Your favourite game theme?

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
what is the most memorable or maybe just your current favourite gaming theme? For me it's one I just rediscovered: Hell March 3 from Command and Conquer Red Alert 3.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Either the Pokemon League theme, the old version is pure nostalgia and the remixed versions for newer games feel appropriately epic, or Metroid Prime 3's theme.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Probably this one here (Metal Gear Solid 2), I love it. It has everything I love about a theme, a slow start that builds up to massive scale parts, more sombre tones in the middle and a great finish.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
These days, I usually mute any in-game music right away.

So, for the "most memorable theme", I'm going full oldschool here, Chris Hülsbeck ftw:

edit: actually, let me take this here out of the spoiler:

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Repost of BlazBlue soundtrack incoming.

There's something about Tsubaki's music that just makes me want to get good with her... I can't deliver righteous (if misguided and heavy handed) justice upon my enemies if I have no combos and rely on button mashing.

Actually, you could literally hoard 5 bars of Install, hit 50 Heat then immediately use Macto Maledictis and spam everything. Huh. BRB testing this new broken tactic.

EDIT: Oh and this.

Orgia Mode OP, nerf pls. Infinite overheads forever.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Where to even begin...
Absolute favorite? Unequivocal most loved piece of music inside a video game. Damn that's hard.
It's probably one of the following, though the list changes waay to often.

One of those times where context makes something resonate with me on such a level that it will stick with me forever.

What is there to say... This one in particular has always stuck out for me as far as Zelda songs go, it perfectly captures the feel of adventure when you finally jump into the land of the Gerudo- literally. I have to have the volume way up whenever I get to the part of OOT where this starts to play.

Always without fail brings a smile to my face. Maximum possible nostalgia for me and one hell of an earworm.

Aside from being an excellent piece of music, which it is, it fits perfectly with the Halo franchise and I never get bored of hearing it.

And finally, I can't include only one of these because they all deserve to be mentioned
All the main character themes. From the upbeat quirky frog to the appropriately epic Crono to the (nothing at all like a certain song infamous on the internet) Robo. And Lucca's fanfare is probably my favorite piece of SNES music period. Best feeling.

And Schala gets her own because of how amazingly remixed her theme has been over the years. This version was going to be used in the cancelled fan remake of the game and is excellent.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'll try to pick themes that haven't been posted yet. Since MGS2's theme has been posted I feel like I should post some of the other main themes in the series since they are equally as fantastic.

Another series that always has a good main theme (and pretty much all of its' music actually) is Sonic. Yeah, the quality of the games can be rather suspect but the music is ALWAYS good or better.

And while there are so many many more I could choose, I'm just going to pick one more.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012

Simply the best theme from the best score in the whole history of gaming.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Nemesis the Warlock C=64

<youtube=kdzfOXkZrY0>

Wizball C=64

<youtube=sFYzjU-C3mA>

It's amazing to see these tracks just don't get any worse no matter how many watts you throw at them... or throw them at.

From the new, epic, philharmonic, orchestral stuff... I am still quite blown away by the omnipotent package that is Demon's Souls. Chiptune manipulation is still the one thing to get my juices flowing and infrastructure oscillating.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
The Final Fantasy theme song
It was my favourite part of FF12 just listening to it when I first load it up.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Too many to count, but if I had to choose one to encompass the entire game's experience...

Also Castlevania is a series with nearly as much amazing music in it as Mega Man. Victorian Fear from Portrait of Ruin is my favourite, but the castle's main hall usually gets a good uplifting theme regardless of game, particularly in Order of Ecclesia, Symphony of the Night and Curse of Darkness.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
Right now? War thunder. This particular theme is from Jeremy Soule, AKA the composer for Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Guild wars, IL-2 Sturmovik, Neverwinter nights, Total Annihilation and others. Yeah.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009

It's this one. There are a ton of game themes that I really like but this one by far is my favorite game theme. I don't have anything against the English version either but I have a minor preference favoring the Japanese version. A very close second is Steiner's Theme and a third runner up is Zorn and Throne's theme (all from Final Fantasy IX).

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Hmmm. Theme is an awfully ambiguous term. Some consider all peices of game soundtracks a "theme" while others just consider the "main theme" a theme. Anyhoo, probably this:

I was just playing Borderlands 2 as Krieg, and this came on. Most epic thing ever. I tried to time the kills with the temporal explosions (or so I have dubbed them) in the music. Well, that's as a main theme. In terms of a general theme, I'd say:

It's long, but if you listen to it while doing something (such as workin' out and getting SUPER RIPPED), you might start to get really into it.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
chinangel said:
what is the most memorable or maybe just your current favourite gaming theme? For me it's one I just rediscovered: Hell March 3 from Command and Conquer Red Alert 3.
What a coincidence! (seriously). I've been getting into the CnC universe and have been playing Red Alert 1 and 2.
To this day, we still have no idea that the guy is saying in the first bit.

Starcraft. Terran 1
Hotline Miami. Deep Cover (many other good tracks also)
Oboro Muramasa. Dusky
Castlevania series. Vampire Killer, Clockwork, Simon's Theme.

chozo_hybrid said:
Probably this one here (Metal Gear Solid 2), I love it. It has everything I love about a theme, a slow start that builds up to massive scale parts, more sombre tones in the middle and a great finish.

I still remember booting that game up for the first time.