Your favorite RPG villain?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
AmrasCalmacil said:
Damn you!
Okay, close second.
Sarevok.
Big, scary, he has pretty interesting, though very self-serving, motivations.
He's definitely based on the themes of what little differences can make people into monsters.
And his voice, dear god, the voice.
Sarevok was fantastic as well. Going against the usual stereotypes he wasn't just big strong and more than a little evil but damned smart too; orchestrating political strife and playing different sides against one another to get his way. Very clever! Very Deadly! Very awesome voice indeed!

Irenicus though... ah Irenicus, by the end of the game after some of the things he does you just really want him dead. On one hand you sort of understand what drives him, what made him the way he is, but on the other he's just so damned evil he needs to be put down. That's pretty rare in gaming: A villain both believable and sympathetic as well as just outright villainous and twisted.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
I love Ultros! He's always coming in at the worst possible time. He was overshadowed by Kefka who I also love as a villain but there's something about the bumbling villain archetype that I've always loved.
Oh I forgot Ultros :( XD I loved/hated that guy.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
the spud said:
I had a Kefka avatar for like 6 months I loved him so much. He is by far my favorite. I consider his speech made before the final battle to be among the best in video games, and he has a bitchin' theme song.
and his iconic laugh:
He is truly the greatest.
I agree completely :)

"Life.....hope.....dreams...where do they come from? And where do they go? These things...such meaningless things...I'LL DESTROY THEM ALL!"

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Kimarous said:
Sun Li from "Jade Empire". There is a REASON why this guy is called the Glorious Strategist, and does he ever earn it.
This, this, and totally this!! Seriously, this ************ planned for nearly everything! I think Saren from the original Mass Effect comes in a close second though.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Kimarous said:
Sun Li from "Jade Empire". There is a REASON why this guy is called the Glorious Strategist, and does he ever earn it.
This, this, and totally this!! Seriously, this ************ planned for nearly everything! I think Saren from the original Mass Effect comes in a close second though.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Princess Rose said:
renegade7 said:
What are your favorite villains from any RPGs?

Mine are Alex, Kefka, Emperor Palamecia, Golbez, and Giovanni.
Krellian from Xenogears.

He's smart, he's an embittered good guy gone dark, and he manipulates the other big bads of the game into doing exactly what he wants them to. ^^

Also, he's pretty hot.
I just finished playing Xenogears on my PSP and Krellian is definitely underrated. To get him you also have to understand exactly what's going on right up to the end which can be a challenge for many!

Generally though for me it comes down to East vs West and is between Luca Blight and Jon Irenicus. And while I haven't read the second page I'm impressed their aren't a bunch of "Sephiroth!!!" answers. Kefka is a close 3rd, falls a little because as RPG's went back in those days he wasn't characterized as much.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Louzon said:
SilverJin02 said:
Curse me for saying it, but I'll just start by saying Kefka's a failure in my eyes. Yes, he achieved godhood. And then STILL failed. And he's a clown. CLOOOWN.
Uh...pretty sure ALL villains fail in the end. If not, RPGs wouldn't be too fun to play, because none of them would be winnable. :)

For my pick, I pick Saturo, Menardi, and Alex from the Golden Sun series.
Dammit, I was gonna pick Alex!

Well, how about Lyon from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. He was pretty cool. Was once one of the nicest and most gentle characters, and tried to save people but the power that he obtained controlled him. He still fought it to the very end.

Probably better villains out there, but it's midnight and my brain has been turned off for 3 hours...

Edit: Oh, and I have to put a vote in for Darth Revan. He's just badass.

In fact, HERE's A PIC!!!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I am very fond of The Transcendent One, not so much the character but what The Transcendent One actually is.

Really though it all comes down to her...it will always, always be her...
Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Access Network

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
Does Bowser in the Paper Mario series count? Cause he is hilarious in that series, and they are some of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
If she counts, Flemeth from Dragon Age.

I love dat old *****.
Oh, I know exactly what you mean, Zero. She's like the terrifying evil witch grandmother I never had.

OT: The entirety of the Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion. Lucien Lachance and his sexy sexy voice if we wanna get specific here. It will never cease to amaze me that the most friendly group in Oblivion is the "evil" one. All of the others were incredibly rude and douche-y for no good reason. Such douchiness may or may not have incited the killing spree that led to my joining the DB.

MidnightSt

Sep 9, 2011
Ravel Puzzlewell, if she counts.
A villain with heart and soul, you don't see that so often.
(But then again, every NPC in PT had heart and soul)

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
octafish said:
SHODAN is easily my favourite game antagonist out there, that said despite having leveling and class mechanics I don't generally think of System Shock 2 as an actual rpg.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
octafish said:
Thank you. I'm surprised no one mentioned her earlier. SHODAN is an absolute gem amongst gaming villains.