Your favourite RPG class

NinjaTank56

Jan 14, 2015
whenever possible, a Dragoon. (AKA Valkyrie, Lancer, etc...)

Usually though, I play a warrior, with the biggest hammer possible. Although sometimes, a rare RPG comes along that has a cool looking mage, and I play that. I will never play as a healer though...

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm proud to write I played Final Fantasy I on the NES!!! It was terrific!!! BUT. FFX was amazing. A new level in awesome. Rock music, cinematic action scenes, terrific characters.

I loved Skyrim (With Cheats and Trainers) and the Saints Row series but FFX? My all time favorite.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
If you can't tell from my displayed badges then I think you have a serious problem.

Besides a pure Spellcaster though, I also am fond of the Warrior/Mage combo. Sometimes though, I also like to pick a full-on Healer and go on a quest to make myself and, if a party-based game, others invulnerable and able to restore all. It's actually fun for me to play a character that's literally pretty much impossible to kill. XD

samgdawg

Apr 1, 2011
Dedicated crowd control or nuker "Black Mage", dedicated run up and stab "fighter", dedicated backline head popper or big damage dropping "sniper/ranger", and sometimes a dedicated healer "White Mage" though that's more towards number 5-ish if I cant' get one of the above.
If I can't get one of those main three I'm not really a very reliable player. I'm okay with healing and buffing but tend to feel over relied on which leads to panicking where I try to cover everyone at once.
My main go-to has always been magic. Whether it's JRPG style Black Mages, RPG style Squishy Wizards with exponential curves, or Destiny style "lower health pool with the potential for massive damage without an annoying time limited cheat code". If I need to jump into the heavy armor I prefer to know there's someone I can use to be healed or respawned.

samgdawg

Apr 1, 2011
Dedicated crowd control or nuker "Black Mage", dedicated run up and stab "fighter", dedicated backline head popper or big damage dropping "sniper/ranger", and sometimes a dedicated healer "White Mage" though that's more towards number 5-ish if I cant' get one of the above.
If I can't get one of those main three I'm not really a very reliable player. I'm okay with healing and buffing but tend to feel over relied on which leads to panicking where I try to cover everyone at once.
My main go-to has always been magic. Whether it's JRPG style Black Mages, RPG style Squishy Wizards with exponential curves, or Destiny style "lower health pool with the potential for massive damage without an annoying time limited cheat code". If I need to jump into the heavy armor I prefer to know there's someone I can use to be healed or respawned.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Primarily: Paladin. I like having something that can soak attacks as they chip away at the enemies health. Especially when they have a few healing spells on hand. I also like fucking up the undead no end! I nearly always couple with a mage and a druid and something fighter-esque for the DPS.

Gray-Philosophy

Sep 19, 2014
I usually gravitate towards anything stealthy, rogues, thieves, assassins etc. I've always liked sneaking about for some reason. The idea of a skillfully executed ruse to outwit and outperform your opponent, it's just marvellous! Although sometimes, all you need is just a solid club and a high strength character.

I've never really liked magic all that much though. Something about the "overpoweredness" of it, when you're able to conjure up fireballs and summon demons and golems or whatnot, it sort of turns me off because it makes things seem too easy for me. Or at least things should be easy if you can do that.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Perhaps a mage with an enphasis on territorial control. I also was flirting with the idea of a shaman subclass called scribe. Basically, they are weaker when it comes to magic, but compensate for it by brewing battle potions before battle and can open temporary doors to the astral realm to get some eldrich squid monster to temper with the enemy.

Like shamans you be forced to carry a den dosent of artifacts and totems, so I imagine some short fella running around with a massive backpack twice his size filled with herbs, alcohol and bear s***.

Vancleef

Jul 6, 2010
Anything goes, really. Mostly because I find all archetypes in these kind of games intriguing in some way or the other. This could be a good thing, but mostly it ends up with me picking something that looks cool at the time and then regretting it later. Very flavour of the month for better or worse.
Also, as has been mentioned, not all games handle all classes/archetypes as well as others, or even play the same, meaning they're either not as interesting or as fun to play as another incarnation (or vice versa)

Lately though I have been slowly gravitating towards more fighter/warrior type of classes, preferably mobile ones because it feels more visceral and satisfiying to be up in the enemies face rather than being a stationary fireball-artillery piece.
I've also grown a soft spot for Cleric/Warrior Priest archetypes lately because I like being helpful as well as kicking ass and taking names.

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
D&D 3.5 Psion I think, I like all the Weird and creative things you can do with that class, great fun in a tabletop game. :)

Req

May 18, 2012
Paladins or some equivalent. I like tanky characters, especially in MMOs, because being at the forefront and trading blows with your opponent just feels better for me. And paladin-esque characters are usually very tanky. Heavy armor, big shield, protective magic, and if that isn't enough, I'll probably have a few healing spells to patch myself up too. It'll take me ages to kill anything, but if I play it smart, I won't ever die either.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
I prefer necromancers or other minion controlling magic users. It's just a pity that so few games get them right imo. Most games only let you summon 1 minion and maybe a temporary minion or 2 if your lucky. Seems that most mmo's tend to be more limiting. It's usually only done well in ARPG's.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Battlemage/Paladin.
Anything that combine front-line tanking martial prowess with some supernatural edge is cool in my book.

MrOmNomNom3

Aug 9, 2013
Thief, not because stealthing, because they can deal MASSIVE damage with the only tradeoff being you crumble with a thought, which shouldn't be a problem as you can 1-hit murder everything.

Animakuro

Oct 27, 2013
I was thinking of starting a thread in this manner myself.
I always pick the Warrior/Mage hybrid class if I can. Heavy Armour and weapons are cool. Magic is cool. Put them together and you have a lot of awesomeness. Basic maths :p
Unfortunately, not many games offer these kind of classes in my experience. In cases where they don't I'll either go for the Paladin style class or a pure mage, depending on how they look and feel within that particular universe.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Always like to play a Paladin or a Ranger. Like the good moral codes of the pally or the nature's champion of the ranger, always fun to roleplay.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Something that can summon something big and stompy.
Also shapeshifters if the game gets them right which barely any does.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
I'm all about sneaky-stabby, silver-tongued devils. Utility and versatility are the name of my game.