Your favorite jewel of Real Time Strategy Game

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Most fortuitous fellow forum-(ab)users I'm not talking about the "best" RTS game you know. I don't want to read Starcraft 200349 times here.
Personally I like the RTS-genre in general. I'm quite into it and thus I want to know If I missed some great games that are special and deserve mentioning...

Let me give an example...
I think Supreme Commander is worth noting. Especially for the late endgame Superunits that really drain the ressource and are a very fun to command. Like the huge green Flying Saucer with Independence Day dumbassobliterationyoufoolgotpawned Ray of Death or the superduperhalfwayacrossthemaprange Artillery Siege Cannon. Oh on a side node, huge Ships with Spiderlegs and an armored Tank that is a moving Vehicle Factory are nice too.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
STARCRAFT!

No, seriously though, I'm going to have to say Sacrifice here, because it leaps immediately to mind, and was terribly underrated and under appreciated for its time.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Age of empire 2 and 3. Got me hooked on RTS when I was 7 and haven't stop playing since.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
STARCRAFT!

No, seriously though, I'm going to have to say Sacrifice here, because it leaps immediately to mind, and was terribly underrated and under appreciated for its time.
This, except the last part, SC II was only bigger because now there are more gamers, not due underestimation for SC.

OT: Battle for Wesnoth? If you don't mind TBS

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
[...]I'm going to have to say Sacrifice here, because it leaps immediately to mind, and was terribly underrated and under appreciated for its time.
Good, I don't know that one. Tell me more about it, its quite hard to sympathize with a name only and the statement that it has been underated...

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Is Shogun 2 real time strategy?

If it is, Shogun 2.

If not, lolIdunno
I was afraid someone would name a Total War game. Took 2 posts, well yes I supposed its Real Time Strategy. 2/3 of it is RTS the rest is Round Based Strategy.
Very good Concept, delishous Graphical Art but the characters have been loosing depth since Total War: Rome.

SlayerN

8th Place
Nov 26, 2009
Age of Mythology, WITHOUT the expansion had countless hours of fun playing and the art style and graphics still have a nice style to them. Funnily enough, the map editor for this game is still better then the starcraft 2 editor IMO.

Aoe 1,2, and 3 were all very fun but I still didn't enjoy them as much. I Wish Robot Entertainment would make more.(The new online one doesn't count)

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
I was afraid someone would name a Total War game. Took 2 posts, well yes I supposed its Real Time Strategy. 2/3 of it is RTS the rest is Round Based Strategy.
Very good Concept, delishous Graphical Art but the characters have been loosing depth since Total War: Rome.
I disagree, that wasn't depth, it was a freaking endless unnecessary chore to micromanagement to perfection.

Also! frozen synapse if you want turn based ops like strategy!

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Sacrifice. See, when I read RTS, I think of a Strategy Game that is executed in Real Time. What I don't think of is buildings (because then I think of sim city) yet I have seen Starcraft and Dawn of War Fanboys cue themselves up for ritual suicide when faced with an RTS that has less than 50% of its time devoted to building crap.

So I choose Sacrifice as my number 1 RTS. It's just you, a demi-god summoner, a bunch of summonable units, some innocent souls, and a few altars you need to desecrate. All of the combat happens in real-time. The units all have balanced strengths and weaknesses. But the best part, by far, is that the player is forced to put his own neck on the line in order to win. None of that "I'm up here safe in the sky so I'll send these units to a horrific end so I can churn out some more orbital strikes".

Battle is exciting when you have to command from the ground.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
Good, I don't know that one. Tell me more about it, its quite hard to sympathize with a name only and the statement that it has been underated...

Sacrifice is a video game published by Interplay Entertainment in 2000 for the Windows 98 platform. Developed by Shiny Entertainment, it is a real-time strategy game, featuring elements of action and other genres. Players control wizards who fight each other with spells and summoned creatures. Impressing reviewers with its graphics, Sacrifice was the first commercial video game to make full use of video graphics cards that can process transform, clipping, and lighting instructions. The game was ported to Mac OS 9.2 in 2001.

Unlike many of its contemporary real-time strategy games, Sacrifice places little emphasis on resource gathering and management. There is no system of workers; the players' wizards collect souls to summon creatures, and their mana?energy for casting spells?constantly regenerates. Players customize their attacks by choosing from spells and creatures aligned to five gods. To defeat an opponent, the player's wizard sacrifices a friendly unit at the opposing wizard's altar, thereby desecrating it and banishing the enemy wizard. Aside from a single-player campaign, Sacrifice offers a multiplayer mode, in which up to four players can play against each other over computer networks.

Sacrifice was created by a small team of developers; most of the work was done by four key personnel. The graphic engine of the game uses tessellation: thousands of polygons are used to display an object and as lesser details are needed, the number of polygons is reduced. By adjusting the required level of detail, Sacrifice can be run on various machines with the highest possible quality of graphics. Complementing the graphics of the game were the voice work of professional actors, such as Tim Curry, and the musical compositions of Kevin Manthei. Sacrifice was praised by reviewers for the novel designs of its creatures and for its humorous content. The high level of attention needed to manage its frenetic combat was mentioned as a flaw. Despite winning several awards, Sacrifice was not a commercial success, and no sequels are planned.

RECEPTION

Initial reactions were favorable.[35][22] Sacrifice's art was a point of focus for reviewers: the fantasy creatures' novel designs made deep impressions on the industry. The designs were so unconventional that gaming journalist Michael Eilers remarked, "It is as if Salvador Dalí and H. R. Giger got together and played around with 3D Studio Max for a few weeks with a cooler full of Bass Ale between them."[20] To fellow journalist Kieron Gillen, Sacrifice resembled a version of the strategy game Command and Conquer as designed by Renaissance painter Hieronymus Bosch.[59] Aside from being impressed by the details in the graphics, GameSpy's Lee Haumersen found the creatures' movements fluid and believable, remarking, "flying dragons heave their bodies through the air reminiscent of Draco in the movie Dragonheart."[54] Journalist Tom Chick summed up the weird experience of seeing his wizard at the head of "a troop of flapping, crawling, loping, whirling, hopping things" as the essence of "what gaming is all about."[8]

Impressing IGN with its "wonderful land full of character and imagination", Sacrifice was the gaming site's choice for the best strategy game of 2000.[67] It was honored in the same year by European Computer Trade Show as the Best PC Game of the Show.[68] Since its release, Sacrifice has been one of PC Gamer's Top 100 Games for at least eight consecutive years.[59][69] Looking back at the history of real-time strategy gaming, Geryk pointed out that Sacrifice's "depth and originality" was unparalleled in the genre and often overlooked in favor of its graphics.[57] The staff of gaming site UGO shared a similar opinion, naming the game in 2009 as its eighteenth top strategy game of all time.[70]

Although Sacrifice was honored as a quality game, industry observers pointed out that its qualities were forgotten by most people; the staff of GamesRadar said the game was "practically invisible to the gaming public",[71] and according to Gillen, few remembered Sacrifice as the pioneer of the mouse-gesture control system, which was praised as revolutionary in Peter Molyneux's later game Black & White. Gillen further lamented that Sacrifice's release heralded the end of Shiny's forays into creative game development, as the company switched to producing more mainstream products, such as Enter the Matrix.[59] Despite receiving numerous calls for a sequel, Shiny said in 2002 that it would not produce one.[72] Seven years later, GamesRadar repeated the call for a sequel while proclaiming Sacrifice "one of the most underappreciated games of all time".[71]

Byr0m

Jun 7, 2010
Imperium Galactica 2 - it's old as hell but it's like Civ in Space but with real-time ground and space battles - totally love it :D

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Company of heroes: still my candidate for best rts of the last decade (unless we also count Homeworld...)

Relic games in general are worth a look but coh for me is still their ultimate rts, took the best mechanics of dow1 and improved them, kept the relic standard for voice acting and ramped up on the music and overall presentation and the result is a fucking awesome ww2 rts.

It's worth mentionning game has a great modding community too ^^

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
prepare for longest name ever (the lord of the rings the battle for middle earth 2, and the expansion pack, the lord of the rings the battle for middle earth 2 the rise of the witch king expansion pack) is my personal favorite for lan party's and notable mention too command and conquer 3 tiberuim wars for a strong single player

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
World in Conflict and Company of Heroes.

Any day. Any week. Any year. Absolute quality through and through.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I would actually go with Dawn of War (the first one), not sure if it qualifies strictly as a RTS, but I love it because it takes away the micromanagement horseshittery... yes you guessed it I am not Korean.

Close second is Sins of a Solar Empire, huge space battles with yet again little to no micromanagement.

weker

May 27, 2009
League of legends for me as it is the game I have played the most in my life, and also the only game I have ever been slightly addicted to in anyway. Also FYI I have played WoW and many other MMO for a long while XD