Your Favourite Prog

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Title says it all - I'm looking to listen to some more prog rock/prog metal and maybe discover a few bands, so please post anything you really like in this thread. I'll make an effort to listen to every video posted in this thread at least once, and I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who will as well.

My current favourite song is probably The Count of Tuscany by Dream Theater:

Quickly followed by some Opeth, who are my favourite prog band and are absolutely amazing live!

These are probably quite mainstream bands for prog, so feel free to post some more obscure stuff if you know about it, as they're always harder to find...

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Slice The Cake are both very good and not very well known[footnote]They don't even have a wiki page.[/footnote].

They call themselves 'Progressive Deathcore' and are absolutely fantastic at what they do, I suggest you check them out.

My other suggestion was going to be Opeth but you already covered that so never mind. I might just post a couple of my favourite Opeth songs anyway, for others to see.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
SlaveNumber23 said:
Slice The Cake
Well I have a new band to check out :D

And Here I thought these threads were mostly useless to me. Thanks!

OT: I've got very little for you OP :(

Is this acceptable?

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
T0ad 0f Truth said:
SlaveNumber23 said:
Slice The Cake
Well I have a new band to check out :D

And Here I thought these threads were mostly useless to me. Thanks!

OT: I've got very little for you OP :(

Is this acceptable?

No problems, glad you enjoy them!

I was thinking of posting some Meshuggah and Mastodon, I don't really know shit about all the different sub genres, their Wikipedia pages say they are considered Progressive but I wouldn't really call them that. Still, two fantastic bands that are worth checking out if you haven't already.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Esotera said:
I freaking love Dream Theater too! Why not listen to their entire discography?

For different bands, I'd say Rush. They're quite similar to DT in song structure while being really good. Start with 2112, then listen to the rest of their discography.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Opeth is probably my favorite band at moment, prog or other.

Mastadon is also really awesome.

just got into Gojira, too. Good prog death metal.

Tool's pretty good, too.

Apr 8, 2010
Uhhh... I hope to see a good selection in this thread. Can't go wrong with good prog ^^

So apart from Opeth and Dream Theater which are always awesome to listen to [footnote]Esotera also gets a plus for mentioning the Count Of Tuscany which is also my favourite next to Octavarium [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH_9lJxeiXg] when it comes to Dream Theater[/footnote], there are also always those I usually have in my playlists:

...and my all-time favourite[footnote]who I never cease to mention in any music thread and who are more avantgarde than progressive[/footnote]

Froken Keke

May 21, 2011
I'm all for Pink Floyd, which is an overly obvious suggestion, I suppose. Also Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Genesis and stuff.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
sextus the crazy said:
MUSIC SNIP!
Awwww...I was gonna post some Tool and Opeth, you stole my thunder you dirty ninja. :(

OT: Fates Warning is pretty awesome...

And so is Symphony X...

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Porcupine Tree.

Everyone that loves Opeth loves Porcupine Tree. It's like a universal law or some such.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Does early Genesis count? It's pretty much the only thing I ike from this genre.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
These three are instrumental prog metal:

Dankmeyer is a solo artist, does all of the instrumentation himself, and he releases his albums on a "Pay what you like" system on his bandcamp.com page.

Tool has been mentioned, but I can't echo them enough, particularly the album Lateralus as my personal favorite.

For chaotic progressive metalcore, my favorite band is Between the Buried and Me. They're very much a case of "your mileage may vary", and even I'll say that their vocalist has a pretty bad screaming voice (though his cleans are to die for).

That's the longest song they've ever made, so I'll try to find a decent quality shorter one.

You've got more recent Dir En Grey for a bit of foreign influence.

On the softer side, Fair to Midland is an interesting prog rock band.

And these guys are an extremely acquired taste (mostly because of the vocalist), but you can give a listen to Orbs.

EDIT: Dammit, I forgot The Human Abstract, even though I reminded myself about them while I was typing this up. I prefer their latest album, with Travis Richter as the vocalist, because A.J. Minette rejoined the band and he's a stellar song-writer, Midheaven was pretty mediocre without him, and Nocturne is pretty good, but I never thought Nathan Ells was as strong of a vocalist.

Those are from their latest album.

That's the song that got me into them in the first place.

And that's probably one of their most well-known songs, also from their first album.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Rabish Bini said:
Porcupine Tree.

Everyone that loves Opeth loves Porcupine Tree. It's like a universal law or some such.
porcupine tree's lead singer did help with the creation of Blackwater park, Opeth's best album, so that certainly helps.

I Stomp on Kittens

Don't let go!
Nov 3, 2008
As most of what I was going to say has already been said DAMN YOU ALL!

I'm surprised Riverside hasn't been mentioned, they are masters; their album "Second Life Syndrome" proves..

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
I Stomp on Kittens said:
As most of what I was going to say has already been said DAMN YOU ALL!

I'm surprised Riverside hasn't been mentioned, they are masters; their album "Second Life Syndrome" proves..

I personally prefer Anno Domino High Definition.

As for Progressive that I listen to, I'm not gonna post links, because I don't have that much time, but I will list band names of groups that I listen to fairly often. =D

Abydos
After Forever
Arjen Lucassen, and every one of his projects (Ayreon, Star One, Stream of Passion, Guilt Machine. Arjen is BY FAR my favorite progressive composer.)
Beyond Twilight
Darkwater
Devin Townsend
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Dream Theater
(Wow, there are a lot of bands in my library that I never listen to.)
Nightwish
Pain of Salvation
Pathosray
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Queensryche (Operation: Mindcrime, at least)
Riverside
Royal Hunt
Rush
Seventh Wonder
Sieges Even
Sky Architect
Symphony X
Tool
Vanden Plas
Yes

Those are just the bands I have on my regular playlists, too. o_O I just realized that I have waaaaaay too much music. But, either way, progressive rock/metal is far and away my favorite genre of music. I have to give props to Dream Theater's "Metropolis Part II" and Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime" for getting me into the genre. Now I mostly use the site ProgArchives to find my music.

Oh gawd, I just learned that Arjen is releasing a new Ayreon album in 2013. Please pardon me while I change my pants.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
sextus the crazy said:
Rabish Bini said:
Porcupine Tree.

porcupine tree's lead singer did help with the creation of Blackwater park, Opeth's best album, so that certainly helps.
I'm aware, but it doesn't really explain the love-in of Porcupine Tree by Opeth fans. I just find it odd is all, a fine band nonetheless.