Your Favorite Enemy Types In Games?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I think my favorite enemy types are the ones that are summed up by Home Simpson's instincts here:

An unassuming looking person or thing physically, but that is what is terrifying. The example that frequently comes to mind is Lady Butterfly from Sekiro. Most players by the time they get to her have dealt with all sorts of samurai and armored generals, a literal ogre, and a huge poison spewing giant man surrounded my a small army. And it's still early enough where maybe you're not yet confident in your combat skills.
And here steps this little old lady who wants to "teach you a lesson" lol.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Berserkers from Gears of War. Uniquely terrifying enemies that made for some really intense encounters. They're mostly a gimmick mini-boss you can figure out fairly easily, but I don't think anyone forgets the first time they met one even 17 years later.

1690982276304.png

Reactions: Hawki

bunniesandrainbows

Jul 24, 2023
Cool World
Country
USA
I think my favorite enemy types are the ones that are summed up by Home Simpson's instincts here:

An unassuming looking person or thing physically, but that is what is terrifying. The example that frequently comes to mind is Lady Butterfly from Sekiro. Most players by the time they get to her have dealt with all sorts of samurai and armored generals, a literal ogre, and a huge poison spewing giant man surrounded my a small army. And it's still early enough where maybe you're not yet confident in your combat skills.
And here steps this little old lady who wants to "teach you a lesson" lol.
Ha, great video! Your description of that kind of enemy makes me think of Cuccos from Legend of Zelda. They'll jump ya! D:>

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Twitchers in Dead Space Remake are even more terrifying than the originals. They literally charge at you in and out existence with this cool glitch effect.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Always loved videogames enemies with names and personalities, at a time where most of them were indistinct canon fodder. Games like Carmageddon let you build rage and rivalry with specific opponents. "Oh that guy, again, okay you'll see this time". Even games like Technocop had you go after bosses that were presented by a "wanted" poster. I never played Hoverforce (aka Resolution 101) but I wanted to just because it had a screen in your cockpit dedicated to the face and reactions of your opponent. It makes them more real, more like imaginary interlocutors.

I suppose the Pac Man ghosts would qualify, but I wasn't really a Pac Man person. A primitive form of it would be the sprite that appear from the same place on the same screen of a shooter/brawler, even if it looks like all the others. You can build some specific resentment or familiarity with it, but it's fleeting (you can feel the same for your pencils). The Civilization games do it well, with your opponents, you can get passed at them, get back at them, or be forgiving to them. Some open world games that generate names for NPCs can give you that feeling at time, even if these NPCs are usually short-lived. And of course, the nemesis system (the Shadows of War one, not the scripted RE character) is brilliantly built up around these sensations.

But I still consider Carmageddon the best example.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chainsaw Bull and Jubei are the best bosses in this game! Both videos are time stamped in order.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Anything with a cool death animation. I loved fighting the trolls in GoW 2018 just for the finisher where Kratos uses their weapons against them. Actually that happens a lot in GoW in general. One of the PS2/PS3 ones had you reeling enemies into their own spears.

Generally any enemy I can disarm and/or kill with their own weapon. I like the closed-circuit feel in something like Mirror's Edge or Superhot.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It really depends on the type of game. If it's an action game, I like the sort of enemy that plays by the same rules you do more or less. Think the mad hunters from Bloodborne. It always feels the most fun when you grasp the mechanics behind what the enemy does to a high level and just compete on mastery from then on.

If it's turn based rpgs, I like those bosses that is one being but has multiple targettable elements. Legend of Dragoon has a lot of those, and figuring out what body part to take out first in each fight (it's not always the head, since some things don't even have heads! XD) is great at keeping new encounters fresh.

In shooters, I like big epic bullet sponges that get damaged over the course of a fight more so than the hyper realistic style of shooting something on the head once and being done with it. The newer Doom games were really good about that, since you had to hit things in their weakspots first to disable them some and then get to finishing em off.