Your favorite game no-one ever heard about.

L3377MA573R

Mar 4, 2010
I grew up with a Dreamcast, so not much to remember there, but Area 51 for the original Xbox is still by far one of my favorite shooters of all time. I know one person who's ever heard of it.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Shadow of Destiny for the PS2 should be one. It got re-released on psp a few months ago but I still don't think people will know what it is.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
ciortas1 said:
PurpleSky said:
ciortas1 said:
Considering no-one mainstream ever heard of Warcraft 3, I'll go with that.
That's not true at all.

On Topic,I can't think of one right now.
It is true, just because this site knows it and the Blizzard fanboys do, doesn't mean anybody else does. Everyone is familiar with WoW, but the majority of players in WoW itself hasn't even heard about WC3, and I'm not joking.
Oh, my god, you're right!

Zajber

Apr 2, 2010
Let's see... Since I'm a retro-nerd I'm gonna go with, not games that are completely unknown but gets way too little cred,

Megaman (the first one)
and
Zelda II - Adventures of Link

Both of them are games that I feel more people should've played, but almost no one have.. All the critics just say that they are hard, not anything about how fun they actually are.

Great games for the NES and for the hardcore gamer ;)

Oh, and a great game that i belive no one ever heard of, Fatal Labyrinth for the Genesis. Also a hard-as-hell-game, an old-time hack'n'slasher with RPG-elements ;)

rythter

Jul 20, 2009
Gerrawn said:
Hype: The Time Quest. I swear I'm the only one on the planet that's played it.
omffg i have that game, but never got around to playing it!!! playmobil right?
also, the world ends with you

MentatTir

Aug 4, 2010
Wizard's Crown. The game came out in 1985 so some imagination is required, but there has never been a game that has so perfectly combined fantasy role playing with hardcore strategy.

FreedanZero

Jul 3, 2008
Faxanadu for the NES. Truly epic game in the vein of Zelda II: The adventure of Link:

Also Disaster Report for PS2:

James Rednok

Apr 16, 2009
Otto Matic!!!! Woooooooo! It was a game I used to play YEARS ago. I loved the 50's B-Movie vibe; and the music, OH DEAR GOD YES!!! THE MUSIC!!! It was actually re-released as an I-App not too long ago. I would definitely recommend getting it or at least trying the free demo version.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
Miracle Warriors on the Sega Master System is to this day an awesome RPG. I play through it every couple years still

The Gold box SSI RPGs on the C64 are still awesome

Mikey^

Aug 4, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
I have yet to meet another who has heard of my favorite RTS mod: Command and Conquer Generals: Shockwave.
I have heard of it but tbh I preferred the Rise of the Red's mod! Was a shame one of the leaders of the mod sadly passed away so dev has slowed up considerably.

Games I like that no-one has heard of... Well from reading this it seems impossible no-one has heard of anything ;) Let's go for some that are not so mainstream (now I guess, they could have been at the time!).

- The Dizzy Series, most people have heard of Treasure Island but not all of the others, most were pretty damn good I recall on my ST.

- Batman on the Amstrad CPC6128 - First puzzle type game I played with graphics this good!

- Mega Lo Mania - A wonderful god game I seem to remember losing many hours to but alas my old brain can't remember too many specifics :(

- Motocross Madness 2 - Used to have many good LANs playing this beauty! Amazing graphics and wonderful multiplayer modes, too few good motorbike only games out there this fun!

I am sure there are loads more... Can we mention MUDs? Godwars anyone? :eek:

Monsteval

Jul 16, 2009
Geist on the GC. It's a FPS where you can possess people and objects. Even if some critics don't like this game, I think it's awesome

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
ciortas1 said:
PurpleSky said:
ciortas1 said:
Considering no-one mainstream ever heard of Warcraft 3, I'll go with that.
That's not true at all.

On Topic,I can't think of one right now.
It is true, just because this site knows it and the Blizzard fanboys do, doesn't mean anybody else does. Everyone is familiar with WoW, but the majority of players in WoW itself hasn't even heard about WC3, and I'm not joking.
Warcraft 3? They're making a THIRD World of Warcraft game??? I wasn't even aware they had a second!

In all seriousness, though, does anyone remember the online multiplayer game Wormhole? That game kicked ass.

Mikey^

Aug 4, 2010
Ooooh oooooh Freelancer... Amazing playing on a LAN just spending hours and hours doing diamond runs, wow I wish Jumpgate Evolution would ever come out :/

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
Definitely Evil Islands (Proklyatye Zemli - "Cursed lands" in Russian) - it was (and still is) a great game, with fun and innovative stealth-based action-rpg mechanics, rich item crafting system, cool music and excellent graphics for the time (it still looks good, thanks to the overall art direction). And the world is very varied, as hero travels across 3 entirely different big location throughout the game.

Crafting system is one special thing about it. Like, you can take Heavy Infanftry Cuirass draft, 8 parts of Steel, then take Empower spell base, add a couple of prolongation runes to it (so spell lasts longer) and use special rune to integrate this spell into the armour. And then assemble it.
Each rune adds up to the overall spell complexity plus spell base has its own complexity. Each particular item (piece of armour or weapon) allows integration of spell up to the certain complexity, depending on the draft and used materials (more expensive ones increase complexity cap). Expensive and rare materials also increase damage resistance (for armour) and damage dealt (for weapons), as well as the cost of assembly (and, in longer perspective, repair, as items deteriorate with use).
There are runes, affecting spell duration, strength, distance, another set allow integration to items (one rune activates spell when thei tem is used (or hit by enemy in case it's a piece of an armour), the other activates all the time as long as there's enough energy left), another set specifies targets for area spells (be that some firewall or group healing), so you can automatically target friendlies, enemies or even particular species.
There are tons of drafts and materials across 3 game islands, and it's a great fun to combine them.

Gameplay is also very interesting and unusual (I can't name any game quite similar to Evil Islands) - on Normal difficulty you basically have to crawl your entire game, except at the end of each island (chapter), when you get the best equipment and just begin to feel yourself strong enough, but this isn't for long, as next island turns you into some bum in rags (compared to its inhabitants). So it's prone position most of the time (to avoid enemies or backstab them when needed). You can also crouch (still harder to get noticed compared to walking or running, but faster than crawling), walk and run.
Anyway, it's mostly stealth for warriors (they say mages are more powerful, but I've never mastered magic enough to try it out), and good at that.

Here's a screenshot from main menu (in-game perspective is isometric with flexible camera, mind you, but visuals are waht you get at maximum zoom):
[http://radikal.ru/F/i073.radikal.ru/1008/9e/7fa62e0d536e.jpg.html]
And here's some music from the game (each island ha its own set of music), this one is for cave:

Mycologist

Aug 4, 2010
The Neverhood anyone? Best indie game I've ever played. Yeah it's probably not everyone's cup of tea but it surely wins the best game to be constructed entirely from clay award!