Your favorite album nobody has heard of.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Pretty much all of them. *hipster glasses*

One of them would have to be 01010101 or the self-titled by Portraits of Past. Not a very amazing name or anything for an album, but my God, the quality. It's full of unforgettable tracks.

Others would be the I Would Set Myself On Fire For You self-titled, the MRTA Benefit album by Anomie(a hardcore feminist "screamo" hardcore band, with an incredibly emotional, chaotic, crusty, musty, dusty, rain drenched, lo-fi, and amazing sound), Coaltar of the Deepers the Penguin e.p. Blood Stain Child the Epilson album. Melodies for the Devil by Amduscia, and quite a few others.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I haven't srounged up the money to buy their album (and I will pay for it, because they're pretty small), but there's a band called Time is a Thief. If you can, please take a listen.

Captcha: face the music

Hell yeah I will.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

VDGG was relatively well-known back in the 70s - 80s, but seem to have fallen into obscurity now. Shame, because they are one of the best prog bands that have ever existed. For me, Pawn Hearts is the pinnacle of Progressive Rock.

Alternatively, Crash - Yes Sir I Will

What is there to say about Crash? Perhaps the most political punk group ever, their sound is chaotic and difficult to "get into". Yes Sir I Will is my personal favourite punk album ever.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Really, any album from Skyclad, but especially A Semblance of Normality and In The...All together.

Pure folk-metal gold right there.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That depends. Have people heard of Selected Ambient Works II?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DDbWsnZxpdk/Tx8_FDCL7gI/AAAAAAAAAPM/H0jEqPx95Fk/s1600/cover.jpg

Because if they haven't, that's my answer. I may or may not be stroking my vinyl copy as I type. (Spoiler alert: I actually am. I need help.)

If people have heard of that one, then I'll pick Music Has the Right to Children by the Boards of Canada. Kathleen de Vere fans know this one, because she has an even bigger crush on it than I do.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
lacktheknack said:
That depends. Have people heard of Selected Ambient Works II?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DDbWsnZxpdk/Tx8_FDCL7gI/AAAAAAAAAPM/H0jEqPx95Fk/s1600/cover.jpg

Because if they haven't, that's my answer. I may or may not be stroking my vinyl copy as I type. (Spoiler alert: I actually am. I need help.)

If people have heard of that one, then I'll pick Music Has the Right to Children by the Boards of Canada. Kathleen de Vere fans know this one, because she has an even bigger crush on it than I do.
Hehe Aphex Twin. Yeah I have that too, brilliant piece, quite different than the other stuff.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009

I first found out about Joan Wasser through her connection to Jeff Buckley (ex-girlfriend), and when I finally sat down to listen to her albums I was quite impressed. She's got a beautiful voice, and can do loud rock songs just as well as quiet ballads.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
I grew up in New Hampshire, and I have two local bands (both sadly broken up now) that I'd like to tell you all about:

Say Zuzu
These guys are often described as "Alt Country"; I think "New Hampshire Country" works. These guys are not Country Western, so if you normally dislike Country, you should still check them out.

Buy Say Zuzu's music here [http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/SayZuzu]

Purge d.i.

These guys are a rock band, and I like their riffs, but the main attraction for me is the vocals. If you like Tool, you should take a listen.

Buy Purge di's music here [http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/purge]

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Not very obscure, since most people on the internet have heard of them, but almost everyone I talk to is either "I hate them, they sound like a bad 80's band" or "Who are they?"

I'll go with my favorite band: Coheed and Cambria. The album: Second Stage Turbine Blade
failing that I'll use the same singer, but his side project The Prize Fighter Inferno.

MasterNeon

Jun 28, 2010
The Exploding Hearts "Guitar Romantic" one of the greatest tragedies in rock and roll because after this phenomenal album came out, the entire band was killed in a car crash.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Release Me by The Like. They've only done two albums so far and Release Me is their second album but it's basically what would happen if you took a 1960s rock band and had them make music today and it works crazy well. Plus most of the songs on the album are actually good.
They don't have a whole lot of songs on youtube but here's one...

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Templeton pek - scratches and scars is a pretty sweet album. They are sort of the British version of rise against...sort of.

Burnings borders - Truth and logic. Hardly anyone knows them but I think they are pretty good. Nothing unique but still good none the less.

nobodysomebody

Jun 30, 2011
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
This. Absolutely this.

Ahh you beat me. I was gonna say this one, but there are like two others I absolutely love that literally no one (that I know) knows.

Working For a Nuclear Free City- Businessmen and Ghosts

and

Grand National- Kicking The National Habit
an honorable mention for me would be Home Video's No Certain Light or Morning