Your Family History

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Well I'm descended from the Huguenots on my mother's side and I'm Scottish on my father's side.
Though both families have been English for centuries so I don't count myself as either.
My mother's side has no motto, but my father's family has a motto, coat of arms and a tartan.

Translates as 'For Liberty'.
So yes, my bloodline at least partially goes back to the same clan as William Wallace. I never claim to be a direct descendant because I get annoyed at people who do that when they can never prove it.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
My grandfather studied our bloodline back and found out that I am apparently a relative (albeit extremely distant, but who cares?) to effing Charlemagne :D Also thrown in are some dukes/dukettes (yeah, I have no idea what the female word for duke is) and at least one Russian executioner.

Being a history-freak/nerd, I do farely often brag about the Charlemagne part.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
White_Lama said:
My grandfather studied our bloodline back and found out that I am apparently a relative (albeit extremely distant, but who cares?) to effing Charlemagne :D Also thrown in are some dukes/dukettes (yeah, I have no idea what the female word for duke is) and at least one Russian executioner.

Understandable.
I will just point this out though.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Esotera said:
Original very lengthy post here.
The only tip I can give that I know my grandfather used was a hell of a long time in libraries studying old church books for recorded births, but well, that might be easy here in Sweden as we recorded that stuff quite easily, don't know about the other countries.

You could also try out myheritage.com, should be easy to use if my weekly subscriptions to different historical magazines are correct ^^

Basal

Jun 3, 2010
White_Lama said:

- Mathematically speaking, everyone in Europe is related to Charlemagne. This is because everyone has two parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents and so on. By the time you get to the 13th century, you have more direct ancestors than have ever been human beings - about 80 billion. Therefore you must have shared ancestors. In 1995, a man called Mark Humphries at Dublin University discovered this information. He discovered his was wife was King Edward III's great-granddaughter 20 generations down the line. After closer examination, he discovered his wife was also related to Hermann Goring and American explorer Daniel Boone. He then managed to calculate the mathematics of the information. Correction: It is not true about the realtionship with Daniel Boone. However, West people are ultimately related include Boswell, de Sade, Goethe, Darwin, Francis Bacon, David Hume, Bertrand Russell, Bill Gates, Marie Antoinette, Valery Giscard d'Estaing, Anthony Eden, Lewis Carroll, Hugh Grant, Guy Ritchie, Brad Pitt, Rupert Everett, Ralph Fiennes, Johnny Dumfries, Barack Obama, George Bush Senior and junior and David Cameron.

Sorry dude

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Basal said:
And mathematically I'm related to you too aren't I? I mean, if we go back to the first humanoids and then go from there.

I don't care if everyone else is related to him aswell, I'm sure as hell happy that I am :)

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
As far as I know they were mainly Swedish farmers, (probably)Indian gypsies and Wallonian Belgians. Not the most intresting history. Guess the gypsy side might be something, but we don't know much about it. My great grandmother had an affair with an Indian gyspy and most probably spawned my grandfather.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
i don't really know. but yesterday i found out that my family was a danish noble family. on my mother side. YOU'RE NOT WORTHY OF MY PRESENCE! BOW FOR ME PEASANTS!

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I've managed to trace my paternal line back 12 generation (this great-great-...-grandfather was born in the 1580s), and up to him they've all be smalltime local farmers. Nothing too interesting really, probably the most interesting part is that in those 12 generations I've been the one to move the farthest away from the place he was born (about 50 miles).

Mazza35

Jan 20, 2011
My great great uncles (They died in the same battle, one was running to save the another because he was wounded, non-wounded one got shot in the head :/) (Mothers side) fought in WWI, I think that alone is something to be proud of.
Also my great grandfather was in the Bersaglieri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bersaglieri)
Pretty much elite marksman for the infantry, they had cool feathers in their hats.