gotten used to the move-set I'm actually rather enjoying it. The upward slash on the R1 attacks does wonders for hitting enemies that are close to the ground, like dogs or hollows trying to ambush you, and I have yet to meet an enemy that was resistant to lightning damage. So far it's been a really good weapon to me, along with the mace I have as my back-up.

I've tried out a few other weapons, the fire longsword, the estoc, the winged spear, and I just haven't liked them nearly as much. The estoc especially disappointed me even though I loved it in dark souls 1, but I think my major problem when using it was that I didn't have enough stamina to be poking from behind a shield (yay for being a weapon apologist).

I think I'm going to stop being so stingy with my titanite and upgrade this baby a little.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
I've been hearing about an Oberyn Martell Build? anyone can confirm the stats and weapons for this?