Your favorite underappreciated games...

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Dues Ex Invisable War. why did people hate it? its my fave game next to baldures gate. OK so the AI has trouble walking around corners and think dead bodys are the normal, but hay thats justy funny.

Nov 15, 2007
Abbadiel said:
Sanitarium...
Seconded. During my first year of college my roommate bought this game, but I promptly stole it, and most of the time it was in my computer rather than his.

Jade Empire seems to be Bioware's least appreciated RPG, but I really enjoyed it.

KurtDunn

Jan 16, 2008
Battlezone was by far the most fun I've ever had in FPS or RTS gaming.

If it got better publicity (like not being called Battlezone [who the hell buys remakes?], for one), and better post-launch support/patching/tweaking, I think people would be running Windows 98 systems explicitly to play that game today.

Ros Lai

Dec 14, 2007
Marathon, Psychonauts, Battlezone (The PC FPSRTS version, not the Atari one), Indigo Prophecy, and System Shock 2.

HSIAMetalKing said:
Armored Core 4-- I lurved that game, and was hoping to enjoy zillions of hours of frantic online robot-on-robot action. But no one plays online, so my awesome AC and I are all alone.
Oh hey, another Armored Core player! Gimme your Gamertag (Mine's VT 316), we should set up a match sometime.

Anarchemitis said:
Star Wars Battlefront
Red Alert 2
Any Sim City Game that isn't Societys or 4.
I love Battlefront too, but RA2 and the simcity games never seemed especially underappreciated.

Dectilon said:
Star Control 2 ~~

It's freeware as The Ur-Quan Masters now. It's a sort of adventure game with fighting gameish battles. Each ship has a different way of fighting, and you only fight one enemy ship at a time. If there are several ships you fight them consecutively.
YES

Star Control 2 is sheer awesomeness. Especially the Spathi.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Three games come to mind....

Myst
A-fricken-mazing. Everyone hates it because if they go without viciously killing something for eight nanoseconds their balls will explode. It's a great game, think of it like you were ACTUALLY there. Then you might want to play.
Supreme Commander
Best RTS EVER! I seem to be alone in that assumption.
Battlefield 2142
great multiplayer, but everyone that plays is either a grizzled Battlefield 2 vet or a total noob. Is there something in between??

Ros Lai

Dec 14, 2007
greygelgoog said:
josh797 said:
Anton P. Nym said:
Off the top of my head...

Psychonauts wasn't underrated, but I guess it comes in as underappreciated due to its sales. Hopefully it'll get a renaissance with the XBox Classics thing.

Marathon, as it's largely forgotten outside of Mac and die-hard fan circles. A bit dusty, but still a fun shooter even on low-grade hardware and the storyline is great. It's got a freeware version now, too, that works on PC as well as Mac... pity so few know about that.

-- Steve

where can i get that freeware, im interested in playing it.
The freeware version is at http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/
A port of Marathon 2 is also available for download for the XBox 360, but for me personally the controls just don't feel right. And it's not free.
Actually, go to source.bungie.org/get/. It's easy sauce to set up, the page it's on has some cool extras, and it only takes a minute to download.

KurtDunn said:
Battlezone was by far the most fun I've ever had in FPS or RTS gaming.

If it got better publicity (like not being called Battlezone [who the hell buys remakes?], for one), and better post-launch support/patching/tweaking, I think people would be running Windows 98 systems explicitly to play that game today.
Actually, with a few fanmade patches, it's quite easy to run on XP. I highly recommend this game to anyone willing to track down a copy.

sumanai

Jan 17, 2008
System Shock - CD-version, haven't played a lot, since I don't get it working. Got great reviews, sold poorly. Overshadowed, in my opinion wrongly, by the sequel.
Eternal Darkness - great at screwing with the players head, assuming you get immersed. Also got great reviews, don't know if this is really underappreciated.
Blood - great, and interesting, use of music from the CD in the game. From what I remember got slag from most people.
Postal 2 - great stress relief. Also first non-stealth FPS I played where: The platformer section didn't piss me off, NPCs from hostile groups didn't instantly recognise you in different clothing, hostile NPCs didn't always know where exactly you were, police didn't magically know when you committed a crime, NPCs stopped to talk nonsensically with each other and fire actually looked good. Got a huge amount of flak from pretty much everyone, about everything. Not completely unjustifiably.

ZenMonkey47

Jan 10, 2008
Rune - had some great lan parties around this guy. I mean what other games can you cut off the limb of the opposing player and beat them to death with it?

Sim Ant - Epic battles in your kitchen

niko86

Dec 5, 2007
dylansavage said:
the LBA seires were weird and wonderful...

wonder if theyll make another 1?
"Urrr hows it going?" I love the Little Big Adventure series. Don't think i've enjoyed a french game so much as these. No offence to the french, it was just so quirky and fun. I wonder about that grobo who was in the cinema waiting for the new star wars films, what did he think of them after waiting what 5 years in that cinema lol.

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
Rogue Trooper (2006). An FPS that was unfairly drowned in a sea of FPSs released at the time. A franchise based on a British comic character from 2000AD.

Mister Shades

Jul 10, 2008
Operation Flashpoint - Released a whole year before Battlefield 1942, but offered vastly bigger (100's km2) maps, far more vehicles and a fantastic story. Also used by the US army as a simulator to train troops.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
XIII
really? no, no one, no one mentioned these games?...well...then, too the pain good sirs!

Mister Shades

Jul 10, 2008
the monopoly guy said:
XIII!! I did love that game when it came out, but I have to be frank, I felt it got a bit boring towards the end, as once you stopped noticing the cel-shaded graphics, it was just another PFS :(