Your favorite non-Final Fantasy Squaresoft game?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm talking any game Pre-Square Enix days, going back in time...My personal favorite game from those days is SaGa Frontier 1. It was an extremely open-ended RPG with seven characters whose paths intersected in various ways, but without ruining each characters own, individual plot. Even the battle system was open-ended, what with mechs who can equip nearly anything and monsters who can absorb other monsters after battle to learn a skill and change their form, which then changes their stats. Characters also learn abilities in the midst of battle, depending on what they were using. If you use fists, you can learn better melee techs, etc. And you could become a superhero in one of the plotlines. There were also a ton of sidequests and areas to explore, and even some incredible secret characters.

Honorable mentions: Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana

EDIT: I doesn't even have to be an RPG, for you Brave Fencer fans.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Chrono Trigger, hands down.

Baring that obvious choice Legend of Mana is a flawed personal favorite, I also loved Saga Frontier 2, The World Ends with You, Xenogears and Front Mission 3.

Chrono Cross is a terrible sequel to Chrono Trigger, but a fine game when judged by its own merrits.

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
Einhander. Hands down. Honorable mention to Chrono Trigger. Xenogears failed to keep my attention for some reason.

Vlane said:
NeonZombie said:
Nah final fantasy was the best sorry
Have you even played the original one? It wasn't that good.
Eh. You had to be there. For the NES era, it was a fun game and it was somehow less tedious than the NES versions of Ultima and other RPG contemporaries.

NeonZombie

Feb 5, 2009
roblikestoskate said:
Einhander. Hands down. Honorable mention to Chrono Trigger. Xenogears failed to keep my attention for some reason.

Ooh! yes i agree with this actually

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Pigeon_Grenade said:
Star Ocean: till the End of time
That was a good one, but its publisher was Enix and then later, Square Enix and, oddly, Ubisoft...
according to this at least...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean:_Till_the_End_of_Time

Sorry for nitpicking! But I had a sneaking suspicion.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Chrono Trigger would probably be my favourite Square game overall. However, at the moment its the only non Final Fantasy Square game I've played that doesn't involve Donald Duck. My opinion will probably change after I've played Xenogears. I'm a sucker for convulted, psuedo-philosophical mecha storylines.

Stickman Sam

Apr 18, 2008
Waheyy! Cheers. I never managed to complete slash mode without getting killed to unlock that character with the gun though, that was insanely frustrating. But an awesome game to just pick up and play.

Aside from that I haven't explored much Squaresoft apart from Final Fantasy.

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
Stickman Sam said:
Wasn't Bushido Blade by Squaresoft? I loved that game.
Now there's a creative answer. I approve.

Mr.Bubbles43 said:
I believe kingdom hearts counts, so I vote that.
Kingdom Hearts has it's merits.

If anybody mentions Tobal No. 1, there will be laughter... with an "S".

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Chrono Trigger fo' sheezy. I concur with Pedro that Cross was a good game on its own, but such a terrible sequel.