Your Favourite Studio Ghibli Film

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Spirited away.

I was feeling melancholy when it ended, because of what a wonderful film it was. XD
All their films that I've seen have been pretty good, but I'd still put spirited away up at the top.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Navvan said:
Grave of the Fireflies by far. I have never been so moved by anything in my life (animated or otherwise). It is made to make you curl up into a ball and weep tears of endless sorrow. Its something I'd recommend everyone watch once during their life.

King of Asgaard said:
Grave of the Fireflies is the only one to make me shed tears, so I'll go with that.
But seriously, that ending is made from the depressed tears of quadruple amputee orphans.
Fun fact: when it first came out in Japan, it was coupled with Ponyo in theatres.
Imagine all the children going to see the uber-adorability of Ponyo, then going to see GotF afterwards.
That is almost correct, it was paired with the My Neighbor Totoro [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Neighbor_Totoro]. Ponyo wasn't released until 20 years later (2008). Still it makes for an interesting combination.
Thanks for correcting me, I hate getting my facts wrong.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
I've loved them all but if forced to choose then my choice would be Grave of the Fireflies.
Only thing to make me feel sadness in over a decade. Only thing to make me cry tears that weren't tears of physical pain in even longer.
A truly moving and masterful movie.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I love to watch Kiki's Delivery Service when I'm feeling in need of a little pick me up emotional boost and Totoro when I'm in need of a much bigger one. I think I'd have to say though that Nausicaa is my favorite in a tie with Princess Mononoke. Those two capture, for me, the different-ness and the seriousness with the same lighter heartedness that characterize the whole studio for me. Without making me weep copiously or have my fiancé roll his eyes at me singing along to kids movies.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Laputa; Castle in the Sky.

First one I ever saw and it embedded in my very mind as what Anime should be like.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Laputa will always be my favourite. I watched the VHS tape we had of it over and over until it melted. Was the original english dub. I bought it on dvd recently.

It will always be poignant and personal for me because my dad recorded it for me. He later died of cancer at 55. Now every time the character Pazu has the moments with his father I get very teary.

I really love Totoro too (catbus!) although my dvd of it was swiftly stolen by my niece and nephew. :p

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Not a big Studio Ghibli fan, but I honestly really liked The Secret World of Arietty. I know they have a lot of better films, but for some reason I really enjoyed that one. I also really liked Princess Mononoke for being much darker than most of Ghibli's other films, and for being one of the few environmental films where both sides are on equal footing, where others usually pro-nature.