Your favorite fictional religions in literature/games/media

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
All hail to the Great Green Arkleseizure!
All ye unfaithful, beware the coming of the Great White Handkerchief!

MixmasterInTheSky

Aug 24, 2012
Discworld has some great religions and gods. My personal favourite is Anoia, Godess of Things That Get Stuck in Drawers (How can it close on the damned thing but not open with it? Who bought this? Do we ever use it?). I also like the religion of Simoun and the Cult of Forgotten Shadow from Warcraft is pretty cool.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I really like the Gods of the Elder scrolls universe if not just because the whole situation is completely messed up and crazy. No I don't just mean the nine divines and Daedric lords, I mean ALL OF THE GODS!!!!!

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
I like the Athar from the "Planescape" RPG setting.
Basically, they're Atheists with a twist - while nobody in their world can deny the existence of gods, the Athar believe that there is nothing about them that makes them inherently worthy of worship. A god is just a very powerful magical being that lends some of its power to its priests to perform divine magic; still, their actions are guided by basic emotions (and many gods seem particularly petty or simple-minded), and they can be easily killed by other super-powered beings, or rendered powerless once people stop worshipping them.
Their at first unlikely allies are the so-called "Godsmen" - a group whose followers attempt to live their lives so as to attain godhood for themselves. The idea that mortals can and do sometimes rise to become gods means that there is no special quality these beings that differentiates them from mortals to a degree that makes you automatically want to fall to your knees and worship them.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Xpwn3ntial said:
In before "For teh Emprah."

I'm rather fond of the Pokemon religion. There's an entire pantheon with a detailed lore and yet I've only ever seen one temple in my time playing the games.

I've often wondered how much of the religion is common knowledge and how much is pure legend, since basically all of it's true in-universe.

Ironman126 said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
I don't understand. Do you take issue with my devotion to the God-Emperor?
Since the Greater Good is at odds with it, yes.

In all seriousness, I put that there because it is so woefully easy to predict.
HERESY, FOR THE EMPRAH!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
theheroofaction said:
Whatever it is the religion of the god-emporor is called.
Starke said:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a name.
It's called the Imperial Creed.
Pah, call yourselves devotees, can't even name the glorious religion on the God-Emperor.
Not to be confused with the Imperial Truth, which is what was being spread during the Great Crusade, and which helped cause the rise of the Imperial Creed.
After all, who else could kill gods, but a god itself?

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
Imthatguy said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Imthatguy said:
~Video~

~Video~

Kane... the bestest quasifacist immortal alien messiah ever!
Seconded, he literally rose again!
TWICE! He also bring up the point of who is really the good guys a coaliton of first world militaries that left 80% of huimanity to die from Tiberium poisoning or the militant church that holds sway over public opinion with crafty propaganda?
Nobody is perfect xD but I love the first scene you ever see him in.

~Video~
Yeeeessss...
Kane's opening speech in the C&C 3 expansion is one of my favourite monologues ever.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
OP: Finally someone else who likes Franklyn! That film does not get the attention it deserves.

Hmm, fictional religions. I generally enjoy whenever the Religion of Crime show up in DC stuff. They are a silly bunch.
The Ori in Stargate were pretty cool too.
This is really bugging me there, I know there are others. Just can't think of them.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Death to the False Emperor! Loyalist scum, the only true gods in the universe are the gods of CHAOS.

One Shot wonder

Jul 26, 2011
Xpwn3ntial said:

In fealty to the God-Emperor (our undying Lord) and by the Grace of the Golden Throne, I declare Exterminatus upon the Imperial Website of 'the Escapist Forums'.
I hereby sign the death warrant of an entire subdomain and consign a dozen souls to error 404.
May Imperial Justice account in all balance.
The Emperor Protects.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
The Faith of the Seven from the Song of Ice and Fire series is probably the one I like the most, mainly because it resembles my own religious beliefs. Be a nice person whenever you can, defend the innocent, seeking forgiveness for sins, and all that fun stuff. Plus they're probably the only religion in that universe that doesn't have an implicit evil element to it, what with the worshipers of the Lord of Light using black magic and the Drowned Men... drowning people.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Signa said:
The Hammerites in Thief are pretty sweet. I love the way they talk.
Agreed, and by extension, the Mechanists. Thief does a great job of establishing religions - they feel very authentic and organic the story. I think a lot of that is through the way prayers and scripture are woven into the story; as little quotations before missions, or casual utterances by the towns people.

. . . sleepy . . .

Jun 12, 2011
i'm partial to Bokononism from Cat's Cradle, and the Church of God the Utterly Indifferent from Sirens of Titan. Rest in peace, Kurt Vonnegut, you glorious sonuva-.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Nap_Time said:
Im going to have to say that the "religion" from the movie Equilibrium has got to my favourite. The movie portrays a society in which emotions are suppressed and everyone is working for the "greater good".
I second this. My first thought when I saw "fictional religion" was the Tetragrammaton in Equilibrium. Surprised this got first page, I always thought it was quite an obscure movie. xD

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
The snot-worshiping Jatravartids from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I love that they feared The Coming of the Great White Handkerchief.

Jatravartids are small blue creatures of the planet Viltvodle VI with more than fifty arms each. They are therefore unique in being the only race in history to have invented aerosol deodorant before the wheel (though their wheels are the wrong shape; a bike with literally square wheels can be seen).
Many races believe that the Universe was created by some sort of god or in the Big Bang. The Jatravartid people, however, believe that the Universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure. They live in perpetual fear of the time they call "The Coming of the Great White Handkerchief" (their version of the End of the Universe). The theory of the Great Green Arkleseizure is not widely accepted outside Viltvodle VI.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
I've always quite liked the pantheon on Dunmanifestin from the Discworld books. And my favourite of those has to be Anoia, the Goddess of Things Getting Stuck in Drawers. The name and the area covered are just, well...well look at that.