Your favourite game theme?

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Either something from CoDz, the easter egg songs, or Leaving Earth from Mass Effect 3. I'll never forget that moment from the demo :'(

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I've been doing a bit of a marathon with the Ys series in preperation for Memories in Celceta. The series has some of the most awesome music out there and some *****'n themes too. Right now I've started to go through Ark of Napishtim, and well...

Kick ass opening theme

Kick ass final boss theme

These get stuck in me head for hours lately.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
My all time favorite gaming theme is the opening of Disgaea 2 and one of the many reasons why I consider this Disgaea installment as my favorite.

More recently, I've been really digging the Persona 4 Golden opening.

Ulkjen

Feb 4, 2011
There are some -really- pretty theme songs out there. Between Halo 1, Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted, World of Warcraft, and more memorable ones like Super Mario Bros World 1-1... Man, thats a hard pick.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
For some reason, Abel's theme always comes to mind when I think of good game music. Maybe it's just because a lot of Street Fighter 4's music is a bit pants, so this stands out more.

Oh, and also the title screen music for Persona 3 FES and Portable. Considering how dark and gloomy Persona 3 can be, it's funny that the music can make me so happy.

Nov 15, 2010
I've gotta give my points to the main themes of Persona 3 and 4. Not only for their individual excellence, but for how well they're weaved into the final boss themes, giving the ultimate battles a full sense of the narrative arc undergone.

Close seconds are Dark Souls' theme for Ornstein & Smough for its harrowing and heroic overtures, Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song's "A Written Invitation to Death," Just good stuff, rather hammers home that you've just picked a fight with a god, or Final Fantasy 6's "The Fierce Battle," because I don't think they've come up with a more menacing, genuinely nerve-stirring battle theme since.

Zigot66

Aug 21, 2009
Headsprouter said:
Hmmm. Theme is an awfully ambiguous term. Some consider all peices of game soundtracks a "theme" while others just consider the "main theme" a theme. Anyhoo, probably this:

[snip]

I was just playing Borderlands 2 as Krieg, and this came on. Most epic thing ever. I tried to time the kills with the temporal explosions (or so I have dubbed them) in the music. Well, that's as a main theme. In terms of a general theme, I'd say:

[snip]

It's long, but if you listen to it while doing something (such as workin' out and getting SUPER RIPPED), you might start to get really into it.
I absolutely adore the TimeSplitters soundtrack, but the Western theme from TimeSplitters 2 is (in my opinion) the best of the whole series.

I also have a special love for the Hook (SNES) soundtrack with this one in particular taking the top spot (followed closely by "Rogues Gallery")

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Final Fantasy main theme any time. It represents a large amount of what my school half-term holidays used to consist of.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
To me, Battlefield 2142's themes were the best of the series. Screw that BF3 (literal) noise! This is where it's at. It has all the power of BF2 and BF1942 but on a grander scale. Still sends shivers up my spine.

Tacos_yay

Jun 18, 2013
Mine right now is the Remember Me Soundtrack. Just Amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFZ9oQItl2M

P.S. how do I do that thing with the videos in the post? Thanks.

EDIT Shoggoth your nomination is seconded.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
I tend to turn off all videogame music these days. It just can't compete with pandora. So most of the VG music I know is pretty old.

As for an actual main theme(I'm pretty sure this is cheating because it was literally already a Louis Armstrong song;) but Fallout 2's intro theme is the best main theme of any videogame no contest.

As for just general game music though, I'm really fond of both Total Annihilation's music and Quake II. Which is basically just full orchestral pieces and guitar riffs respectively.

The March Unto Death is one of the best songs for TA.

And here is Kill Ratio from Quake 2 for good measure.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Trisection from Final Fantasy Tactics, The Descisive Battle and Searching For Friends from Final Fantasy VI and the overworld theme from Dragon Quest VIII (particularly the orchestrated version.)

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Danana dana naaaaa~ *BOODOODAA* dada dana naaaaa~ Dooododododooododoooo

The addition of a flute in the remixed version is fantastic.

And I can't forget the ending theme to Arena. It's so beautiful.

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
My favourite main theme to a game will always be this.

But as of about a month ago my favourite piece of video game music is:

Impossible not to love this

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Can't believe no one's said this yet: (Yay nonsensical picture?)

It's just so relaxing and as soon as you hear it you know everything's going to be wonderful.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I'm torn between the theme song in Cave Story and basically the entire soundtrack of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinitey