Your Favorite Companions in Gaming

Mekanicum

Jan 13, 2014
I'm also going to go with Lydia. She might not be anywhere near as developed a character as Garrus or Elizabeth or, if we're being perfectly honest, the Companion Cube but I still got a big ol' soft spot for my first adventuring companion, plus she was a huge asset during my character's early levels. Easy on the eyes too.

Also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zRe_wvJw8

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Varric, Alistair and Anders (Awakening Anders, don't mention the sequel) from Dragon Age, all for roughly the same reason. Varric was probably my favourite of the lot for being the least whiny. But each was good for comic relief in their own way, so there we go.

Wrex from Mass Effect for being a walking action hero quote machine.

Yosuke from Persona 4. Lovable chap, really. The very end of his social link was a liiittle bit weird, but apart from that, yeah! I'd do him in a respectable way.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
-Good ol' Keldorn from Baldur's Gate 2 is a Lawful Good Badass of the highest caliber. A Paladin who not only manages to make for a great companion, but an interesting character as well. Plus he's deadly as hell too, give that guy Carsomyr and there's nary an evil that can stand in his way.

-Kreia in Kotor 2 for obvious reasons. She basically serves as a big middle-finger to the established Star Wars setting by pointing out all the gaping flaws and holes that a universe like that is bound to have. Not only that but she's the driving force behind the games plot and has lots of interesting interactions with everyone else in your crew.

-Kaelyn The Dove from Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Essentially a tragic figure her purpose is, in a way, to point out the folly of railing against something unchangeable even if it is cruel and unfair. A poignant example of a character trying her hardest to do the right thing and yet inevitably only bringing pain and suffering as a result. I always feel sorry for her, she's a very sympathetic figure and yet no matter what you do, there will be no happy ending for her.

Dumb_Joe

Feb 3, 2011
My favourite game companions are Lindon (the scoundrel from Diablo 3) and Tineves(a fairy from Zanzarah). I honestly can't choose between the two. Lindon is very amusing and his story is cool on the other hand Tineves just looks awesome.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Everyone says Garrus and I'm no different!

Other than that, I really like Fawkes (Fallout 3), he's an interesting character
Clem (Walking Dead) OBVIOUSLY
Anyone from Final Fantasy VI (but especially Locke/Edgar/Sabin)

I dunno, I like a lot of the companion characters in games

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
Okay, 100% serious here.

One of my favourites companion is indeed Navi from Ocarine of Time. I played the game just as it came out, and I never bought into the whole meme. Navi was just the cool thing to hate, and most people using it had never even touched the original game. I was a twelve years old playing a twelve years old going up against giant monsters with no combat experience whatsoever, and Navi was the only constant through the whole thing. Other allies came and went, but not Navi. She was always there, giving you hints, never leaving you alone, and telling you how to fight the new monsters that came before you. Realistically speaking, Link would have died in the deku three, without Navi.

For the amusement factor, Shale from Dragon Age: Origins comes to mind. That's how you do DLC well. Which makes what's happened to the franchise even sadder...

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
1. My suited Deathclaw companion from FO:NV. There's only one way to stay classy whilst kicking arses.

2. J'Zargo from Skyrim. He's J'Zargo that's why.
2. Serana from Skyrim.
4. Anders from Dragon Age: Awakening (not DA2 Anders).

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Garrus and Ashley in Mass Effect, I love having them in my party for both the combat and story benefits. Garrus especially because he reminds me of my friends in real life and his banter with Shepard strikes me as real because its so much like how many of my friends and I interact with each other.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
1) Mordin Solus from Mass Effect 2 & 3
2) Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite
3) Deekin from NWN: Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark
4) Serana from Skyrim
5) tie: Wrex and Garrus from ME Series
6) Minsc: Baldurs Gate 1 & 2
7) Tifa Lockhart: Final Fantasy VII
8: The incomparable, invincible, and utterly insane: Shadowmere (Skyrim version)

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
The Madman said:
-Good ol' Keldorn from Baldur's Gate 2 is a Lawful Good Badass of the highest caliber. A Paladin who not only manages to make for a great companion, but an interesting character as well. Plus he's deadly as hell too, give that guy Carsomyr and there's nary an evil that can stand in his way.

-Kreia in Kotor 2 for obvious reasons. She basically serves as a big middle-finger to the established Star Wars setting by pointing out all the gaping flaws and holes that a universe like that is bound to have. Not only that but she's the driving force behind the games plot and has lots of interesting interactions with everyone else in your crew.

-Kaelyn The Dove from Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Essentially a tragic figure her purpose is, in a way, to point out the folly of railing against something unchangeable even if it is cruel and unfair. A poignant example of a character trying her hardest to do the right thing and yet inevitably only bringing pain and suffering as a result. I always feel sorry for her, she's a very sympathetic figure and yet no matter what you do, there will be no happy ending for her.
Great choices, particularly Keldorn and Kaelyn. Keldorn's coda in Baldur's Gate 2 was one of the first things to ever make me tear up during a game.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Wrex / Liara / Garrus from Mass Effect
Kreia from KOTOR2 --> probably my favourite all around due to your complex relationship with her
Morrigan & Alistair from Dragon Age (fireworks when you bring them together :D)
Alyx from Half-Life
Clementine from the Walking Dead
Minsc and Buu from Baldur's Gate

Can't recall too many others in fact, except from other companions in their respective series. Usually companions are more of a bother than anything else imo.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
Issun from Okami was quite cute.

...and Yoshi​

And that robot from Borderlands, despite the annoying voice.

Come to think of it, my favourite companion is GLaDOS. She accompanies you for virtually all of the game.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Wrex my favorite bar none in ME.

cas in fallout new vegas.

snow in the wolf among us. i was really sad when they found her severed head.....

toad and his boy in that game strike a cord with me something fierce also.

ff7 aris. :p

morrigan and anyone in dragon age was entertaining, love morrigan or hate her, she got the best lines out of people.

elizabeth in da2 and the dwarf friend i forget his name. go me.

any of my rare horses in red dead redemption loosing one was hard :p.

chie from persona 4.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
No mention of Midna? Well she was my favorite Zelda companion anyway.

Whyyyy Midna? I still like to think Link is going in search of some way back to the Twili realm when he rides off from his house at the end.

Him going to a different dimension might explain why when he was reincarnated later he was split into 4 parts anyway. Though I think the first of the 4 Swords games takes place earlier in the timeline so who knows.

If you get into actual RPGs the choice is much harder.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
It's tempting to just spout a massive list of Mass Effect characters, but I shall limit myself.

Garrus. Love that man. He's popular in this thread, so I'll just add that, while I was unsure at first, I actually loved turning my FemShep's bromance with him into a full-blown romance. Their relationship just seemed to work so well, it was really heartwarming XD

Also got to give a shout out to my man Wrex.

I really like Wynne in DA:O as well, because it's so unusual to see an older female character in that sort of role.

Oh, and Oghren. Damn that drunken, lecherous dwarf. I didn't realise how much I liked him until I literally squealed when I met him again in Awakenings.

Alrom

Jan 7, 2013
I really liked the felyne comrades in monster hunter.

They can attack a little, heal you, use traps, bombs, help you when you get stunned or asleep and most of the time they can take a fireball to the face insteed of you.

And you can customize their weapons, armors and skills.

[https://imageshack.com/i/jxfelyne1j]