Your favourite cheesy, campy and silly movie?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
My toe is better for those who advised me. Toe injuries are hell.

Hey? Come over here?

*looks around*

What's your favourite cheesy, silly, ridiculously stupid and campy movie? The movie that has you turning your brain off of all logic and enjoy the fucked up madness, stupid genious and guilty pleasures. You can have more than one and yes they can be from SyFy (formally SciFi Channel).

Eight Legged Freaks: If you have arachnophobia, its best to stay away but you love movie cliches, silly animal fights, smart spiders, lonely small towns and a movie that doesn't know if its meant to be a comedy or whatever, please go nuts. The CGI holds up... kinda.

Mega... You know what, just watch this.

Don't even try to explain it. Science does not exist in this movie.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Escape From New York - it has probably the cheesiest, wackiest dystopia you'll ever see in an adventure movie. Not to mention it's directed by John Carpenter, so there's his trademark synth soundtrack present to deepen the experience. And one more thing - just call me Snake.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Parasondox said:
Eight Legged Freaks: If you have arachnophobia, its best to stay away but you love movie cliches, silly animal fights, smart spiders, lonely small towns and a movie that doesn't know if its meant to be a comedy or whatever, please go nuts. The CGI holds up... kinda.
Oh god, I remember that movie. The scene where the spiders drag people into the sewers scared the shit out of me as a kid.

I have to admire the self-awareness; the motorcycle scenes were hilarious.

OT: Maximum Overdrive. It's a stupid movie and it knows it. I love tounge-in-cheek media.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Took me a while to remember the name of this movie, but I finally got it.

The cheesiest fantasy meets modern times movie with terrible CGI, but god damnit it was a blast to watch. Wonder if Netflix still has it?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I've got two but I'm not sure if they count because they are intentionally being campy for the sake of satire...

Well I'm going with it anyway and there's nothing you can do to stop me! Ha ha haaaaa!!!!

Cabin in the Woods
One of my favorite movies as it takes the stereotypes of horror and puts them on their head. The characters all act like real people until they actually get to the cabin when they begin acting like the normal horror tropes (jock, slutty chick, stoner, etc.) until eventually, they find out WHY they're acting that way and what's going on (which I won't talk about since if you haven't seen this and know nothing about it somehow, good, that's the best way to go in. If you love horror movies, this is a movie you should check out).

Army of Darkness
Another horror(ish) satire. This one involving our chainsaw handed hero and greatest man ever Bruce Campbell as he and his car get transported to medieval times. Shenanigans happen and hilarity ensues. This one is a bit older and the age shows but this is one of the more entertaining horror(ish) movies you can find.

EDIT: Hipster below has reminded me (foolish tippy2k2!) about the awesome movie that is Shoot'em Up. I second his opinion (and I would also add the similar Crank and Crank 2 when it comes to "Fuck physics, I'm just going to shoot my problems away")

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
ninja666 said:
Escape From New York - it has probably the cheesiest, wackiest dystopia you'll ever see in an adventure movie. Not to mention it's directed by John Carpenter, so there's his trademark synth soundtrack present to deepen the experience. And one more thing - just call me Snake.
By some strange coincidence, I just watched that movie for the first time a few hours ago. It's so 80's. I love it. Do you happen to know any movies in a similar vein? I tried googling it, but couldn't really find much. I've seen most of the big 80's action movies already, but this movie was made on a tiny budget after all, so maybe there are some others? And one more thing.

The name's Plissken.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Fat_Hippo said:
By some strange coincidence, I just watched that movie for the first time a few hours ago. It's so 80's. I love it. Do you happen to know any movies in a similar vein? I tried googling it, but couldn't really find much. I've seen most of the big 80's action movies already, but this movie was made on a tiny budget after all, so maybe there are some others? And one more thing.

The name's Plissken.
Well, I got this movie recommended when I was looking for something similar to the Mad Max trilogy, so you can start there if you haven't seen them already. There's also a sequel called Escape from LA, if you want more Snake.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Shoot 'Em Up.

The best movie of Clive Owen's career and I won't have anyone tell me otherwise.

Sure the physics don't work, but you know what? Fuck you, rule of cool. You've got shoot outs in buildings, shoot outs in cars, shoot outs while sky diving, shoot outs while having sex. All the shoot outs!

This movie is silly and and stupid and utterly radical and I love it.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
ninja666 said:
Fat_Hippo said:

The name's Plissken.
Well, I got this movie recommended when I was looking for something similar to the Mad Max trilogy, so you can start there if you haven't seen them already. There's also a sequel called Escape from LA, if you want more Snake.
I've read Escape from LA is really terrible, so I'm not sure if I want to watch it or not. I've seen Mad Max 1 & 2, is the third movie worth a shot?
Dirty Hipsters said:
Shoot 'Em Up.

The best movie of Clive Owen's career and I won't have anyone tell me otherwise.

Sure the physics don't work, but you know what? Fuck you, rule of cool. You've got shoot outs in buildings, shoot outs in cars, shoot outs while sky diving, shoot outs while having sex. All the shoot outs!

This movie is silly and and stupid and utterly radical and I love it.
Also absolutely fantastic. I don't think I've seen this many creative gunfights in a single movie before or since.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Fat_Hippo said:
I've seen Mad Max 1 & 2, is the third movie worth a shot?
Yep. It's not as good as Mad Max 2 by any means, but it's still a solid watch.

EDIT: You might also want to watch The Expendables 1, 2 and 3. They're modern films, but the 80s feel is strong with these ones, for pretty obvious reasons (I mean, just look at the poster).

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
In the "I can't believe I never saw that one before" category of 2015: Russ Meyer's "Wild Gals of the Naked West". You can find it on YouTube if you want. Warning: slightly NSFW (there's some nudity) and totally NSFBrain.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Probably "The Last Action Hero" for me due to how much of a parody of action heroes cliche it can be.

I may edit this tomorrow if I can think of anymore.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
The Fifth Element, it's just a great movie that doesn't take itself all that seriously. Although I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I'd say cabin in the woods but that would be cheating.

So sharknado and especially sharknado 2: the sequel . I usually don't watch movies like those but holy hell was that a fun ride.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Wizards. 70's animated movie about fairy creatures living in a post-apocalyptic world. Sort of adult humor throughout. Nice voice acting. Most non-sequitur and absolutely hilarious ending possible. I think it's free on YouTube...

Yeah, found it. Not even that long, definitely worth your time, if only for being an hour-and-a-half long set up for the most slapstick joke possible.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I've got to mirror Shoot Em Up. It feels like director said "I'm going to delve into the minds of batshit adolescents, pull out everything I can about guns, and string it together into crazy fun! Also I'm going to make someone get killed with a carrot because why not?" And god damn it he succeeded.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
The undertaker and his pals: the local diner and funeral home team up to get meat for the former and bodies for the latter. Everyone is an idiot, the diner scenes are a mish mash of physical comedy and groan inducing puns and it's just glorious. It's plot is no winner but it knows that and just revels in how goofy things get.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
What, no Pitch Perfect?

It's pretty darn silly but it's one of my favourite movies so far.

I also agree with most of the movies posted above. Cheesy action films are great too.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I don't know to what degree it qualifies as cheese or camp specifically, but I always had a soft spot for the movie "Clue".