Your Favorite Anime Movies

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I've been in the mood for some new anime lately, but I don't really feel like investing the time to watch an entire series, unless it's very short (like 13 episodes or less). I want to check out some really good original movies. By original I just mean movies that aren't based on an anime series. I've never been a fan of the type of movies that just try to summarize an entire series, in 90 minutes or so. So what, in your opinion, are the best anime movies?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not a fan of much anime, me, but:

Ghost in the Shell.

No really, watch that. It's something you have to pay attention to, though, and very obviously inspired in some of its visuals by Blade Runner.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
00slash00 said:
By original I just mean movies that aren't based on an anime series. I've never been a fan of the type of movies that just try to summarize an entire series, in 90 minutes or so.
That's not what anime movies based on series do though. They typically tell stories secluded from its TV counterpart, with an ending that returns everything to the status quo, so as not to upset the story of the main series. So yeah, bit different, but still worth avoiding.

Anyway, best anime movies...

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Tokyo Godfathers
Perfect Blue
Paprika
Neo Tokyo Labyrinth
Robot Carnival
Memories
Jin-Roh
Patlabor
Patlabor 2
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

These are really the top dogs.

There's also other lesser, but still enjoyable ones, like Street Fighter 2, Spriggan, Vampire Hunter D, Sword of the Stranger, Arrietty, and Redline.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Have you delved much into Studio Ghibli? They are the champs of anime movies. Most of my list will be them. If you like fantasy;

- Laputa Castle in the Sky
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
- Princess Mononoke
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Howl's Moving Castle
- Porco Rosso
- Spirited Away
- Arriety
- My Neighbour Totoro

There are others but these ones are my personal favorites (roughly in descending order).

If you want something more realistic, Studio Ghibli aren't quite as good at it but still have some masterpieces;

- From up on Poppy Hill (my favorite "serious" one)
- Grave of the Fireflies (won't tug at your heartstrings, it will claw them right out)
- Whisper of the Heart

As for non-Ghibli ones... the only one that comes to mind is The Girl who leapt through time which is easily my favorite "anime non-Ghibli" movie.

If you've already seen half of these and decided that you don't care for Studio Ghibli then... I'm afraid I can't help :p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well you can't go wrong with any Studio Ghibli films well except for Tales from Earthsea.

Also honourable mention got to go with Satoshi Kon films like Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Ctr+F: Summer Wars not found. Serously, wtf people? If Ghibli and Pixar had a baby, it would be Summer Wars.

Other than that, there's Satoshi Kon's body of work, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, (sigh) Paprika, and a couple others I haven't seen.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is pretty fantastic. The director of that also made Wolf Children, which I haven't seen yet.

So those are some things.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I'm a big Satoshi Kon fan, so as the above stated, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika.

Also, check out The Wolf Children if you haven't. It's from the same creator as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars, two more good anime films, but to me it's his best film and my new favorite anime movie.

rockoffanddie

Apr 8, 2009
Studio ghibli are all good (porco Rosso is the best imo), ghost in the shell is amazing (although I do actually prefer stand alone complex), akira is a masterpiece, sky crawlers is good but confusing. Though probably the best anime film I have watched within the last couple of years is actually none of the above, it is actually summer wars, it is brilliant and anyone with any appreciation for anime at all should watch it if they have not already done so.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
Ok so there are the obvious ones, all the movies by Studio Ghibli or Satoshi Kon. Then also these ones:

Kara no Kyoukai(technically movies but there's 7 of them so)
Hosoda Mamoru movies: The girl who leapt through time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children: Ami and Yuki
Shinkai Makoto movies: 5 Centimeters per second, Voices of a Distant Star, The Garden of Words, The Place Promised in our Early Days
Hotarubi no Mori e
Piano no Mori
Redline
Eve no Jikan

That should keep you going for awhile.

As for the Ghost in the Shell suggestions, I personally think the series(Stand Alone Complex) is better and would go with that instead of watching the original movies.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
My favorite is Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. I also remember a really cool Kenshin/Samurai X movie I watched a really long time ago.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Dr. Cakey said:
Ctr+F: Summer Wars not found. Serously, wtf people? If Ghibli and Pixar had a baby, it would be Summer Wars.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is pretty fantastic. The director of that also made Wolf Children, which I haven't seen yet.

So those are some things.
I'm honestly amazed that there hasn't been more Mamoru Hosoda stuff mentioned yet! I love Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and I've preordered Wolf Children on Amazon for a Christmas present for my dad (and if don't get a copy, then one for myself later).

As everyone else has said, Studio Ghibli movies are usually pretty good. I can't watch more than one at a time though, they often get a little preachy towards the end.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Princess Mononoke - saw it in cinema a few years back, there was a week here in denmark where you could see old movies in cinema again.. first time i ever saw it.. damn.. awesome movie.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
There's always Puella Magi Madoka Magica. That's only 12 episodes.
And then there is the live action adaption of Uzumaki, if you want to puke.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
My favourite is Gyo. It makes me laugh and it terrifies me, both at the same time.

My genuine faves would be Tokyo Godfathers & Paprika. Speaking of Godfathers, does anyone happen to know of any other Christmas anime films? I'm talking stand-alone features, not 'Toradora does Christmass-uu speciaruu!' etc. I can't tell you how many people have suggested specials when I've specifically asked for them not to.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I haven't seen many, but the only one I've truly enjoyed is Princess Mononoke so far. Spirited Away and Hal's Moving Castle are 2nd for me. Also, I liked the first DBZ movie with Brolly (though the ending sucked), and some others based on popular anime, but that's it.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Appleseed Machina was pretty awesome, I could consider that my first anime movie...But also I'd say Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children was great and is close to my heart.

I do wanna watch Space Captain Harleck...as I wait for that to come here...

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The Kara no Kyoukai movies are pretty fantastic, though confusing on the first watchthrough.