Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Tanis said:
DS9:
I can't recall the episode's name, but it's during the WAR.
In the Pale Moonlight?

oRevanchisto

Mar 23, 2012
Tanis said:
DS9:
I can't recall the episode's name, but it's during the WAR.

Sisko pretty much admits to ordering the MURDERING of a diplomat to force a neutral nation into the war on the Federation's side.

It's one of those really dark 'holy shit, he's...changed' moments.
That's, "In the Pale Moonlight." Which is taken from a movie quote, "have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" Also, my favorite episode in all of Trek.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
I don't remember the title of this episode in South Park but it was good.

PC Principal (Did anyone else wanted him to die?)was on the rampage because the school newspaper wrote an article with the word "Retarded" or something like that and he was threatening to kill the editor.

The he finds out who the editor was and a slow look of horror appeared on his face when he found out who the editor was:

Jimmy.

And to our amusement PC Principal tried to dance around the subject but Jimmy outsmarted him.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Moral of a story: Never piss off a sniper who is trying to make a first impression.

Right GI Joe?

Oh, that's right... they Fumbled.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Silvanus said:
Cowboy Bebop: Jupiter Jazz (Pts 1 & 2)
Yeah, that mini-arc was great. It was a genuinely emotional story, and I loved the framing device of the 2 people living on the moon, watching a "shooting star" coming down. And that song....oh fuck me that song at the end. So amazing. The thing that I loved most about that episode was:

The elder "native" guy, describing what the shooting star was to the young child. At first you think it's just some "mystic mumbo jumbo", but then, when you realize it's a ship, and that elderly man was likely on that moon during the war, he KNOWS it's a soldier, who was broken by the conflict, and came back to die in a way that would bring them closure. It's probably not the first time it happened either. Given the prevalence of PTSD in combat vets, they likely happened a few times every year. And so, he tells the boy a story, but one that is true in it's own way. That it was a lost soul finding it's way home. Which, in a way is true, but sounds better than "It's a tortured veteran, committing suicide by having his starship break up in orbit." Just, so well done. And that music, fuck that music was great. I play that song in my background all the time, just for some chill jazz-like sounds.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Since, I just bought a rare Vamp Willow action figure for really cheap. I am going to say Dopplegangland from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I personally rate The Body as the "Best TV Episode Ever". However, that episode is depressing as hell. So, Dopplegangland is Buffy at it's best. Everything clicks with that episode. Also, bonus points for the pivotal foreshadowing line: "I think I'm kinda gay!"

brucethemoose

Jul 13, 2017
Star Trek TNG: The Inner Light. That flute... so many tears.

Fringe: White Tulip

Someone already mentioned Venom of the Red Lotus. It's just a bloody great example of the breaking the hero trope, IMHO. I'll also add The Desert.

Justice League: Question Authority. Also SOMETHING from Young Justice season 2, I'll get back to you on that.

Archer: Vision Quest, of course.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
This was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Homicide: Life on the Streets - Have a Conscience

Reed Diamond and Clark Johnson really shined in this episodes as friends and partners. It was also gutsy of the writers to dedicate almost half the episode to just the two characters talking in a single location, one trying to talk the other down from a suicide attempt. It's the kind of episode that leaves you emotionally drained at the end even though nothing bad happens. Season 5 was definitely one of the strongest of the series.

Twin Peaks: The Return - Part 8

I have a feeling this episode is going to end up on a lot of "best of" lists for 2017, and for good reason. It is utterly unique in the TV landscape and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that it was actually aired. Bold, creative, and completely unforgettable, in a series where that is the rule rather than the exception.

Community - Mixology Certification

I had to struggle between this episode and Modern Warfare. The latter is more fun to watch and was the one that really elevated the show from an above average network TV sitcom to a modern day cult classic in my eyes, however Mixology Certification was the first episode that really delivered an emotional gut punch and leaves you feeling bittersweet. That's a very ballsy move for a show known for being quirky fun, and really showcases the talent of the writers and the actors for being able to pull it off.

Red Dwarf - Marooned

Another show where I struggled between various episodes. Series 1 and 2 were so unique for what they were, and while I do find them enjoyable, I did like the show a lot more when each episode wasn't just a bottle episode. Which is why I find it so ironic that out of the newer (i.e. post series 2 when the show actually had what could be considered a budget), my favorite episode is a bottle episode. This one seems to have a good blend of humor and drama as you really can feel the sense of urgency and hopelessness in Lister. It's also the episode where Rimmer gets a slight moral high ground to Lister after what Lister did to Rimmer's fancy wooden locker box.

Gravity Falls - Soos and the Real Girl

Awkward nerds trying to flirt is my favorite sub category of the romantic comedy drama, and when you have a writing team as good as the one for Gravity Falls you get pure gold in cringe inducing hilarity. It was also a good way of fleshing out Soos' backstory about being a man child trying to grow into adulthood. There were also a lot of great visual gags in the mall.