Your Favorite Tower Defense game

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
so with Gratuitous Tank Battles being released and me wanting to buy it I've been playing a lot more Tower Defense games
so my question to you guys is: What's your favorite tower defense game?

Mine has got to be Toy Soldiers it was really fun and some levels got pretty challenging (like polygon woods for example) and it was actually pretty funny (especially the Commando in Cold War)

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Tower Defense is one genre I've never been able to really get into. They're kind of fun for a little while, but they all reach a point where I just can't keep up and stay on top of everything.

Plants vs. Zombies was pretty fun, but I wound up consulting a walkthrough for a lot of it (in terms of which things to place where.)

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'm really fond of a little online game called Gemcraft: Labyrinth myself

Haasth

Sep 20, 2011
Although I certainly am far from the biggest tower defense player, I really do like Dungeon Defenders now with their latest DLC hero addition, the summoner. (Preview video for those interested) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCbIh7825d0]

But that is in large part due to the semi-RPG elements it has and now the little strategy aspects with the Summoner.

Tower Defense that I really enjoyed the most has got to be stuff like Warcraft 3 custom games.. if only I could remember the names of those modes. Those I wasted way too much time into.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
Aeshi said:
Gemcraft is a solid tower defense game and there are several of them out now.

I love the tower defense games that don't rely solely on the tower defense mechanic.

Dungeon Defenders is a great RPG/Tower Defense game, And Sanctum is a fun FPS/Tower Defense game. Although if I had to suggest just one I'd say Dungeon Defenders is my favorite.

Defense grid is also fairly entertaining although it is completely a tower defense game. My fondest memories are probably of the Starcraft Tower defense maps.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Orcs Must Die was a surprisingly fun little title.

The level design got rather frustrating at times though. Having to run back and forth between three or more tunnels is not a good time.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Its not pure tower defense but Im gonna go with Dungeon defenders. Its just a ton of fun and I never felt like the level design was bad or frustrating

For pure tower defense games, Im gonna go with plants vs zombies. I just love the aesthetic and humor

TechnoRaven

Mar 10, 2012
Its tied between three.

Orcs must Die, Dungeon Defenders, and Gratuitous Tank Battles.

If you haven't tried GTB you should, its great.

Other then that, TD games bore me.

Paulo Belato

May 26, 2012
I would go with Sanctum and Protector, the second you can play for free on Kongregate or ArmorGames. If you are going to play Sanctum, do it with a friend; discussing strategies and shooting badies with someone else makes for a much better experience.

The protector is a somewhat old TD series that mixes RPG (heroes, leveling up, stores, etc) with TD. Each game in the series adds something new, so you should try all of them to see which one you like the most.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Bloons tower defence was fun. I unlocked all the towers, got to level 40 or something, aced all the missions etc. It was a free flash game too, which was nice. Other than that, I guess Gemcraft (the first one) was fun, if a little boring and soooooooo long. Also The Space Game, if that counts as a TD (also got elements of base control). Finally, Bubble Tanks TD was fun, with all the different towers, seriously, there were hundreds of different types.
All of these are free to play flash games on kongregate if anyone wants to try them.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Orcs Must Die was great fun. I haven't played many tower defence games, but OMD stood out.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
Dungeon Defenders is awesome, especially when you go for multiplayer.

For solo play, it's pretty fun but I think Plants vs Zombies might edge it. It's close though.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Crystal Defenders was fun, although I had to use a guide to get the trophies. A friend wanted to use his mathematics degree in order to come up with some formula for the proper placement of solders. I told him to pick spots where your soldiers can get to two or more lengths of road and start from there.

Most of the time, I play Plants versus Zombies.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
Aeshi said:
this. i'm looking forward to the next chapter. i also like PvZ, but is that really considered a tower defense game? i could be mistaken but i thought it was part of a different genre, or at least a subgenre.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Xeno Tactics 1.5. The final area is pretty much unbeatable. But its still fun to be able to get to wave 99 and watch it all burn.
Orcs must die was fun, but got old really fast
Plants vs Zombies is good, i still enjoy it