Your Favorite Leisure Reading, Plus a Request

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
When threads about favorite books come up, I tend to see a lot of familiar writers crop up. Pratchett, Adams, Rowling, Gibson, Nabakov, Tolkien, Brooks, Card, and Whendig all seem to come up pretty frequently among Ecapists. Between zombies, sci-fi, and fantasy, the bases are usually covered.

As much as I'm a fan of the occasional Dune or Jennifer Government recommendation, I never quite get a good feel for what sorts of genres people like individually. I'd've never run into Dietz or Niven without recommendation, both of whom write some pretty interesting novels. The Dresden Files novels, my favorite series to date, was also a recommendation.

So I'm curious where everyone else found their favorite piece of leisure reading, and for bonus points, what parts of that(/those) book(s) were your favorite, and if you've seen it elsewhere? (1)

+Request: I'm toying with the idea of doing a regular serial story online somewhere, probably not unlike the old magazine narratives of yore. (Sherlock Holmes was written that way.) However, I'm curious what genre/elements people would like to see more often. Obviously some stuff is going to conflict ("I want swords and horses" wouldn't go overly well with "I'd like to see more post-future sci-fi"), but I want to get a feel for what sorts of things people like to read.

So, hit me up with suggestions for things you'd like to see more often, or even things you'd like to see less often in writing, overused tropes or the like. (2)

Appreciate responses for either part.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I tend to sway towards the Fantasy & Crime genres. Think A Song of Ice & Fire, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Chronicles of the Dark Ages, I Am Not A Serial Killer.. Stuff like that.

My all time favourite book series has to go to Dexter. They're brilliant written, they're pretty grisly, and they're deliciously twisted when compared to the TV show.

Recently, I've also been getting into reading non-fiction books (predominantly biological/medical), but somehow I don't think you're as interested in hearing about those.

TheSexyBeast

Jul 19, 2013
My favourite genre of reading is usually Crime novels, such as The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, The Day of the Jackal and James Patterson's character Alex Cross, but I do dabble in other literature, something I remember enjoying and was able to relate to were the Adrian Mole book series, I remember those so well. ha, great stuff.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
NewClassic said:
Most of my interests in reading came from stuff that my sister usually bought at thrift shops (usually crime). But then I found a sight called sfbookcase, or something along those lines and just trawled through that to see what looked interesting. Stuff like Tolkien etc. had enough media exposure for me to try out as a matter of course, but other stuff like Snyder, Brett, McIntosh and so on I came by purely by accident.

That and what I read now tends more to history and reference, which stems from my old man's interests being inherited. I now have a small library of books on mid-Republic Rome and the Napoleonic Wars.

As for your request... not sure, but historical fiction (oh what a surprise, given the above) isn't that well served IMO, because there is quite a fine line between blind distortion, merely maintaining the chronology and strict adherence to recognised events/motivations/participants which a lot of people find dull/dry (I don't agree, since there's a certain challenge to be had in writing a story that is both completely true and dramatic). Anyway, it is a line that is not well walked by the vast majority of authors. At least from what I've read (though to be fair, they were on subjects very close to my intellectual heart, so I'm inclined to be critical).

SoManyCrimes

Mar 22, 2013
I'm a freelance fiction editor, so most of my time is spent working on genre stuff (mainly sci-fi, crime and fantasy). Because of that, I try to avoid it in my leisure reading. I've been reading a lot of Thomas Pynchon lately. He's not to everyone's taste, and I can certainly see why, but I enjoy how he flagrantly breaks all the "rules" that I spend my working hours trying to instill into my clients!

I'd like to see more serialized crime, but it's very difficult to do. Many people like to write serials because they feel less pressure to plan ahead (although just writing that makes me shudder!), but unstructured crime stories turn to quicksand even more easily than other genres.

Whatever kind of serial you choose, my main advice would be to make sure you give proper consideration to how your chapters end. There should be a strong incentive to keep reading after each one, but too many overt cliffhangers can become tiresome.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I usually read fantasy or historical fiction, although I have a bit of everything in my library.

My favourite parts of books aren't epic fight scenes or romances, it's just when characters are believable in their interactions with each other. When the characters have a chemistry (friendship, romance, enmity, or whatever) and it comes through in the writing. That's what I enjoy most.

Some books are really really good and I reread them once a year or so. Some books are really really good, but I don't like to reread them. Because the author abuses the characters I love TOO much, and the characters don't have anyone to balance them out. But I also hate when characters have obvious plot armor. It's a hard balance to strike, and as a writer myself I find it really painful to hurt or kill my characters. But it's what makes a story good when you identify with the characters and genuinely feel what they feel as you read.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I don't think you can get a good story by asking people what they want to read about. Instead, write about something that interests you and make us want to read about it.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Leisure reading for me varies greatly, right now, Into the Wild is what I'm on. As for your request, I honestly don't know. I think the idea of wilderness survival isn't done a whole lot, but I'm not sure how interesting it would be. Of course, you could do wilderness survival, but with zombies.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I am quite disappointed in my fellow Escapists because no body every mentions the [em]Malazan Book of the Fallen[/em] in any of the threads about books that I have read. Yes, I somewhat enjoy that feeling of exclusivity, people, but I also wish that the author, Steven Erikson, should enjoy more success.

At any given moment, my "leisure" reading spans quite a few genres. Right now, I am reading Gibbon's monumental [em]Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire[/em]. It's an exquisite read because Gibbon has a very elegant way of writing. I'll also, probably, finish reading [em]A Memory of Light[/em] from the Wheel of Time this weekend. Lastly, I am trying bring my French up to par by reading French short stories from Maupassant, Émile Zola, André Theuriet. Their stories are excellent and their style is easy enough for an intermediate reader like me to understand.
NewClassic said:
+Request: I'm toying with the idea of doing a regular serial story online somewhere, probably not unlike the old magazine narratives of yore. (Sherlock Holmes was written that way.) However, I'm curious what genre/elements people would like to see more often. Obviously some stuff is going to conflict ("I want swords and horses" wouldn't go overly well with "I'd like to see more post-future sci-fi"), but I want to get a feel for what sorts of things people like to read.

So, hit me up with suggestions for things you'd like to see more often, or even things you'd like to see less often in writing, overused tropes or the like. (2)

As to your second question, I'll be willing to read the stuff you write. However, I don't see a lot of common ground between us. Fantasy hits a sweet spot for me, and I haven't been into mystery novels ever since I read Sherlock Holmes and the Famous Five a long time ago. I don't have anything really specific that I would like to see, but there are certain elements of story writing that I favour:

1) I don't like cliff-hangers. If you go through with the serialized format, I would prefer it that if each story in the sequence is more-or-less self-contained. Continuity is possible without that low hanging fruit called, "cliff-hangers".
2) I also like my stories told in some form of the past tense (imperfect, pluperfect, perfect, and the compound past). Normally, This isn't a problem but I have been put off of some rather famous books including the likes of [em]Hunger Games[/em] because they feature too much variations of the present tense.
3) I quite enjoy archetype characters if they are well written and are contextually justified. I find it annoying when writers try to make their characters multi-dimensional to a non-nonsensical degree.
4) I don't find socio-political themes interesting. I find themes that transcend history to be much more appealing than those that trying to tell me to support a certain side fighting over some ancient lines in the sand in the Middle East.

I'll certainly check your stories out, but I can't promise that I will like them enough to follow them regularly.

Good luck!

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
NewClassic said:
So I'm curious where everyone else found their favorite piece of leisure reading, and for bonus points, what parts of that(/those) book(s) were your favorite, and if you've seen it elsewhere? (1)
Wanna know something stupid and awesome. Al Pacino introduced me to one of my favourite authors, sort of. He's in some film, that I'm not gonna bother to look up, about the CIA and moles and stuff. And at some point in the film Al Pacino turns to some guy, and makes some metaphor about their current situation starting with 'Have you read any Vonnegut?' (Yeah, I know he's a famous author, but I'd never heard of him), and then proceeds to recount the plot of Cat's Cradle. I thought it sounded pretty cool, so I bought it, it then became one of my favourite books ever. It's simply awesome, and I'd never have known about it if it weren't for Mr. Pacino.

For my more usual method of finding books, I tend to look at my recommendations on Amazon, and pick things that sound cool from there. Also, threads like this (and the typical 'recommend me a book' threads) often come up with some pretty nifty suggestions.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
(1) Well, let's see...my favourite leisure reading is a broad scope, there is all sorts of old sci-fi I'm into, and that came from the libraries of my father, my mother (or more like, from my uncle on my mother's side) who were into that. Especially my father. I also got Stephen King from both of them (I even have some book twice due to that fact). Terry Pratchett came from a schoolmate of mine - he was really into the stuff and one time just went "You know what, you'll like it. Here, have this book" and have me Interesting Times. After that, I borrowed few more until I started buying them myself. I also got into the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from the same guy (though he just went into how awesome the book was, I dug it out home from my uncle's collection). The Dresden Files I came into after watching the TV series.

Can't say which parts are my favourites - too many things.

I don't know what you mean by have I seen them elsewhere. I guess I lose out on bonus points :/

(2) What do I want to see more of? Well, three words: cyberpunk, cyberpunk, and cyberpunk. If you're not into that, then, I'd really appreciate some more humour. You know what I mean - something H2G2 or Discworld-like, thogh maybe not to that extent, if you want some seriousness, but just injecting humorous bits would still be appreciated.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I WANTED TO POST THIS THREAD!

Oh well.
Honestly, I don't care for fantasy or sci-fi that much. I've been slowly working my way through Game of Throne and recently and I'm enjoying it, but it's by no means representative of the rest of my library.
I actually prefer non-fiction. I like how it makes me feel smarter. I think it all started when I saw one of my friend's parents' house. Reading is the only thing his mom does when she's not at work, so the house is filled with books--she'll read two normal sized books in a night if she can't sleep. Almost all of it is pulpy sci-fi or fantasy, and it got me thinking: If she had been reading non-fiction instead and she retained even a fraction of the information, she'd still be a contender on Jeopardy.

It's really not a cynical as I'm making it sound. You just have to find subjects you're into. I bought the 2000-page autobiography of the Soviet ambassador to the US during the cold war because I heard he shit-talks Reagan in it--also it'd be cool to hear the Cold War story from the other side.

It may not seem all that helpful for a sci-fi/fantasy short story series, but if you read enough non-fiction you'll see fact really is stranger than fiction. You could use little known historic events for inspiration. I'd love to see someone do something with the story of Peter the Great of Russia's rise to power. You'll have to change stuff to make it believable in a fictional setting though.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
... historical fiction (oh what a surprise, given the above) isn't that well served IMO, because there is quite a fine line between blind distortion, merely maintaining the chronology and strict adherence to recognised events/motivations/participants which a lot of people find dull/dry (I don't agree, since there's a certain challenge to be had in writing a story that is both completely true and dramatic). Anyway, it is a line that is not well walked by the vast majority of authors. At least from what I've read (though to be fair, they were on subjects very close to my intellectual heart, so I'm inclined to be critical).
The true challenge with writing along these lines is keeping things in the right context moreso than in the right timeline or accurate to the events. To me, narratives are powered by protagonists and their personalities. History often has a lot contextual tidbits and precise events that apply themselves rather ably to the events. Concurrent events and historical plans of interest had a lot of moving parts, orchestrated often across huge interconnected times.

To me, I feel like historical retellings, or historical fiction, is better left to the people who take an active interest in it. My first love will always be the assemblage of words, so trying to take someone else's pride and joy and do it justice seems like it would overtax me a fair amount. Possible, but probably not something I'd do regularly. I'll keep the idea in mind, though. I love the premise, and if I find a subject I can immerse myself in, I suspect there could be a lot of good coming from it. Even taking fictional history, like the fictional Empty Fort Strategy employed by Zhuge Liang [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_Fort_Strategy#Zhuge_Liang], would make for an interesting tale if written well.

It's unlikely I'll have an immediate use for this idea, but I like it, and if I can find a worthy subject, I'll be certain to try to include it. The idea is pretty excellent.

SoManyCrimes said:
Whatever kind of serial you choose, my main advice would be to make sure you give proper consideration to how your chapters end. There should be a strong incentive to keep reading after each one, but too many overt cliffhangers can become tiresome.
That's one of my concerns for doing a serial. I fully intended to have a blanket beginning and ending point, and the chapters will only serve to push the characters in the direction they need to go for the ending to make sense and the characters themselves to want to pursue whatever method gets them through their conflict.

However, like any given serial, there needs to be some interest in getting to know where the next chapter leads. I've never been a fan of big, reaching cliffhangers, so I wasn't really chomping at the bit to do them. I figured there would be a few knee-jerk endings or surprise hangers, but it's hard to craft any narrative without a little bit of mystery tied to the end, so it's probably inevitable at some point. Hopefully I don't end up doing it too badly.

And I certainly appreciate the input of a professional.

Queen Michael said:
Instead, write about something that interests you and make us want to read about it.
That's always been the plan. This thread is as much about genres as it is about elements. To me, strong characters make up great parts of stories, but writers like Neil Stephenson and Scott Wooding both have done marvelous work with setting that make me realize that there's a lot of charm to be found in the world as well as the individuals. Couple that with Douglas Adams' sense of narrative tone and language, and you get a sense that there's always some new element to practice, absorb, and attempt to incorporate.

Jux said:
I think the idea of wilderness survival isn't done a whole lot, but I'm not sure how interesting it would be.
My outdoor knowledge is actually abysmal. I don't think I could do this without royally mauling the subject material. Sorry.

Giest4life said:
3) I quite enjoy archetype characters if they are well written and are contextually justified. I find it annoying when writers try to make their characters multi-dimensional to a non-nonsensical degree.

4) I don't find socio-political themes interesting. I find themes that transcend history to be much more appealing than those that trying to tell me to support a certain side fighting over some ancient lines in the sand in the Middle East.
To me, Homestuck is a personification of that first problem. The writing is so helter-skelter. To me, I find people fit into tropes fairly reasonably, but they'll always have contradictions and unique nuances. I always try to make characters that fit that bill.

To that end, I'm more concerned with interpersonal things rather than socio-political ones. I've never been much of a sociologist, so trying to command a people within a narrative seems like it would be too ticklish to cover in any meaningful way.

DoPo said:
(2) What do I want to see more of? Well, three words: cyberpunk, cyberpunk, and cyberpunk. If you're not into that, then, I'd really appreciate some more humour. You know what I mean - something H2G2 or Discworld-like, thogh maybe not to that extent, if you want some seriousness, but just injecting humorous bits would still be appreciated.
Ooh, cyberpunk might be fun. I also had a recommendation for futuretech, which would fit comfortably there. I'm still considering what to do with it, but this is an idea I'm pretty comfortable doing. Humor in writing is tough, I find, but I always try to include it.

triggrhappy94 said:
I WANTED TO POST THIS THREAD!
Sorry about that.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd like doing alternate/fictional history, but it's not a subject I'm intimately familiar with, so it would be challenging for me to do it effectively. I haven't ruled it out, though. I might draw inspiration from history, which would be much more workable for my skillset.

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
On the subject of your first question, I tend towards historical fiction for leisure reading, even though the further I get into my history degree, the more disgusted I get by the lack of badass female protags in the books.

(And if the books do have badass female protags, they almost always have a heavy dose of romance, and I'm frankly not there for the romance. I'll fix this one day, I promise.)

NewClassic said:
As I mentioned earlier, I'd like doing alternate/fictional history, but it's not a subject I'm intimately familiar with, so it would be challenging for me to do it effectively. I haven't ruled it out, though. I might draw inspiration from history, which would be much more workable for my skillset.
Um, just going to casually throw this out there, but I mention above that I'm working on a history degree and while that's centered on British history, I do tend to just dig about things until I exhaust all the knowledge I can about a particular subject, even if it has nothing to do with my field of study. So if you do end up doing an alt. history thing of some sort, I'd be willing to answer questions you might have or dig up answers to those questions if I don't already have it on hand. Just an offer, feel free to do with it as you wish. :)

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Right now? Homstuck, Batman, old Conan and some Lovecraft. I read Lovecraft in general, though. Otherwise I usually read classics or other shit I have on my 'must-read' list, a list that isn't that much leisure. I also read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files whenever a new book comes out.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Jux said:
Leisure reading for me varies greatly, right now, Into the Wild is what I'm on. As for your request, I honestly don't know. I think the idea of wilderness survival isn't done a whole lot, but I'm not sure how interesting it would be. Of course, you could do wilderness survival, but with zombies.
The Zombie-trend needs to fucking die (pun intended). I'm so, so tired of people going 'What about X...BUT WITH ZOMBIES!?'
They have become so popular that they aren't even close to scary, and whenever 'Zombie Apocalypse' comes to mind, I just remember the flaws that a zombie apocalypse would have that Cracked points out (like how they would all easily be mowed down by the army, or how they would rot, or freeze in the winter, etc). All the points that are conveniently ignored in World War Z.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Realitycrash said:
Jux said:
The Zombie-trend needs to fucking die (pun intended). I'm so, so tired of people going 'What about X...BUT WITH ZOMBIES!?'
They have become so popular that they aren't even close to scary, and whenever 'Zombie Apocalypse' comes to mind, I just remember the flaws that a zombie apocalypse would have that Cracked points out (like how they would all easily be mowed down by the army, or how they would rot, or freeze in the winter, etc). All the points that are conveniently ignored in World War Z.
I actually hate zombies, the italics were meant to be taken as sarcasm/campy.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
NewClassic said:
SckizoBoy said:
To me, I feel like historical retellings, or historical fiction, is better left to the people who take an active interest in it. My first love will always be the assemblage of words, so trying to take someone else's pride and joy and do it justice seems like it would overtax me a fair amount. Possible, but probably not something I'd do regularly. I'll keep the idea in mind, though. I love the premise, and if I find a subject I can immerse myself in, I suspect there could be a lot of good coming from it. Even taking fictional history, like the fictional Empty Fort Strategy employed by Zhuge Liang [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_Fort_Strategy#Zhuge_Liang], would make for an interesting tale if written well.
WHAT? That didn't really happen? But it was so awesome. Bah, I'm disappointed now. . . I guess that's what you get for learning your history from partially fictionalised novels. . .

(and the fact it can be defeated with simple logic is just rubbing salt into the wound).

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
NewClassic said:

At the risk of sounding cliche, do yourself a favour and write what you yourself would like to read. It may take a while, but if you do it well (and I know you - you are perfectly capable of that) you'll be able to develop a unique base organically.

That said, I'm a huge fan of anachronistic fantasy or sci-fi (Terry Pratchett and Garth Nix are two examples that come to mind), and my favourite novel is To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

I've been toying with the idea of using a similar kind of publication method to showcase my written material, but I'm not sure how to go about hosting it - nor do I know anything about website design. Any help or advice on the technical side of things would be greatly appreciated as well.