Your Favorite Superhero Games or Superhero Games of All Time? (All Superhero Games Discussion)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Does not have to be based on a licensed comic book nor cartoon, but all are welcome. Feel free to discuss superhero games that are underrated or don't get enough attention in your eyes.

Mine are Viewtiful Joe and Miles Morales (PS4/PS5). You already got enough from my views on MM, but to keep it short, it has everything I like about these types of games. Combat, pacing, side activities, making the player powerful, heroic, and yet still be "human/humane". I love how Miles interacts with other characters in the world, and the same goes vice versa.

VJ has similar traits, but he's the goofy show off you love. Even with those traits, he's someone who was inspired to become a hero, because he's already a big fan of superhero movies. While he can be a goofy dork, Joe can get serious and shows he has heart and cares about the people around him. Dude has got cool power too. Can slow down time, speed himself to go crazy fast, can zoom the camera to makes his attacks twice as powerful, and will always be stylish and moving even when Joe takes a hit. You got to admire the dedication to look cool and heroic.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Prototype. Prototype 2 was a misstep, but if anyone were to make a third one more in line tonally with the first game on today's hardware? It'd be enough for me to buy one of the new consoles. That, or a new Splinter Cell; I'd kill a child with my bare hands in front of their parents for a new Splinter Cell. (And if this post puts me on government watch lists, that last statement was hyperbole.) ((But is Ubisoft is reading this... I WILL do it.))

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Spider-Man for the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox. As in, the adaptation of Rami's first Spider-Man film.

...yeah, I've never really been into superhero games, or even superheroes at all until really recently (thanks to stuff like the DCEU and MCU sort of demanding that I get with the times). But, had a fair bit of fun with it. Replayed its levels...or at least most of them...numerous times, so, yeah.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shout outs to Comix Zone. Not my favorite game, nor would I want to play it again, but Sega Tech Institutes pulled out all the stops to make their best game. You are literally playing comic book game. Comix Zone inspired other games like Viewtiful Joe and Comic Jumper.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Eh, probably Gravity Rush 1 for the PS4. Sequel is mediocre. Haven't played many superhero games outside of the Arkham series.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Batman Arkham Knight.

Yes, the mandatory batmobile/tank sections were tad bit ridiculous, and the arkham knight identity reveal was predictable, but I enjoyed hell out of the rest of the game. Moving around the Gotham was great, as I never have seen fully explorable Gotham in any past batman games before this. The combat? So fucking hood. The music and atmosphere? Out of this world. But best part for me were the joker hallucinations. I think this was a brillant idea, as not only do we get to see Mark Hamil's joker once again, but it explore's batman's psyche of not really forgetting Joker, and learning to do so.

Infamous: Second Son

I actually live very close to Seattle downtown, so it was a bit surreal to see all the recognizable places in the game, now with military occupation. I liked Delsin's story transition of wayward delinquent to hero in the time of need. Powers, while identical, were fun to use. I'm pretty sure Neon was my favorite power.

Injustice 2

Strong story, solid voice cast (George Newbern, Kevin Conroy, susan eisenberg, etc), and probably the only recent fighting game that I liked. Althoughmy time withthe matchmaking was short, I love how the devs tried to make the matchups "canon" by having multiverse exist in the game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll give mentions to Quantum Break and Vanquish. QB ain't close to my favorite, but I do enjoy the superhero origin story involving time manipulation. Vanquish on the other hand is stand out favorite. The game is the 3rd person shooter equivalent of Neo Human Casshern. and I can't get enough of the game. All options you can do, turns the player character into an anime superhero.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The back of Evil West's box considers Jesse to be a Wild West superhero. Hmmmm...I agree!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Batman Arkham City is my all time favorite super hero game but I'll give a shout out to the most surprising fun super hero game I've ever played. This one got a 61/100 at Metacritic. It is a poor man's Batman. They would make entire puzzles for you to solve out of Cap getting from one side of a room to another. Batman in A.C.? He pretty much went where he pleased, as long as it wasn't part of the game that he shouldn't go to a place. But bashing a Nazi with that shield? Never stops being satisfying.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Can I submit Saints Row 4? Because Saints Row 4 feels like a superhero game. To a lesser extent, The Trouble with Clones DLC in Saints Row 3 has a bit where you drink a "radioactive energy drink" to chase after a hulk clone of Johnny Gat who keeps tearing shit up and you temporarily get superpowers(complete with classic batman "Biff" and "pow" effects when you punch people).

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yes. Saints Row 4 is basically Prototype 3 and Crackdown 3 in terms of similar gameplay mechanics and powers.
I'd totally forgotten about prototype(never played crackdown) but now that you mention it I remember those games being mentioned in conjunction(and the prototype one fits).

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
Spiderman 2 for the PS2 and Arkham City

I'm also a big Viewtiful fan, but never got gut enough at it to consider it among my all time favs (sadly)

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Captain Commando and Battle Circuit are good and great superhero brawlers respectively. Try them out, if you have not already.

Reactions: Gatuno

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
Captain Commando and Battle Circuit are good and great superhero brawlers respectively. Try them out, if you have not already.
I'm familiar with and like Captain Commando, though I wouldn't include any brawler into my "Favorite of whatever..." lists since it's among my least played genres... I got reservations even for the brawlers starring Batman haha

Reactions: Gatuno

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wouldn't include any brawler into my "Favorite of whatever..." lists since it's among my least played genres...
We all have our least favorites and there is nothing wrong with that. Though don't count this game out until you try it.

I got reservations even for the brawlers starring Batman haha
Unless you're playing Arkham Origins, Arkham Knight, Gotham Knights, Batman Forever Arcade, and most of the Bat games from the PS1 and PS2 days, you have nothing to worry about. Origins wasn't that bad, but was glitchy on consoles and only becomes less of an issue, if playing on the XONE or Series X. Knights is love it or hate it territory, but the PC port sucked big at the time. Nowadays, people are loving it either because of The Batman or because GK is so much worse. Most of the 2D Batman brawlers are between decent and good. Brave and the Bold is good on both Wii and DS, but the former especially is too easy.

Another superhero brawler I recommend is Zero Team. It does not have the deepest combo system, but what's there is fun, and better than most Final Fight (the series own sequels included) clones and nearly all the brawlers SNK had back in the 90s.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
haven't played all of the Batman brawlers, but I remember loving Batman Returns on SNES.
That's what usually most older gamers reference when it comes to Batman brawlers. It's a good game, though I definitely felt certain people (Screw Attack) on the internet overhyped the game back in the mid to late 2000s. The game definitely could have handled a two player mode. There's also the NES version of Batman Returns. That's pretty decent as well.

I'm not familiar with Zero Team, though it seems cool on the vid :)
I wouldn't expect you to. Even for the '90s, this is an obscure brawler that was made by developers who normally did SHMUPs. I vaguely remember playing it at an old arcade once when I was about 7 or 8. The game is available under the Arcade Archives on all platforms.

Last edited:
Reactions: mirbrownbread