Your favorite strategy games I might not have heard of.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Knights of Honor.

It plays like Total War, but has far more streamlined game-play because it isn't in 3D, but uses an isometric 2D view. Your units won't have the pathfinding problems or walk clunkily due to 3D collision.

Simplicity wins in this game.

Really, I play it every now and then, in fact.

As Jerusalem in 1200 (So called High period) with some "religious fanatic" challenges that I've restricted myself to. I may not enter any agreements other than a white peace (truce) with nations of other religions, nor may I ever marry my princes or princesses to those nations.

So far so good. I've had different parts of northern Africa on my tail and I have been holding my stance against the different nations that split after Byzantine fell. (Epir, Nicea and Trebizond)

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
enzilewulf said:
Hylke Langhout said:
enzilewulf said:
Age of Empires 3 (Or two they both are good).
Age of Empires 3 was really good. I liked playing as the Ottomans and the Dutch myself. The expansions were pretty kickass as well. Especially the second one.
Thank god I am not the only one who sees how kick ass the dutch are.
Part of the reason why I usually used the Dutch was because I am Dutch myself. I only wished they used a bit more inspired voice acting, but otherwise it's a great faction to play.
Well then can I ask what the explorer is saying when you tell him to kill something? He like yells AAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKK.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I haven't really enjoyed the more recent RTS games. I like C&C Generals, Dungeon Keeper 2, Warcraft3 etc. But my favorite RTS is MegaLoMania, it's old but should be easy to emulate, one of the very first strategy and resource management games with an actual personality.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
enzilewulf said:
Well then can I ask what the explorer is saying when you tell him to kill something? He like yells AAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKK.
He yells "AANVALLEN!", Dutch for "ATTACK!".

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
enzilewulf said:
GundamSentinel said:
enzilewulf said:
Hylke Langhout said:
enzilewulf said:
Age of Empires 3 (Or two they both are good).
Age of Empires 3 was really good. I liked playing as the Ottomans and the Dutch myself. The expansions were pretty kickass as well. Especially the second one.
Thank god I am not the only one who sees how kick ass the dutch are.
Part of the reason why I usually used the Dutch was because I am Dutch myself. I only wished they used a bit more inspired voice acting, but otherwise it's a great faction to play.
He yells "AANVALLEN!" It means "attack". I'm Dutch too you see

Ocealot

Aug 3, 2011
Dam there was one that I played and enjoyed that you may not of heard however I.ve forgot the name ... so I will explain what I can remeber. You play as one of 3 teams Romans, geeks and egytains and it was a basic rts but you could actually control you leaders 3rd person. What made this good was I remeber having a roman armarda landing on an egytain island and as my roman army unboarded their boats we were swarmed by a volley of arrows and for me it worked.

So yea check it out if you know the name of the game and I will get back to you if I find out the title.

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
cWg | Konka said:
red alert 2 was the best rts ive everplayed by a long way
Yeah, nostalgia, sweet nostalgia. I played it before I was ten and I have really good memories of it. Red Alert 3 just wasn't as good, suppose it was because EA dissolved Westwood Studios and made it themselves. Bastards! Also, there is no chance you havn't heard of it but Starcraft 2. Damn that game is amazing, I feel like playing some right now in fact. But It's late and I have to go to sleep :(

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
The Paradox games, Rome/Crusader Kings/Europa Universalis/Victoria/Hearts of Iron, are great games.
Choose any country and do what ever you want with it you can even change your country when ever you want. You can do all kinds of odd things.
Like this:
<spoiler=Prussian Germany vs German Prussia>http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/Nihtantuel/V2_2-1.jpg
Or this:
<spoiler=Germany vs Prussia vs Austria>http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l638/customer0012/V2_1.jpg
Or:
<spoiler=Norther CSA vs Souther Kingdom of America>http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l638/customer0012/V2_1-1.jpg

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Spellforce 1 and the expansions are absolutely awesome single player campaign games and quite challenging. Spellforce 2 however is pretty bad and stupid.

Starcraft 2 for multiplayers rts, Why? because the gameplay is fast for a rts so not so much boredom. Most well balanced rts there is cept for starcraft1 cause all the other devs really dont care a day after release.

Ocealot

Aug 3, 2011
I found the name. It's called Rise and Fall Civilization at war check it out I really enjoyed it!

Veteran

Jan 3, 2008
Rex Dark said:
Warzone 2100
This.

A post-apocalyptic RTS where you can design your own tanks and V.T.O.L.s? Was epic back in the day, been playing through it recently and it's still a good game. graphics are a bit dated though.
Loved your encounters with the various enemies as well, The New Paradigm were a bit of a shock after fighting raiders for a few missions.

Also - Supreme commander (and Forged Alliance), Homeworld, Homeworld 2, Sword of the Stars (and all of it's expansions) and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Total War: Empire at WarShogun 2: Total War
Company of Heroes + exp packs
LoTR: The Battle for Middle Earth 1 + 2+exp

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
Majesty 2 taking your standard DnD roleplay mechanics and transmuting them into a witty god sim thingy.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
Rome Total War (the only other Total War game I've played is Medieval 2...and the units just seem much, much more useless).

Why? Because it's amazing. I love conquering lands in the turn based portion of the game, and I love having to actually think of how I should move and use my units.
Rome Total War is really quite well known, isn't it? Either way, a TRIUMPH of a game. The total war series just got worse, and Empire Total War is ABYSMAL. (Shogun 2 is fantastic to be fair, however the fucking hour long loading times - and when I say hour, I actually only mean about 15-20 minutes - let it down)

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
One of my 'unknown' favorites is Master of Magic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Magic

It's a 4X game, but it has some unique elements with its magic system and tactical battles. It has a lot of replayability due to its customization options and can be very hard on higher levels.
It also looks very ugly, I'd say it was even fairly ugly for its time which is a bit of a turnoff.

There is a newer game series called "Age of Wonders" that uses an almost identical ruleset and looks much prettier. Personally I think it plays very different due to having scenarios linked together to form a campaign. One of the great things about Master of Magic was the randomized maps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders

MoM is available from GoG and AoW can be bought at Steam.

thetruefallen

Mar 12, 2008
Total Annihilation 1 with the expansion packs. If you can find it and not care about the graphics being from 1997. i can still honestly play it for hours at a time. the gameplay still holds up.

zuro64

Aug 20, 2009
I my self play rts a bit so here are the one's that i like:

Company of Heroes + exp (the most realistic rts in my opinion:)
Star Wars: Empire at War (i only like the spacebattles in it:p)
Rise of Nations (You pick a country and follow them in there quest for world dominans from the stone age to modern day, kinda cool but a bit hard at first to learn)

Games you must have heard but are good non the less:

Starcraft + exp and Starcraft 2
Red Alert 1 and 2 (the third was horrible in my opinion)
C&C Generals
C&C 3 Tiberium Wars + exp

Games i've heard are good but havent tested yet:

World in Conflict + exp
Supreme Commander 1 and 2