your favorite game that got destroyed by crappy sequels?

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Call of Duty, probably. 1 & 2 were probably the most fun I've ever had in a game. 4 was "ok" (loved the single player, hated the multiplayer) and after that looked samey and I stopped buying them.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Eighth 1 said:
Svenparty said:
Eighth 1 said:
Bioshock. Seriously, after the abomination that was Bioshock 2, i can't even look at the first one without sighing.
The gameplay was improved but the plot was truly awful. I felt they should have focused on more supernatural elements like the ghosts and the little sister fantasies instead of just bland level after bland level bar the Ryan Theme Park.

Fable 1 and TLC seemed really good and after that Fable 2 and 3 ruined it. The worst part was Fable 3 was decent until the ending
Well they could've easily focused more on anything else if they weren't trying to shoehorn in the god awful multiplayer. I completely forgot about poor Fable, then again it's pretty easy when the last two have been ass baskets. And that's slated to become three when "The Journey" comes out...
Yeah a British game with humour+Bad Gameplay Elements+Molyneux Promises= FRUSTRATION! I WANT TO LIKE YOU BUT YOU SUCK!

I agree although that isn't an excuse since a different team built the Multiplayer.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Mouse_Crouse said:
3 Pages and no Mercenaries... that I could find anyway. I don't find the 2nd as terrible as many do. But it dosen't hold up to the first at all.
Mercenaries 2 broke my heart, the original was one my favourites on the ps2. Damn you EA. Why did you have to buy Pandemic?

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Mercenaries 2 broke my heart, the original was one my favourites on the ps2. Damn you EA. Why did you have to buy Pandemic?
I had thought that EA bought Pandemic, after Mercenaries 2 was released, but I could be wrong. But either way, it was the design choices and quality control that caused most peoples issues.

Having said all that, I did still enjoy Mercenaries 2. To date it is the only game I have 1000/1000 for achievements.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Silent_Protagonist said:
My favourite game is Final Fantasy 6. Whenever I say I'm a fan of Final Fantasy, people always mention the games 11 and up and parade around about how lousy the series is. When I mention the games 9 and prior, they look at me with the stupidest expression. I hate the newer Final Fantasies. -.-
And I agree with you here, partially. I do enjoy the new Final Fantasies save for anything Crystal Chronicles, but the older ones are still so good. *Wishing I could find a new job so I could afford to buy Final Fantasy VII and IX from PS Store* I've also always wanted to play the older Final Fantasy games, but I don't really wanna get myself an emulator to do it. :{

Personally I'm gonna have to go with either Dragon Age: Origins, or Dead Space. They were both such AMAZING games. But their sequels......not so much. I didn't like Dead Space 2, I felt like I was forcing myself to play it, and if I have to force myself, I'm not having fun. As for Dragon Age 2, it's not that it was so much as a bad game, because I thoroughly enjoyed it, but...it's not a sequel. The only things that tie the two games together are the save file imports which so next to nothing at all except change a little bit of backstory, the fact that they're in the same universe, and Hawke could *possibly* be related to the Human Mage Warden in some way. Oh, and Anders is there, but that's about it. I see almost nothing from Origins in there, and to be brutally honest I don't think DA2 deserves to be called the sequel to Origins.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Crash Bandicoot: Crash of the Titans or Mind over Mutant or whatever the first one was called.
I completed it in a single day, dragged it towards the monsters and away from Crash and the plot was barely even there.

It just didn't feel like a Crash game and was so bad in my opinion I wish I could unplay it.

Xanrae

Jan 26, 2008
Starcraft 2. Recycled gameplay made by a big budget studio too scared to do anything new, and they ruined the custom maps experience in an attempt to consolize it. Popularity sort is rotten, but totally understandable coming from a company that is at the top of the RL "popularity sort".

For now at least. I can see Diablo 3 crashing and burning for the same reason.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Fable hands down. The first one remains one of my favourite games ever. Even though I do like 2 and 3, compared with the first one, they're crap.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Mackheath said:
Aww. *puts away The Castrating Disemboweler*

The Rayman series. Hands dow.
Correct.

I admittedly haven't ever played the original Rayman, but Rayman 2 was easily the best game I had ever played for a really big chunk of my life. Rayman 3 was pretty good as well.

Then the Rabbids came.

WHY!?
I wouldn't call those sequels, just games with Rayman in :( It's like thinking of the Mario Party games as sequels.

Rayman 3 was amazing though, that game doesn't get enough love. And hell if I see 1 "rabbid" thing in Rayman Origins they've lost my purchase.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Devil May Cry, New Dante's hair ruined the entire series!

/sarcastic sniping mode

Seriously though, I'd have to say Halo is definitely suffering from severe rigor mortis right now and the only ones still humping it are the compulsive necrophilliacs. It's over, it's done! 3 was the end of it. Then we had ODST. Then Reach. Then Halo Wars. Now we've got a HD remake of the 1st one... and a 4th one with two more inevitably following.

Yeah, this franchise is done and any uniqueness or fun it might have had has been long since buried under the waves of generic space marine shooters that it inspired. Ironically, it became famous for breaking the trend of FPS games when it started and the trend it started has now destroyed it.

Also the obligatory mention goes to Call of Duty. It was fun at first but it's long since veered down the path of unbalanced, laggy gameplay and noob-swamping.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Spyro and Crash Bandicoot after the Playstation era.
God Of War, gameplay improved, but the story kinda turns in on itself. From traditional tragedy, to Kratos being a dick.
I wanna say Bioshock, but to be fair I haven't played the second. For good reason I think, but still.

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
Fable 1 was amazing, Fable 2 was very good and Fable 3 is an abomination :(

Fable The Journey looks terrible too.

Oh and Halo 1-3 were great games while everything after that were terrible.

LeKiller

Oct 6, 2009
Banjo Kazooie
Seriously I haven't played Nuts n Bolts but dear god the cover already looks atrocious.

Ambient

Nov 19, 2009
Bioshock 2 was..something most horrible.
I love exploring and the game just screams 'HURRY HURRY HURRY HURRY HURRY HURRY HURRY HURRY HURRY HURRY oh and before I forget,HURRY!!!!'
I know it was necessary for the story, but still...

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Army of Two: The 40th Day was a waste of potential

Bagk Nakh

May 18, 2011
Svenparty said:
Eighth 1 said:
Svenparty said:
Eighth 1 said:
Bioshock. Seriously, after the abomination that was Bioshock 2, i can't even look at the first one without sighing.
The gameplay was improved but the plot was truly awful. I felt they should have focused on more supernatural elements like the ghosts and the little sister fantasies instead of just bland level after bland level bar the Ryan Theme Park.

Fable 1 and TLC seemed really good and after that Fable 2 and 3 ruined it. The worst part was Fable 3 was decent until the ending
Well they could've easily focused more on anything else if they weren't trying to shoehorn in the god awful multiplayer. I completely forgot about poor Fable, then again it's pretty easy when the last two have been ass baskets. And that's slated to become three when "The Journey" comes out...
Yeah a British game with humour+Bad Gameplay Elements+Molyneux Promises= FRUSTRATION! I WANT TO LIKE YOU BUT YOU SUCK!

I agree although that isn't an excuse since a different team built the Multiplayer.
So they couldn't have used this other team to do anything else?

Sammyjb17

Mar 7, 2011
Dragon Age: Origins.

Yeah I know Dragon Age 2 is the only sequel, but it really sucks and they don't plan to make it more like Origins.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Killzone-particularly the endings of the second game ("Wait what!?!") and the third ("WAIT WHAT!?! NO FUCK YOU GG!").

Collins254

Jul 30, 2011
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom

so the first 2 were RTS/RPG really odd gameplay mixes with actual strategy elements like using fire arrows to burn forrests, formations using close standard and open formations acutally applying effectivley, the sun actually affecting units, etc...

then came circle of doom, i was really excited for another great game. what did i get? some poor knock off with just the RPG element, but dumbed down to a beat em up game, in short a poor quality version of N3.