Your favorite book/book series?

Reven

Feb 7, 2012
Out of curiosity what is your favorite book or book series? Personally current favorite would have to be the kingkiller chronicles, for so many reasons, but my personal favorite being the realism of the world itself.

So what about yours?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Currently, I'm reading Dresden, Horus Heresy (W40K), and Ciaphas Cain (W40K) books as they come out.

The Dresden files are probably my favorite at the moment.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
My favourite series would be Robert E. Howard's Conan saga. As for a specific book from that series, I'm not sure. Most of them were very good, though I haven't read them now for some time. I couldn't honestly tell you. I also really like Steven Pressfield's ancient Greek series of books, my favourites being Gates of Fire and Virtues of War.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Not a big fan of series(es?). I loved Blood Meridian, and I've been reading a lot of Phil K. Dick lately.

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
Favourite book? Slaughterhouse 5 is a pretty good contender, as are Good Omens and Hogfather. Favourite book series? Discworld, bar none.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009

I am currently re-reading Dresden Files though. That and Codex Alera, as well as Memory of Light.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
My two absolute favorite books are Perfect Dark: Initial Vector and Perfect Dark: Second Front, with Initial Vector probably leading the two at the moment for me.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
The Dresden Files, The Dark Tower, The Wheel of Time, and while I didn't enjoy reading The Lord of the Rings, I did immensely enjoy The Hobbit (I enjoy the fantasy genre, in case you hadn't noticed).

I've just recently begun the first book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I'm a little less than 1/3 of the way in, and I'm enjoying it so far. The author does a good job of giving you just enough information about the world to keep you interested, but keeps enough shrouded in mystery for you to want to keep reading to find out more.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
The Tales of Malus Darkblade as a series, but if i had to pick 1 of them, the 5th and final Lord of Ruin.

Also you may want to sic a pack of dogs on me after i say this, but The Da Vinci Mystery comes close though.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Hmm... Hard choice... But, as something different, I'll pick Ranger's Apprentice or the Bartimaeus books.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Book: Darkness at Noon: Fictional retelling of the imprisonment of a high ranking official of the USSR, mirroring the show trials and executions of Russia's Great purge. It's a scathing indictment of Russia at a time when doing so was extremely unpopular. It's extremely well written by a German ex-communist and so accurate of the actual conditions that I had a professor who used it as a source document in a Sovietology class.

It's probably the most well put together book I've ever read. Good imagery and prose. No space wasted. Discusses multiple interesting ideas and presents it's overall theme perfectly.

Series: I Robot and the Foundation contiguous universe. Grand themes in a gigantic universe over a long timescale. I especially liked the detective novels with Elijah Baley.

MetaKnight670

Apr 3, 2011
My favourite series is the Troy trilogy by David Gemmell. I must have read them at least 4 times over, but I still keep coming back to them anyways.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
If I had to pick one it would be Ranger's Apprentice, absolutely love that series! If I could have two, The Night Angel Trilogy would be in second place.

TheKaz

Jul 2, 2012
Uh,everything that Tolkien has written, Le Comte De Monte Cristo,The Three Musketeer's,The Walking Dead,The Night Angel Trilogy,Conan Saga,various webcomics.

:I

the darknees abyss

Mar 29, 2012
I'm currently read the lord of the rings i'm on the last book i don't really have Favorited book i just like reading all different things

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Hard to say. I'm currently in love again with Terry Pratchett - especially the Death 'series' - but no doubt my loyalty will flicker in a few weeks.

Damn, though, I forgot how strangely profound those books are at times.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Eh... It changes every time I think so I guess now somebody reminded me maybe the Bartimaeus books.
I have been reading too much fanfiction which has kinda killed my enjoyment of books lately. Its like the difference between a formal gourmet dinner and just snacking on all the foods I like throughout the day.

Now I think about it though, most recent favorite was Ender's Game. Great book.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Do graphic novels count?
If so, my pick is Transmetropolitan.
Basically, it's about a reporter who doesn't censor his articles and stories, and tells the public the harsh truth about the city in which they live. It's pretty brilliant at times, and the artwork is top notch.