Your Favorite Quote?

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
So what is your favorite quotes? What do you think of them and what do you think of mine? Here is a couple from Douglas Adams who states on how we react to technology.

There?s a set of rules that anything that was in the world when you were born is normal and natural. Anything invented between when you were 15 and 35 is new and revolutionary and exciting, and you?ll probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you?re 35 is against the natural order of things.

Newsreaders still feel it is worth a special and rather worrying mention if, for instance, a crime was planned by people ?over the Internet.? They don?t bother to mention when criminals use the telephone or the M4, or discuss their dastardly plans ?over a cup of tea,? though each of these was new and controversial in their day

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Douglas Adams was a smart guy. Far beyond Hitchhiker's Guide, he was most certainly a man who knew how to react and adapt to the world, all while giving it a quirky humorous spin.

Mine aren't anything quite so interesting.

From the film Serenity said:
Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.
KHAAAAAAAAAAN! said:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend. Live long... and prosper.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I have a couple :)

1.) This one is from Walter Mosely's book "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned."

I think it sums up the philosophy of the main Character Socrates Fortlow quite nicely.

The rooster was hoarse in his old age, his crow no more than a whisper, but at least that mother fucker tried

Basically no matter what kind of shit life throws at socrates he's gonna stand back up and keep going.

2.) This one is from Miracle of Sound's "City of Night"

I'm just a number riding solo in the Code
Electric embers will ignite
I'm just another lonely nomad on road
I'm a ghost in the city
I'm a ghost in the City of Night.

I love it because it reminds of a sort of libertarian pythagorean philosophy. Having free will and being a rebel in a mathmatically ordered pythagorean universe. It reminds a bit of a paper my professor wrote.

It proposes a mechanism for Radically free will using quantum mechanics.

http://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1003&context=philosophy_articles

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Final tirade of Agent Smith is probably one of my favorites:
"Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Yes? No? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?"
Pure wonder, confusion, and anger.

Also, Katsumoto from The Last Samurai is just a wealth of amazing quotes:
"I have introduced myself. You have introduced yourself. This is a very good conversation."
"The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life."
"Perfect... They are all... perfect..."

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"The future ain't what it used to be."

"It's like deja-vu all over again."

"I never said most of the things I said."

~Yogi Berra

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant". - Harlan Ellison.

"This is Stannis Baratheon. He will fight until the bitter end and then some". - Tywin Lannister.

"Eat a dick, Thaddeus". - Feel Afraid.

"I'm write letter to Gabe Newell. He say he ban you. He promise. President of Valve". - Somebody who died on TF2.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
"I'm really not the fighting kind of guy y'know?"

Hazama from BlazBlue.

No idea why but I LOVE that quote. Everything out of his mouth is gold but this one in particular sticks with me.

Oh and one random one from Kanji in Persona 4

Kanji: "Man, is just an animal trying to kill time through his days..."

Chie: "Wow. That was like you were being philosophical... But it made absolutely NO SENSE."

Kanji: Uhhh... Sorry.

Yukiko: Snrk *starts breaking down in laughter*

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I've got a few quotes, many of which are exchanges between two comedians on a panel show which, taken out of context, context which requires a lot of explaining, confuse people more than anything else.

However, here are a few others:

The Long Kiss Goodnight - Samantha: SUCK MY DICK!! (while driving an HGV)

Yes, Prime Minister (read last two lines at 200 words per minute) -

Sir Humphrey: With Trident we could obliterate the whole of Eastern Europe.
Hacker: I don't want to obliterate the whole of Eastern Europe.
Sir Humphrey: It's a deterrent.
Hacker: It's a bluff. I probably wouldn't use it.
Sir Humphrey: Yes, but they don't know that you probably wouldn't.
Hacker: They probably do.
Sir Humphrey: Yes, they probably know that you probably wouldn't. But they can't certainly know.
Hacker: They probably certainly know that I probably wouldn't.
Sir Humphrey: Yes, but even though they probably certainly know that you probably wouldn't, they can't certainly know that although you probably wouldn't, there is no probability that you certainly would!

The 300 Spartans - Themistocles of Athens: Truth is a heady wine. A politician must never exaggerate people's capacity for it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
"Losers whine about doing their best,
Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

"Aim for the bushes!"

Quentin Tarantino has several great lines from his movies (none of the above are from his movies thou).

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
Harvey Fierstein

A particular favorite of mine, given that there are certain things you HAVE to be where I live because it's pretty much a requirement.

...Living in the deep southern U.S. can be a bit annoying at times.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
"The only purpose of life, is to give life purpose!"

- Arjen A. Lucassen

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Oh, right, and basically every single quote by Nyx Avatar of Persona 3. A final boss who doesn't mock you, but inspires and teaches.
"The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate...
Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope.
Yet, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...
Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end.
It matters not who you are...Death awaits you."

"You cannot avoid death. To live is to die; they are one in the same?"

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
A lot of Andrew Ryan. "A Worm looks up, and sees the face of god..." and of course the famous opening speech about (as Yahtzee put it) "sweat ownership."

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
"Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience prove you wrong. Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor is naked. The truth and the lie are not 'sort of the same thing'. And there is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life, that can't be improved with pizza."

- Daria Morgendorffer

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." and
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

He saw it coming, but all he warned of happened before I was born. Of all the shitty luck...

MoreThanANoob

Oct 9, 2012
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
~Edgar Allen Poe

I tend to space out a lot during the day.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Boo8er said:
There?s a set of rules that anything that was in the world when you were born is normal and natural. Anything invented between when you were 15 and 35 is new and revolutionary and exciting, and you?ll probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you?re 35 is against the natural order of things.
Your mileage may vary.

OT:
"As soon as men decide that all means are necessary to fight an evil then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."
-Christopher Dawson

"Only 2 things are infinite: the Universe and Human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe."
- Albert Einstein

"I do not feel inclined to believe that the same God that endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo