Your Favorite Enemy Types In Games?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Be they Goombas, Fat Mooks, Giant Mooks, Boss in Mook Clothing, or Mini Boss. There are enemies in games that are fun to fight, look cool from a design or presentation, or just add so much to roster of things you get to fight.

Here are some of my favorites:

Dreamrunners:

Crystal Viper:

Y. Signal:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I like any monster than is really flashy to kill. Either because it has a cool death animation or because there is an easy way to obliterate it in a cool way.

For example a lot of the bosses or bigger mobs in GoW where you just beat the eyeballs out of the fucking thing.

Or enemies in Souls games that are so easy to parry, that you almost feel embarrassed for them.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I like fighting spider bosses, like the one from the original DMC or the other from Demon’s Souls. They are intimidating but breaking through their defenses and having the eyes for a weak point are so satisfying to attack.

Mass quantities of horde-like enemies that are easy to kill but make satisfying damage feedback. Like these things minus the slowdown.

Any enemy where you can stun them by repelling a projectile back at them and wail away for massive damage. The new GoW kinda had this with the stone golem things where they threw orbs out that you can grab and throw back at them into their gullet to stun them and then run in for a brutal pummeling.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I like any monster than is really flashy to kill. Either because it has a cool death animation or because there is an easy way to obliterate it in a cool way.

For example a lot of the bosses or bigger mobs in GoW where you just beat the eyeballs out of the fucking thing.

Or enemies in Souls games that are so easy to parry, that you almost feel embarrassed for them.
This reminds me of one boss in I think A Link to the Past where it was literally a ton of eyeballs or something to obliterate. So fucking fun lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Any enemy where you can stun them by repelling a projectile back at them and wail away for massive damage.
Devil May Cry has this in nearly every game where you can parry an attack or knock projectile attacks right by back at a lesser demon or boss.

The new GoW kinda had this with the stone golem things where they threw orbs out that you can grab and throw back at them into their gullet to stun them and then run in for a brutal pummeling.
Any enemy that truly tests your parry, dodging skills, or both are big plus's in my book.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The two low paid solders just shooting the shit having no Idea I'm in the bushes behind them gleefully preparing C4.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I love the "rival character" type enemy or boss. Enemies that have the same or similar abilities as the player so that you have to really use your full arsenal to take them down. The only caveat to this being that it's only fun if the enemies also have the same or similar limitations as the player.

Virgil in DMC 3 and 5 is a fantastic example and is tons of fun, or Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne. The Elites in Halo are the best enemy the games ever had because they basically have all the same abilities as Master Chief and the AI is smart enough to take advantage of them.

On the other hand the hunters in Bloodborne really don't work because while they have the same abilities as the player they never run out of health vials or bullets making them a huge pain. There is nothing less fun than fighting the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Virgil Vergil in DMC 3 and 5 is a fantastic example and is tons of fun, or Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne. The Elites in Halo are the best enemy the games ever had because they basically have all the same abilities as Master Chief and the AI is smart enough to take advantage of them.
DMC3&5_Vergil are the best bosses in any game ever. Especially in the genre of Stylish Action game, bar none. The only characters that come close are Azel and Jet Stream Sam.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really like enemies that are tough enough for you to have to box them a bit. The ogre in Quake is a really good example, especially if you are just using the double barrel shotgun. Other examples are the shadow panthers from Devil May Cry, and the tyrants in Doom Eternal.

Last edited:

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

Funny to shoot at, yet if you underestimate them you'll be stuck by a plasma grenade when you least expect it.

As far as FPSes go, Halo ranks pretty high in providing enemy variety with distinct behaviour. Probably losing out only to games like Doom, though they are very different experiences.

Most shooters you're just shooting other dudes with guns.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I love the "rival character" type enemy or boss. Enemies that have the same or similar abilities as the player so that you have to really use your full arsenal to take them down. The only caveat to this being that it's only fun if the enemies also have the same or similar limitations as the player.

Virgil in DMC 3 and 5 is a fantastic example and is tons of fun, or Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne. The Elites in Halo are the best enemy the games ever had because they basically have all the same abilities as Master Chief and the AI is smart enough to take advantage of them.

On the other hand the hunters in Bloodborne really don't work because while they have the same abilities as the player they never run out of health vials or bullets making them a huge pain. There is nothing less fun than fighting the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst.
I recall a few of them having a fixed number of flask charges, but not sure which games as it’s kind of all a blur. Most recently though is Mad Tongue Alberich, whom I might still be attempting if he didn’t only have one pull. I smile whenever an invader tries taking another swig only to see the “empty” animation.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I like enemies like Legion from the Castlevania series or Cerberus from DMC3 that have some kind of breakable armor or shell that you have to get rid of before you can actually hurt them. It's really satisfying to see appreciable damage being done but it also means if they can regen their armor that you can't just bum rush them down trying to kill them before they kill you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I like enemies like Legion from the Castlevania series or Cerberus from DMC3 that have some kind of breakable armor or shell that you have to get rid of before you can actually hurt them. It's really satisfying to see appreciable damage being done but it also means if they can regen their armor that you can't just bum rush them down trying to kill them before they kill you.
With Cerberus, there's a corner exploit you can do. Corner in the left coming from the player's side. I do like service, but he's annoying to fight on Dante Must Die Mode. Even with the exploit. The fight with King Cerberus is so much better, though it loses the armor aspect.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Either the ones that are kinda like a mirror of the player character so you get to have an even battle where the skill decides the victor as opposed to stats or strategy, or the overly outsized and unique fight where you have to adapt to the enemy and can't apply strategy that works on other enemies.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Whenever you can turn an enemy's strength against them. Like
- Horizon, you can shoot off a robot dinosaur's projectile gun then pick it up and use it against them
- Witcher 1: a game we were kind of shitting on in another thread but if you drink the Black Blood potion in that game, vampire enemies actually get really hurt if they drink your blood (that potion exists in Witcher 3 but it is no where near as effective and dramatic)