Your Favorite Kung Fu Movie

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
WhoaItsBrett said:
IP man 1-2.
Ong Bak 1-2.
Drunken Master.
The Man From Nowhere (Not sure if this can be classified as kung-fu, but he does kick the shit out of people...)
This.
(Sadly, do not bother with Ong Bak 3, it spends far far far too long on utterly irrelevant and poorly written plot and not hardly enough time on Tony Jaa crippling people with his elbows)

Also, I'd add
Dynamite Warrior (bizarre muy thai movie featuring a dude who shoots rockets at people)
Oldboy (also not really a kung fu movie, but it's got one of the best-filmed fight scenes in Korean cinema)
and 'Snake And Crane Arts of Shaolin', Jackie Chan's second-ever movie. He hadn't assumed his role as wing chun clown yet and the creators of the movie were REALLY trying to show off what this ninteen-year-old (!!) prodigy could do, so it's just fight after fight after fight after fight after fight. After fight. After fight.

After fight.

Seriously, there is a fight literally every five minutes.

And it's awesome.

(Edit: and Hero. Hero was awesome.)

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
Ip Man, that movie rocks.

Second post huh? Glad I'm not the only one who knows that movie owns.

Machine gun pawnch!

BehattedWanderer said:
Ong Bak

These aren't Kung Fu, but I'm a newb in this field, so I'll just be listing some of my favorite choreographed fighting films, with as much "Eastern" influence as will fit. Yes, I know they're different styles from different countries, but I can't tell the difference in fighting styles, so if it gets the awesome stamp, it gets the awesome stamp.
And that was the other one I was thinking of (though I'd forgotten the name). Also, when I hear "kung fu movie," I don't take it to mean a movie with kung fu in it. I thought it was just a slightly tongue in cheek term describing martial arts focused action movies about, set in, or cast from the East. As I understand it, kung fu is a really boring style of fighting to watch anyway - it's mostly about being able to punch somebody really fucking hard once and not falling over when someone does the same to you. (Again, as I understand it. Don't take my word on it.)

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
summerof2010 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Ip Man, that movie rocks.

Second post huh? Glad I'm not the only one who knows that movie owns.

Machine gun pawnch!
Seriously dude, this movie kicks major ass. Donnie Yen is the man!

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
SpaceBat said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
NightmareLuna said:
Kung Fu Panda 2... Hands down the best.
I'm not sure whether you're being serious or not, but in either case that is genuinely my answer as well.
I mean, it made me tear up in the cinema! It was awesome!
Is it much better than the first movie? Because I found that one to be horrifyingly awful to watch.
Well it depends what put you off the first one; the only real flaw I could find with 2 is that the humour often gets forced into places which ruin the dramatic tension and emotional points of the film. If Dreamworks had the balls just to play the story completely straight it would probably be an even better film. Most of the jokes do work pretty well when they're not getting in the way though, and the action is pretty strong as well.

But yeah, what made Kung Fu Panda 2 stand apart was the surprisingly intense emotional drama that turns up in the middle.

WhoaItsBrett

Jan 22, 2010
xvbones said:
WhoaItsBrett said:
IP man 1-2.
Ong Bak 1-2.
Drunken Master.
The Man From Nowhere (Not sure if this can be classified as kung-fu, but he does kick the shit out of people...)
This.
(Sadly, do not bother with Ong Bak 3, it spends far far far too long on utterly irrelevant and poorly written plot and not hardly enough time on Tony Jaa crippling people with his elbows)

Also, I'd add
Dynamite Warrior (bizarre muy thai movie featuring a dude who shoots rockets at people)
Oldboy (also not really a kung fu movie, but it's got one of the best-filmed fight scenes in Korean cinema)
and 'Snake And Crane Arts of Shaolin', Jackie Chan's second-ever movie. He hadn't assumed his role as wing chun clown yet and the creators of the movie were REALLY trying to show off what this ninteen-year-old (!!) prodigy could do, so it's just fight after fight after fight after fight after fight. After fight. After fight.

After fight.

Seriously, there is a fight literally every five minutes.

And it's awesome.

(Edit: and Hero. Hero was awesome.)
Ong Bak 3 was a major disappointment. The plot was everywhere, I couldn't follow most of it. It lost what made the old movies so awesome. Non-stop ass-kicking. Oldboy is a great movie, I watched it on Netflix the same day I watch The Man From Nowhere, and I Saw The Devil. (Another excellent movie.)

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Revolutionaryloser said:
Wushu Panda said:
Not to make a big thing out of it but what is a kung fu movie then?
I mean, seriously. Matrix should be like the archetypical kung fu movie seeing as it's a love letter to all kung fu movies. It's just condensed martial arts action and direction with a lot of work from some of the best kung fu directors and choreographers available. And then, we have the fact that nearly every scene is taken from an existing movie.

Just look at that! What part of that isn't kung fu?

I mean, unless you mean it should be specifically kung fu and not martial arts in general but honestly I think it's implied by this point. In film, the terms tend to be interchanged for understandable reasons.
The Matrix is in no way an archetype, it's the opposite. Archetypes inspire other creations, instead, the Matrix copies other action films to fill in plot holes from its main Science Fiction plot. Maybe those movie scenes were on the disk that was used to teach Neo fighting skills. but the fighting isn't the main focus of the movie, some other stuff is.

A better archetype would be Enter the Dragon. Kung Fu movies focus on the kung fu. Classically speaking they show the protagonist(s) studying their martial skills and usually learning and mastering a new style to help them over come the antagonist(s). Likewise, a good Kung Fu movie will go into the philosophical aspects of the martial art.

The Martix just uses special effects and, apparently, has no authentic fight scenes. You weren't supposed to be concerned with the fighting style Neo had instantly downloaded into his head. You were suppose to focus on his transition into becoming The One and learning to exploit the "rules" of the cyber world.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Revolutionaryloser said:
You're not really convincing me here. The Matrix has a lot of martial arts in it. It sounds kind of ludicrous for you to say that martial arts films shouldn't have special effects. Just about every one I've watched has more or less the same amount than Matrix. And it's better if you don't go into philosophy with the Matrix. The Matrix is about 50% discussions on philosophy and about half of that philosophizing is about how to help Neo fight. In case you didn't realize, exploiting those "rules" is in more ways than one a metaphor and how Neo becomes stronger and wiser is a parallel to many other films in the genre. The film makes a very clear point about this. Even if Neo learns the techniques, it doesn't mean he can use them; Neo needed to free his mind in order to trully master martial arts.

Look, I'm not trying to say that Matrix is better than all the other martial arts films, but it has it's place among them. It takes scenes from other films because a) every film should do that and b) they were trying to capture the essence of eastern martial arts action and present the story to a western audience so taking some of the best scenes from other films serves as a showcase of the different wonders martial arts films have to offer.

I just can't agree with you here. You don't seem to be aware how much effort the creators put into making these fight scenes and blending the dozen types of martial arts you see in the film seamlessly. Maybe you don't think the focus of the Matrix and other martial arts films are the same but that is just appearances. Matrix is an abstract form of martial arts film. The plot is essentially about Neo spiritually ascending and reaching a new level wherein he is not subject to the phisical limitations of his own body and mind. That is the underlying theme of some of the best martial arts movies.
You're not making any sense.

First you say it's better if you don't go into the philosophy of the Matrix, and then you say that philosophy is 50% of it? If you say it's half the film, why do you also say it's better if you leave it out? What is that supposed to mean?

Likewise, why should all films copy each other? Should every movie be like 'The Expendables'? No unique action, plot, characters, etc...just the same damn stuff you've seen 100 times over in the past? I loved 'The Matrix' when it came out. It was a fun science fiction that had great action, but now you tell me they ripped off of everyone else. How am I supposed to be in "awe" of the creators effort when you gave up proof all they did was copy other choreographers fighting work? Most of their effort went into watching Trinity kick some guy in the face for all 3 movies, or computer generating the biggest fight scenes.

I never said that martial arts films should not have special effects, why are you saying I did? Plenty of modern martial art films have special effects, but they use the special effects to actually accent the fighting and skill of each character. The Matrix accents explosions, people jumping, and bullets flying through the air. Quite different from the special effects you would see in 'Seven Swords' or 'Hero'. That you cannot argue.

Lastly, this thread is about Kung Fu films specifically. As I have already stated and as you have stated...
blending the dozen types of martial arts you see in the film
The Matrix isnt just about Kung Fu, they throw all kinds of shit in there. Sure, the movie has it's place, at the bottom of the list. It's more focused on being a science fiction film over an actual martial arts movie. You can give me all this fabricated BS on it's "underlying themes", but nothing Ive seen in the movie leads me to believe the creators were thinking that deep.

Carl The Manicorn

Jun 16, 2009
Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee

I have seen that movie more times than any other kung fu movie ever. I started watching that when I was eight with my dad. He would always skip over a part of the movie, but I can't for the life of me remember what part. I think it was the part where the girl shows her tits.

Doesn't matter, still the best movie ever made.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Revolutionaryloser said:
OK firstly you've misunderstood something. I said it's better not to go into the philosophy of Matrix because the philosophy of Matrix is way deeper than most martial arts films so you r argument that Matrix isn't as deep as other martial arts films is plain misinformed.

I was trying to be respectful and listen to your opinions because you seemed to think you knew a lot about the genre but now I suspect that you know less than I do. You don't know much about films in general and the huge evolution of cinematography that Matrix brought with it especially in the martial arts genre. Scholars worldwide credit Matrix with some of the most innovative and revolutionary filming techniques ever. Some of the best martial arts directors that have ever lived worked to create the scenes in that film and it represents the most ambitious martial arts filming project in history. You also don't seem to understand the difference between a reference and "ripping-off". Aside from that, if the same director that filmed one scene reproduces the scene in another film, how can he be ripping-off his own work?

If you really did know anything about martial arts or Kung Fu you would know that Kung Fu englobes an absurdly large and vague legacy of styles, philosophies, practices and combat techniques that originated from the historical region of China. As such, nearly every popular martial art today (and certainly every martial art in Matrix) stems or is very heavily influenced by the Kung Fu tradition. Trying to exclude martial arts that are not "Kung Fu" is silly because martial arts and Kung Fu are integral parts of each other. Then you seem to think that Hero counts as a good example of a "kung fu" movie of all things. Hero is to real martial arts what My Little Pony is to real horses. If you'd asked me to choose one film which was definitely less realistic (n the usage actual martial arts techniques) it would have definitely been Hero. You're talking about the film where they spend half of the time fighting in the air, stopping thousands of arrows with their blades and using ludicrous secret techniques that have no basing in any type of martial arts and which they never even explain.

And seriously, you are arguing that because a film like Matrix has a plot it makes it less worthy? For your information, Matrix isn't even the most fantasy story in the genre. Hell, moreoften than not martial arts films are based around some sorceress putting evil spells on her enemies and the ghosts of ancetors leading the protagonist or whatever. Is Journey to the East not the quintessential martial arts story? Did it have to sacrifice it's pretentions to a well written and profound story to be part of the martial arts genre? No it didn't. Just because a lot Chinese directors don't enjoy big juicy Hollywood film budgets to make their movies doesn't mean that when a director does get a generous budget and can flesh out a really good film he should be chastised for it.

Kung Fu films don't have to be "just about Kung Fu". The plot can be about anything as long as the fight scenes are still there. Jackie Chan movies spend a lot of time showing off death-defying stunts which have nothing to do with martial arts. Do we go around saying Jackie Chan films aren't really martial arts films? I don't and neither should anybody else because a film shouldn't be limited by the genre it was concieved in. The genre should be providing a strong foundation upon which to make better and better films, not a cage in which they are forced to repeat the same formulas.

And before you go and say guns aren't martial arts or something silly like that, yes, guns are martial arts and many of the best martial arts films feature gun fights generously.
What are you, 12?
the same director that filmed one scene reproduces the scene in another film, how can he be ripping-off his own work?
It's called plagiarism, and yes you can very well plagiarize your own work. Ask any teacher, or have you not graduated starter school yet?

If so many scholars credit the Matrix with copying other martial arts films, then please by all means post the articles or some proof. And before YOU mistake any further, just because the cinematography was good in the Matrix doesn't make it a good martial arts film. HOW you shoot something does not necessarily improve WHAT you shoot.

I know more about guns and Kung Fu than you ever will. I'm an expert level marksmen by NRA standards; pistols, rifles, and shotguns. Also, for the past few years I've been studying Northern Long-fist Wushu, and have proved to be pretty damn good. I don't compete, I study it for self-defense and health. I know a lot about the various styles of Wushu, because I have been learning them. I have forms that originated from Shaolin, contemporary broadsword styles, Gong Li (a form passed down for hundreds of years and taught to Chinese military forces). I know more than you ever will.

I've trained with people who have black belts in Taekowndo, Jiu Jitsu, Samurai, Karate, and they do not encompass ANYTHING that Wushu teaches. Wushu is by no means an "integral" part of other martial arts. Each one is different, teaches different principles, and trains you in different ways.

You want to speak of how "real" Hero is...compared to The Matrix? Hero is based on a true historic figure, and all those action scenes were told via story from Hero to the Emperor. They were exaggerations of the true details to make Hero seem that he did all of this in the name of his king to get closer for his mission.

And no, I'm not arguing that since The Matrix has a plot it makes it less worthy. Once again, you're twisting my words around not paying attention. Im saying because the plot is based on humans rising against machines, because the biggest actions scenes are computer models. In ALL the martial arts discussions I have ever had with people, not a single practitioner of martial arts has ever referenced the action in the Matrix. People who have multiple black belts and have been studying for decades, have never once talked about the Matrix as a good Kung Fu movie.

Just because a movie has Kung Fu action, doesn't make it a Kung Fu film. Supercop is an action film, but I would not instantly label it a Kung Fu film. Why? Because Kung Fu is the type of action China has. They focus just enough on his martial skill to show that he can handle himself in rough situations, but the main story is that he is the only cop strong enough to stop the drug lords.

Lastly, no. I know many real life martial artists who would instantly get mad at you for saying guns are indeed martial arts and are featured in the best martial art films. Though I personally have no problems with guns, many of the people who practice martial arts do. Martial arts is about training your mind and body with discipline. Finding inner strength and turning it outward, relying on your natural power. Guns go against this and many martial artists have problems with them. it doesnt matter how much you have trained yourself, guns can tip the balance in any direction.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Take it from someone who practices Wushu. The Matrix has some decent Kung Fu-type action, but I shall never consider it a "kung fu film". It is a wonderful science fiction film, but it stays there. I will not agree with whatever you say. You have a terrible basis for facts, don't seme to understand the basic principles of Wushu, and seem to think good cinematography outright means good Kung Fu film.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
One of my absolute favorites: Enter the Dragon.
Then, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Then, Fearless