Your Favorite Brain Teaser

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Hey everyone! Post your favorite brain teaser. Also check back and try to answer other people's.
Here's mine:
You are on a journey to the village of truth. You come to a fork in the road with a sign that says village of truth and village of lie but no arrows to designate which way leads to which village. A man stands at the side of the road. He says that you can ask one question of him and from that answer you can try to figure out which way to go. However, you don't know which village the man is from. What do you ask him to get you to the village of truth?

skystryke

The Tamiami Butcher
Jul 1, 2009
If I understand your question and the village he is from determines his answer, i.e. if he is from the village of truth he is always honest and vice versa, then you just ask him which path leads to his village and follow that one. I'll edit once I find mine.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
skystryke said:
If I understand your question and the village he is from determines his answer, i.e. if he is from the village of truth he is always honest and vice versa, then you just ask him whch path leads to his village and follow that one. I'll edit once I find mine.
Correct! I'm sorry, I have nothing for you.

skystryke

The Tamiami Butcher
Jul 1, 2009
Alright I found one but I'm pretty sure it will be fairly easy.

"There are three switches downstairs. Each corresponds to one of the three light bulbs in the attic. You can turn the switches on and off and leave them in any position.
How would you identify which switch corresponds to which light bulb, if you are only allowed one trip upstairs?"

ThePostalGamer

Nov 25, 2009
I have no answer for sky, but I have my own that I got in an e-mail and nobody that I know to this day have ever got it before they gave up and I told them.

"A man gives one of his sons 15 cents and his other son 10 cents. What time is it?"

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
ThePostalGamer said:
I have no answer for sky, but I have my own that I got in an e-mail and nobody that I know to this day have ever got it before they gave up and I told them.

"A man gives one of his sons 15 cents and his other son 10 cents. What time is it?"
Time for his sons to get a job? I have no clue XD

I kind of fail at these, but I have one:

A woman is reading in her house by the sea. She gets tired, turns off all the lights, and goes to bed. The next morning, she opens the paper to read "2000 killed in boat crash." She then immediately jumps out the window and kills herself. Why?

skystryke

The Tamiami Butcher
Jul 1, 2009
ThePostalGamer said:

If the answer is to give you the actual current time then the answers could get messed up by different time-zones. Otherwise I have no clue.

skystryke

The Tamiami Butcher
Jul 1, 2009
lilmisspotatoes said:
ThePostalGamer said:

A woman is reading in her house by the sea. She gets tired, turns off all the lights, and goes to bed. The next morning, she opens the paper to read "2000 killed in boat crash." She then immediately jumps out the window and kills herself. Why?
I assume that she lives in the Lighthouse and they were killed because she turned off the light?

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
skystryke said:
lilmisspotatoes said:

I assume that she lives in the Lighthouse and they were killed because she turned off the light?
Bing bing bing!! Way to go!

Here's a tougher one:

A girl's mother dies, and at the funeral, she meets a nice young man. A week goes by... then the girl stabs her sister to death. Why?

Before you freak out, this is a question I was posed when I was in high school. One answer means you have some dangerous tendencies.

skystryke

The Tamiami Butcher
Jul 1, 2009
lilmisspotatoes said:
Here's a tougher one:

A girl's mother dies, and at the funeral, she meets a nice young man. A week goes by... then the girl stabs her sister to death. Why?

Before you freak out, this is a question I was posed when I was in high school. One answer means you have some dangerous tendencies.
I have absolutely no clue on this one, what is the answer?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
lilmisspotatoes said:
skystryke said:
lilmisspotatoes said:

Here's a tougher one:

Because that ***** tried to steal her man!!

I'm sorry, I really don't know.

OT, I don't really have any except this extremely easy one:

What can you catch but not throw?

skystryke

The Tamiami Butcher
Jul 1, 2009
Julianking93 said:

Your breath.

"A Petri dish hosts a healthy colony of bacteria. Once a minute every bacterium divides into two. The colony was founded by a single cell at noon. At exactly 12:43 (43 minutes later) the Petri dish was half full.
At what time will the dish be full?"

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
skystryke said:
Julianking93 said:

Your breath.

"A Petri dish hosts a healthy colony of bacteria. Once a minute every bacterium divides into two. The colony was founded by a single cell at noon. At exactly 12:43 (43 minutes later) the Petri dish was half full.
one minute later

skystryke said:

"There are three switches downstairs. Each corresponds to one of the three light bulbs in the attic. You can turn the switches on and off and leave them in any position.
How would you identify which switch corresponds to which light bulb, if you are only allowed one trip upstairs?"
turn one on for a few minutes, and it will get warm. then turn off the same switch, turn on another and make your wake upstairs quick smart. simple logic shows which is which after touching them.

skystryke

The Tamiami Butcher
Jul 1, 2009
scrambledeggs said:
skystryke said:
Julianking93 said:

Your breath.

one minute earlier

skystryke said:

turn one on for a few minutes, and it will get warm. then turn off the same switch, turn on another and make your wake upstairs quick smart. simple logic shows which is which after touching them.
You got the light one but the bacteria is one minute later not earlier.

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
skystryke said:
scrambledeggs said:
skystryke said:
Julianking93 said:

Your breath.

one minute earlier

skystryke said:

You got the light one but the bacteria is one minute later not earlier.
:3 i edited as you posted that... i've heard the problem before, and usually it is worded so that the dish is full at a certain time.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
lilmisspotatoes said:
skystryke said:
lilmisspotatoes said:

Here's a tougher one:

Best answer I can come up with is the man held the will and she realized the sister had more royalties otherwise I am truly stumped.

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
PayJ567 said:
There is a car crash. The father is killed and the son is rushed to hospital. The boy is taken directly into surgery but the surgeon says "I can't operate on him, he is my son." How can this be?
Women can be surgeons too, ;).