Your favorite excel-sheet masquerading as a video-game? Paradox thread

Weasel Biggs

Sep 7, 2020
Country
Canada
If your main criteria for determining what qualifies an "Excel Spreadsheet" game is its focus on pure optimization, then I guess Dwarf Fortress is the only obvious answer, with other lo-fi offerings like Prison Architect or Rimworld coming in close second.

Personally, though, I've been revisiting Crusader Kings and just started CKIII. It's a great game, I just wish they'd found a way to not relegate the main map to a narrow slit down the screen's middle, once a few windows and panels have popped up.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Started Paradox games with EU 3.

Have played and like most EU 4.

I do like CK 2 and Stellaris as well, having hundreds of hours in each.

Never could get into HoI and i tried a couple of times. Also tried Rome but while far more accessable, it is rather boring.

I will likely buy and play CK 3. But not yet.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Absolutely. Cover the map in imperial purple.

Restoring the Roman Empire is the best and most fun thing that EU is useful for, too. A very difficult and intense 5-10 years to recover Greece, then a tough 20 or so for Anatolia, after that you're fine, and should be able to expand more gently whilst massaging out the inflationary and reputation aches from such rapid expansion, with Rome doable by 1500.
Ah, a fellow byzantophile. I'm still proud of my ERE restoration game by 1570.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Ah, a fellow byzantophile. I'm still proud of my ERE restoration game by 1570.
Last time I played EU3, I ended up with pretty much the entire territory of the ERE as of ~400AD, plus Italy and a few odds and ends like Crimea, and by pure fluke France (marriage rather than conquest, and minus the east and northeast, still controlled by Burgundy). Reunified the church (Orthodox, naturally) and a colonised pretty much the whole of eastern Africa from Egypt to South Africa, plus a few odds and ends around the Indian Ocean and across to Australia and NZ. The kingdom of Bohemia was rampant over central-eastern Europe and my main antagonist. England conquered Scotland and Ireland but then collapsed into perpetual religious strife and civil war. India was re-unified as a Hindu kingdom by Vijayanagar. Spain was just there. Pretty much everything else was a bunch of squabbling small-medium states or too far off for me to care.

Roma eterna!