Your favourite hero's sidekick?

noradseven

Dec 7, 2007
Beta wing from Descent Freespace 2 it was amusing see how much it was possible to suck, they were so bad they made slippy from starfox look good.

But seriously i liked the squad in Gears of War and republic commando alot. Daxter was cool too.

Saber or Archer from the Fate stay night game. If you could call them side kicks rather than partners.

And of course the COMPANION CUBE. It sacrificed so much for its cause.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
Hrrm... I have to go with Captain Price from Call of Duty 4. Not only is he even more kickass than Sgt. Johnson, not only does he smoke cigars, not only did he wear the kickassing(?) sweet Ghillie Suit, but he has MUTTON CHOPS(!).

EDIT: Dammit, forgot the Companion Cube. So, the ultimate sidekick is...

...a huggable, be-mutton-chopped, cuboid, cigar-smoking Captain Price who weighs a lot and likes to hold down switches while killing tangos.

I WIN!

Jagdedge

Dec 23, 2007
roo18 said:
Tales the hedgehog, from the Sonic the Hedgehog series, is most probably my favourite. Any yellow animals should be smiled upon.
Knuckles isn't bad either but I don't whether he still counts as a sidekick, ever since Sonic and Knuckles. Plus Tales's flying is more appealing too me.
Tails was a fox.

I vote for Wrex or HK-47. They're almost the same anyway.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
Having not experienced KotOR, I don't know HK-47's awesomeness first hand, but my friend played as a warforged named HK-47 in a game of D&D, and I have to say that being called a meatbag never gets old.

Other sidekicks?
Barney and Yoshi.

nasruddin

Jan 2, 2008
What about Glottis from Grim Fandango?

Glottis the oversized elemental spirt, the wenchhead with a gambling problem, pining for his bonewagon while hunched behind a baby grand, man now that's a character!

I'll never forget Manny's problemed side-kick, I can't think of a videogame friendship any stronger. They where a truly great duo because think of where they'd be without each other. Manny would be working for burros for eternity and Glottis would be stuck in some basement garage, slaving, unappreciated on old junkers, or worse laying heartless in a petrified forest.

uberlad

Dec 16, 2007
nasruddin said:

Glottis the oversized elemental spirt, the wenchhead with a gambling problem, pining for his bonewagon while hunched behind a baby grand, man now that's a character!

I'll never forget Manny's problemed side-kick, I can't think of a videogame friendship any stronger. They where a truly great duo because think of where they'd be without each other. Manny would be working for burros for eternity and Glottis would be stuck in some basement garage, slaving, unappreciated on old junkers, or worse laying heartless in a petrified forest.
Glottis! He was awesome! Such a great game...
I'd also add Dogan, from Psychonauts

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Falco from Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64.

Floyd from Jet Force Gemini.

Vorts from Episode Two.

RudeMorgue

Jan 2, 2008
Minsc from Baldur's Gate 2:

"Evil, meet my sword! Sword, MEET EVIL!!!"
"Minsc has the face the ladies love!"

Floyd from Planetfall:
(after player saves the game)
"Oooh, are we going to do something dangerous now?"

Another vote for Alyx from HL2. She's not only a great character, but she manages to kick all kinds of ass without making you feel like she's taking all the glory.

alexhayter86

Feb 13, 2007
Just thought of a good one: the "Adoring Fan" from Oblivion.

That guy was my constant companion throughout my quest to save the world. I was quite upset when he got killed... until I realised some bug meant that he had resurrection skills to rival Jesus. In fact it scared the daylights out of me when that ghost from the past showed up smack in front of my face again a couple days later.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Hk-47, Clank, Yoshi, Enemies you can raise from the dead (Champions Return to Arms)
They're all good.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
While I want to vote for Minsc from the Baldur's Gate series, I can't do so, knowing full well that Lilarcor the sentient two-handed sword was a much better sidekick for Minsc than the ranger was for me.

"What's my status? Since when do you care about me, except when I'm impaled in something's guts?! Alright, *fine*. Let me think for a minute..."

"Find someone rich, and kill them! Then find someone richer, and kill them too! Hack and slash your way to fortune! Woohoo!"

Although, having said that, even Lilarcor pales in comparison to Morte from Planescape: Torment. The wit, the razor-sharp tongue, the question of where he keeps his inventory...

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I dunno about counting Dogan; he's more NPC than sidekick, even if he has the sanity of (and vague resemblance to) a manatee, as the only time you partner up with him is that one brief bit in "Basic Braining".

Ones I'd count would be:
- Cortana (Halo series)
- HK47 (KotOR)
- Wrex (Mass Effect, my current addiction of choice)
- Durandal (Marathon series, though he thinks *he's* the hero and you're the sidekick.)
- Dog (HL2 series)*

Hmm, I've just noticed that not one of my favourite sidekicks is human. Damn, I'm a speciesist.

-- Steve

(Well, maybe Barney from HL and Sgts Johnson and Reynolds from Halo. Does that rescue me from accusations of antihuman bias?)

* Sorry, but Alyx grew seriously annoying for the number of times she got in my way and either spoiled a shot or blocked me from cover and made my die horribly by Combine fire. Good sidekicks don't get their heroes killed.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
My vote goes to... CLANK, from the Ratchet and Clank series. He has cunning, wit, and style-- all rolled into a cuddly metal backpack guy.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
I could be boring and say Luigi, but I think Toad is so much cooler. I wanna be a living mushroom too ....

yosh-o

Nov 23, 2007
nasruddin said:

Absolutely.