Your favourite game moment?

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
As you climb the snowy mountain, into the heart of the blizzard. You lose your scarf, the winds threaten to bury you in the drifts. The sound washes out and the clouds open up into the very heavens themselves as you collapse. Fade to white.

The thing that impacts me the most is that the game could have ended there... and I woulda been fine with that. Not all journeys reach their destination. I woulda killed the writers if any other story would have ended at its nadir, but this? Nope. And so it sticks with me.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
ghostrider409895 said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Favourite? I have to choose? D:

Aww poop... Well I'll give you my top 3. That's as far as I can narrow it down.

In no particular order,

I don't why exactly I love this one so much exactly, but it was exactly the cathartic ending you needing after doing all the quests for them. It was dark and bittersweet and sad, but at the same time hopeful and optimistic. I first saw it while playing as a kid, but it only got more impactful as I grew up.
I have to agree with you on this one. When I played this (and this was literally my second console game ever after Spider-Man: The Movie) when I was young, I didn't get as much out of it, but even then when I actually reached the full conclusion I could feel something.

Not only is there a lot more work involved in doing this mission, but as I played it was interesting to see how this strange boy you see put a letter in a box on the first day is really a man wanting to be married. He hasn't given up, and he is trying to still get back the his marriage mask. His finance is still hopeful for him, and even if the central town will certainly be destroyed by the moon she will not leave if she might get to see him. When they finally do get together, even though Kafei is a kid, even though they will be destroyed, they still embrace because they are together. I thought it was really fitting that the last part of the ending cinematic was them betting married.

Of some really memorable events and parts of all the Zelda games, I really did feel just this side mission was special.
Not to mention you can only really complete the side mission fully towards the end of the game :)

Its not just a one off thing. It feels like it THE side quest. You do it alongside the main quest the whole game, and all that work pays off in a big way :)

More so than had it been completable right from the start.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
It is hard to pick one, you know?
My favorites are:

1. In Final Fantasy X, when you come on the Airship to stop the Wedding, you slide on the metal ropes to the church and start plowing your way to Yuna. Also, ending (I cried, dammit!)

2. In persona 4, the Kings game.

3. Most of the gag reels in Blazblue, especially this:

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
The number one moment for me was the opening of Super Mario 64 the first time I played it.

Mario jumps out of the green pipe, lands on the ground, and the camera spins around to reveal the front of Peach's Castle. Then you take over. So, to be fair, I'd say it's that scene and the next three or four minutes after that. It's such a wonderful moment. No violence. No drama. Nothing but a picturesque scene and the feeling of awe that comes with a playground unlike anything you've ever had before.

Close second would be walking out of the sewers in Oblivion for the first time. That awe-struck moment when you realise that the entire game looks even better than the dungeon you just escaped from, and it's bigger than anything you could ever hope for. Truly awe-inspiring stuff.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
My first time hearing the song "Cornered" in a Phoenix Wright case. When I bought the game on the app store, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was even a little worried that it would bore me. I was so wrong, and hearing that song for the first time marked the turning point where I realized how wrong I was. That song still gives me chills, sometimes.

DragonKhan95

Oct 3, 2012
Fable 2. Warning Massive Spoilers for Fable 2 coming up

In the first 5 minutes of the game, you meet a dog. He is a mutt, nothing special. You save him from a bully called Rex.
He is sweet, and helps you find some warrants.

Later he tries in vain to warn you about Lucien's guards.

He stays with you growing up untill the day you leave the Gypsy camp.

He stays with you through thick and thin, finding treasure, impressing friends with his tricks. 'Cheers' you on when you fighting in the crucible, and is there when you leave.

After ten years, he is there at the docks waiting for your return, still happy to see you.

He save your life in Wraithmarsh and wades through that evil swamp with you.

At the final moments on the top of Hero Hill, he attempts to save you by giving up his.

It was so sad. I went on to complete the game and all the other side quests, bought all property in the game, stuff like that.

I then returned to top of Hero Hill a while later, for nostalgia purposes. And on that hill top was a grave. A grave for that dog.

That right there was my favourite gaming moment, and it was heartbreaking.

ninjarafter

Jun 11, 2013
I'm going to go with a gameplay moment since I have tons of pre-determined cutscene moments(or dialogues) which I love.

In STALKER(the first one), I love those little moments, where after you've cleared one of those horrifying, dark, oppressive, depressing underground labs full of mutants, you finally reach the surface and go to the nearest camp, or fire and the Stalkers there are playing the guitar, or telling jokes, or creepy stories about The Zone. There's just something about that moment, where all the tension leaves you and you get back to relative normalcy that is just superb.

Also, in the first Witcher, in chapter IV,(the one that takes place in that little village), just walking around those gorgeous plains and golden fields with the wonderful soundtrack playing in the background is incredibly soothing.

I generally love games that have that Eastern Europeanness about them, because for me they almost feel homely at times.(being Eastern European myself)

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
Limbo
Dealing with your archenemy felt more empowering then getting any fancy ass weapon or superpower

selweQ

Oct 29, 2010
my favorite or memorable moments (jus from the past year or so) are:

1. the max payne 3 intro scene, that was the only part of the game that gave off feelings similar to the first 2 games and with a logical natural progression of events.

2. the moment we found out that hytham kenway (AC III) is actually a templar. i dunno if this was advertised or leaked or wtv but i usually avoid spoilers from websites and ppl who got the game before me.

3. i really hated how DmC: devil may cry turned out, but that one level where u fight bob barker was actually pretty cool, i loved the cut scene with the rapture news theme song, loved the fights that go on in bob's eyes, and the girl talking during the 2nd fight, this all was really done well.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Most recently, Yosuke's ending in Persona 4 Arena. The scene in which he grows a spine and decides to actually fight Aigis in a match instead of just forfeiting is great. Aigis herself is sort of confused as to why he's challenging someone who outclasses him so badly.

"Not to boast but... You would challenge a living weapon?"

Then he fucking wins. I never thought I would see the day where Yosuke does something undeniably badass.

Oh and i've been playing Singed in League recently. Pushing inhib towers with no fear of death even from a 5 man gank. Ghost + Insanity Potion is hilarious. Not to mention i'm testing Proxy Singed in my premades. In theory it's broken good. The enemy top gets precisely zero friendly minions so yours just push right the way up to his tower at level 1. It also forces the enemy jungler to babysit top so hard because you are literally farming inbetween their second and inhib towers.

And if you're good/lucky they can't do shit about it because they're chasing Singed!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Getting the hyper beam in Super Metroid.

pew pew to FIRING MAH LAYZERZ!
I couldn't help but shout at my TV; "You get away from her you *****!"
Assuming the Metroid was female

---
(spoiler by the way)
Thrasher Maw vs Reaper. Yes, it was a pre-rendered cut-scene but I absolutely loved that part of Mass Effect 3. Speaking of ME3...
Mordin's last stand

---

The ending of Final Fantasy IX (From Deathguise to the end credits)

Halo 3 - Hornet vs 2 Scarabs...or Tank vs 2 Scarabs...or Warthog vs 2 Scarabs

Halo: Reach - Space combat

Halo 4 - Mantis sections and, space combat...ish (seriously 343, make a vehicle-focused Halo title)

Hadoken and, Soryuken from Mega Man X and Mega Man X2

Horseback and, Dark Lord Ganondorf from Twilight Princess (AKA; my favorite Ganondorf fights in the series)

Fighting Nightmare and, Ridley in Metroid Fusion.

Nomadiac

Jan 11, 2013
The epilogue of Dragon Age: Origins. It was the aftermath of everything I'd done, the sum of all my actions - and though it was only text slides with backgrounds it was the most moving part of the game, because I was imagining all these things happening in my mind. It made me feel that my character's actions actually had profound consequences - not for the plot of the game so much, but for the world and the people in it.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
A couple of moments actually:
-Spec Ops The Line: The second half of the game, particularly after the first white phosphorus strike. Truly memorable.
-Half Life 1 & 2: The into sequence for obvious reasons.
-Silent Hill 2: The revelation scene, the ending, the encounters with pyramid head... Hell the whole game.
-The Void: Alright, I haven't finished the game, but I plan to eventually. The first time one colours a tree, a beautiful sight.
-Crysis: The tank assault.
-The Witcher 2: The part where you decide whether help Iorveth or not. I wasn't expecting such a choice in the game, much less in that manner. I actually acted in panic, but decided to help Iorveth. I felt that the choice made was made actually by myself as if I were there.
-Dark Souls: The arrival to Anor Londo, the first sight into the Kiln of the First Flame, the Gwyn Boss fight. The story is also quite memorable, and one of my favourite stories in games.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
There are a lot of moments but my recent favourite is the virmire planet on me1 when you have the conversation with Sovereign. I feared the reapers in that moment.

Going oldschool, it is fighting the final boss in Light Crusader for the genesis. Awesome song plus cool looking boss, although he wasn't hard. Then you get to see that asshole wizard die, ya fuck you. Then awesome credits and song.

I'll put some vids up when I got onto my pc, because I want you to experience the awesome.(that is probably not nostalgia ;) )
I got chills.
CONGRATULATIONS! Haha, I forgot about that.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Walking out of Vault 101 for the first time, just perfect!
I have a feeling that this moment was eternally ruined for me, because the first time I played Fallout 3 I rented it with a friend, and when we got to that part, he shouted "You blew it up! Damn you! God damn you all to hell" xD

The moment was tarnished by the planet of the apes quote XD

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I can only think of two of my favorite moment. First one was getting my first MOAB in MW3. The second was when I was going through the Gears of War 2 campaign with a friend and he kept getting downed by a bloodmount and I kept picking him up.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Recently finished Ghost Trick. Finding out the true identity of Sissel was one of the most hilarious reveals I can recall yet made perfect sense somehow.

Ending to Portal 2

Ending of Shadow of the Colossus

Persona 4; true ending / epilogue

FunnyBunny

Jun 24, 2013
It's amazing how almost every game mentioned here, I've never played so far. :)

No, I didn't want you to take only one moment. I mentioned 4 of mine, which is about 10-15 years of playing summed up in these moments I still remember. Of course, there are games I remember still, the overall feeling or impression, such as Max Payne or Far Cry (actually No One Lives Forever is probably in this category, since it's ancient, lol, and one of the first I've ever played), but my list - those are the unique moments that survived in memory for a decade...

DragonKhan95 said:
Fable 2 ... And on that hill top was a grave. A grave for that dog.

That right there was my favourite gaming moment, and it was heartbreaking.
Sweet! :)

ninjarafter said:
... In STALKER(the first one), I love those little moments, where after you've cleared one of those horrifying, dark, oppressive, depressing underground labs full of mutants, you finally reach the surface and go to the nearest camp, or fire and the Stalkers there are playing the guitar, or telling jokes, or creepy stories about The Zone. There's just something about that moment, where all the tension leaves you and you get back to relative normalcy that is just superb.

Also, in the first Witcher, in chapter IV,(the one that takes place in that little village), just walking around those gorgeous plains and golden fields with the wonderful soundtrack playing in the background is incredibly soothing.

I generally love games that have that Eastern Europeanness about them, because for me they almost feel homely at times.(being Eastern European myself)
The same for me. I hated those underground quests and it was great to be back under the sun and without worries about ammo or monsters. :) Murky Waters in Witcher were also quite different from the other chapters. Also, Witcher 2 has some totally amusing chatter from random folks in towns. I remember listening and laughing more often than in other game (perhaps only Stalker was the same). Though from I remember, some really nice music was also in Fable 1 or in Divinity 2 - where I loved to be a dragon, too!).