Your favourite lesser-known games

skcseth

May 25, 2009
Blacksite: Area 51

Don't know how popular it got, but I didn't know too many people who knew about it.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I'm trying to think of ones people haven't mentioned, but since that might imply that I like some of those I'll just name the ones I think of in general. Although to be fair, I've heard of almost all of these games, if not all of them, in fact. I'm impressed that so many people are aware of them.

Anyways, games I liked that I don't hear about often:

Eternal Darkness
Psychonauts - although the last area was a pain in the ass, and least favourite
Legacy of Kain series
Vagrant Story
Parasite Eve
The Actraiser/Soul Blazer/Illuision of Gaia/Terranigma/Grandstream Saga series of Death/Rebirth
Super Godzilla
Those Dragonball/DBZ games that actually focused on the story, like the GBA ones, and not just tons of fighting.. although Sagas on the PS2 was pretty sweet
Conker's Bad Fur Day was awesome on the N64
Kartia
Persona (although it has become more well known recently)
Secret of Mana (and nothing past it since all the sequals we got sucked, but SD3 was good)

Wow, it's hard to think of games that I consider lesser-known. I have no idea if the majority of the titles I think of fit it.

Megaman Legends (why Capcom, why did you cancel it... and make X6-8)
Blaster Master on the NES
A couple of little known titles called Marble Madness and Anticipation on the NES
Kirby's Pinball Land
Paladin's Quest on the SNES
The various King's Quest games
The Monkey Island games
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - it was awesome, no matter what others say

Hmmm...

Beyond Good and Evil
Secret of Evermore - Hell yeah!
Tail Concerto
Survival Kids on the old GameBoy.. not to be mistaken for the Lost in Blue or whatever it's called on the DS now...

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Another chance to say how much I love Jet Set Radio future.
No More Heroes also surprised me by being somewhat fun, none of my friends though were brave enough to play, mostly because of Destroy Man.

Darkrain11

May 14, 2009
Legends of Legaia. Back on the PS1 this was one of the first RPGs I ever played. Very interesting story and the combat system was pretty cool and the characters were likable.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Halo 3. Just kidding.

Armored Core: For Answers is pretty good. I'll leave it to the reader to deceide how less-known it is.

Rumble Roses XX is fun for a few hours, but I couldn't call it a good game without cutting off my tongue first. I've played so much, and I only have 30 achievement points. I mean, winning 15 matches in a row and defeating every other fighter is a little too hard for 10 points, not to mention I could win 40 matches and it still won't give me a title shot. So it's not one of me favorites.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
I loved the first two suikoden games, and the first Vandal hearts for the psx. Then my ex wife went and threw away all my old games one night in a fit of rage. sigh.

phatty500

Mar 25, 2009
i really liked a game called cold winter. It had decent gameplay, over the top gore and probably the best story ever in a videogame.

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Killer 7 (of course i'd say that), Sly Cooper Series, Shadow Hearts - Covenant, Vampires - The Masquerade Bloodlines, The Experiment (aka Experience 112), Eets, Penumbra Overture (and sequals).

BOnghat

Jun 25, 2009
Evil Genius

Plays like dungeon keeper, with an evil mastermind and a plot to take over the world. Zap government agents, while your minions die left and right, trying to keep your hidden volcano base running.

While the gameplay mechanics are buggy, the humor is so awesome.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
CrashBang said:
I searched and found a similar thread posted months ago, but thought I'd start another to get different responses.

Anyway...
I was looking through my old PS1/2 game collections and realised that a lot of my favourite games are actually games which are not so well known, perhaps underrated or just games which intrigued me but I never saw any reviews of and just bought out of curiosity.
On PS2 one of my favourite games was the fairly dark RPG 'Shadow Hearts'.
The Legacy of Kain series springs to my mind as well. Although it's fairly well known, it's never gained massive popularity, but I thoroughly enjoyed every game of the series.

Does anyone else have favourites which never really reached a well-known status?
YOU OWN SHADOW HEARTS!?

That game is so damn rare! Kudos to you.

For me, I reckon it's probably Dark Cloud. I don't know many people who have played it.