Your favorite painting

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Lets get a little culture up in this *****.

What's your favorite painting? Classical, modern... whatever.

The Lovers is a very close second for me, since Im a huge fan of René Magritte, but Im going to have to give it to The Birth of Venus. I could stare at it for hours.

So, what's your favorite? Pics or it didnt happen.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I guess it's not technically a painting, but whatever.
If you can't tell, I haven't really had the time or interest to acquaint myself with classic/famous paintings.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Jonluw said:
If you can't tell, I haven't really had the time or interest to acquaint myself with classic/famous paintings.
Doesnt have to be famous to be good.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
MajorTomServo said:
Jonluw said:
Doesnt have to be famous to be good.
Sure, but what I mean is that what appeals to me about the painting isn't the composition, the technical skill involved, or anything that has something to do with painting, really.
It's just that the image is taken from a series that really touched me.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Hmmm... this is interesting... though I have quite a few that I like for whatever reason, so I'll have to have a number of categories:

'The Battle of Hohenfriedberg, The March of the Prussian Grenadiers' - Carl Roechling

'Scotland Forever!' - Elizabeth Thompson

'Battle of Tragalgar' - Montague Dawson

'Marshal Vorwaerts!' ( =P )

'Ravnica Forest' - Stephan Martiniere

A toughie, but I'll go with 'Master Transmuter' - Chippy, for now... -_-

... *shrug* there're quite a few that I like... watch this space... maybe...

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
This was on the wall in my Auntie and Uncles house! I grew up admiring it, it was always there! It was also hanging in my secondary school, and I remember seeing it in a few more places, but cannot remember where... Now I am in the RAF!

This I couldn't find as an image, and I couldn't get the one off of the site to work, but this painting is half way up one of the staircases in college hall at RAF Cranwell, and is the only painting that I really looked at everytime I passed it! It marks one of the proudest moments of the organisation I was joining, and therfore part of the achievement was now mine to share and carry forth!

Not your average painting, but I have multiple versions of it in my house! Traditionally set in a town (And my poster form and Mirror are both of that one) this one is set in the country, and I prefer it! It looks like a nice place, and the Toucan is myfavourite advertisement in the world!

Sirron Kcuch

Jan 3, 2012
DeanoTheGod said:
This was on the wall in my Auntie and Uncles house! I grew up admiring it, it was always there! It was also hanging in my secondary school, and I remember seeing it in a few more places, but cannot remember where... Now I am in the RAF!

This I couldn't find as an image, and I couldn't get the one off of the site to work, but this painting is half way up one of the staircases in college hall at RAF Cranwell, and is the only painting that I really looked at everytime I passed it! It marks one of the proudest moments of the organisation I was joining, and therfore part of the achievement was now mine to share and carry forth!

Not your average painting, but I have multiple versions of it in my house! Traditionally set in a town (And my poster form and Mirror are both of that one) this one is set in the country, and I prefer it! It looks like a nice place, and the Toucan is myfavourite advertisement in the world!
I have the second picture as a poster in my bedroom

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Jonluw said:
That is one of the best paintings I've seen so far, brilliant.

OT: I love both of these pictures based off very famous paintings, just panders my fucked up view of whats cool

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/haruhigod.jpg/]
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/codegeasszeroleadingthe.jpg/]

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
My Nana painted this one

I can't really pick just one. so I'll plug her site.

http://www.eleanordriscoll.com/

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Sirron Kcuch said:
DeanoTheGod said:

I have the second picture as a poster in my bedroom
The Tirpitz? That is EPIC! You are truely a man!

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I am rather fond of LeRoy Neiman's Kenya Leopard.

Sure it's a serigraph but I do rather like it.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
YES! It may sound odd, but I've been waiting for a thread like this, actually. There is one painting that I find myself strangely attracted to. It's called: "The Hands Resist Him" by Bill Stoneham.

It's so dark and ominous ... I love it. I first saw it in the game "Scratches: Directors Cut" (that was a good game) and it always stuck with me. I never knew what the name of it was until recently.

Also, I find this one remarkably entrancing, which is weird because I usually prefer a more realistic style, but I like the dark-olives tones in this one.

When you view the picture full screen and listen to this song [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kWo8N4QNXM] in the background ... I don't know. It's just amazing in a strange kind of way.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
There's two pieces of famous art that I like.

and

For Magic the Gathering art I really like Angel of Flight Alabaster from the Innistrad set.
The card itself is pretty sub-par, but the art is amazing.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I can't find the painting, but it's housed in the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg Russia. It's just a black box, a plain painted black box. It was incredibly feared by Stalin, because it wasn't just obvious. It made people think, and he was more terrified of that than anything.

My other is Starry Starry Night, by Vincent van Gogh.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
I'll always love The Metamorphosis of Narcissus by Dali.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cW--1veCXEk/TfdN4RSdHcI/AAAAAAAAAU0/LYSrm-Bczac/s1600/Inspiration+-+Dali+-+Metamorphosis+of+Narcissus.jpg
I'm still not sure if I like him because the things I draw and paint remind me of his work, or if his work influenced my own. I just love me some surrealist symbolism.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Lets be real, you all meant to post some Hans Hartung, but got sidetracked and accidentally mistyped the URL.

When in doubt, abstract.

t51-9

Jan 12, 2012
PunkyMcGee said:
My Nana painted this one

I can't really pick just one. so I'll plug her site.

http://www.eleanordriscoll.com/
She's pretty good. Could use a couple courses in website design, though :)

My favourite is Human Frailty by Salvator Rosa. He painted it during plague of 1655, and it shows the Angel of Death getting ready to carry away his infant son (who he lost, along with a large part of his extended family). I pull it out whenever I hear people talking about how people in the past didn't have the same regard for their children or human life. The words he wrote on the canvas are haunting:
Conceptio culpa
nasci pena
labor vita
necesse mori

conception is sin,
birth is pain
life is toil,
death is inevitable
http://rebeccaknowles.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/galleryangelofdeath8.jpg