Your First Book

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
A fairly straightforward question, what is the first book you ever read, all the way through?
For me, it was Hop on Pop. I loved that book so much. If I knew how to properly post images, I would show you (If you didn't already know what it was)
This doesn't have to be a strictly English experience. Let us know the first text you read in your first language, as it would be interesting to see what is used in each language.

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
Oh, man. That was *mumbletymumble* years ago.

I'm going to have to go with Green Eggs and Ham. I loved that book. My parents hated it. Haha.

Dr. Seuss FTW!

Fishehh

May 2, 2009
It was an English Children's book translated (poorly) to French when I still lived in Quebec. I have no idea what it was called or what it was about, though.

First English one was probably the first Harry Potter book when I was in Grade 2 and had just barely learnt English.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
requisitename said:

I'm going to have to go with Green Eggs and Ham. I loved that book. My parents hated it. Haha.
Let me guess: You asked them to read it to you, and they said "We do not like Green Eggs and Ham. We do not like it, Sam-I-Am."

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
Queen Michael said:
requisitename said:

Let me guess: You asked them to read it to you, and they said "We do not like Green Eggs and Ham. We do not like it, Sam-I-Am."
Well, to be fair, they were pretty cool about it the first 7,392 times I asked. The 7,393rd time, though.. sheesh. Some people are so touchy.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Oh that had been such a long time ago...let me think. I believe it was either Pippi Longstocking or Karlsson-on-the-roof. I am not entirely sure, though - I remember these were there after I learned to read but I'm not sure if either of those was the first. They were quite thick books (for back then), so probably I started off with something "lighter". I just can't remember what it was. Gosh, I can't even remember which book it was that I used to learn to read. I'd assume it was something with fairy tales.

planet.tyler

Mar 1, 2012
Well I am pretty sure this is an Australian kids book, but I would love to be wrong, a really funny book called The Oath Of Bad Brown Bill.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
It was probably some random little golden book.

The first book I really remember reading of my own volition was when I grabbed War of the Worlds during my 3rd grade book fair.

The reason it stands out is that it's still one of my favorite stories.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
It isn't technically my first book, but I am going to name A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeline L'Engle. I am quite sure I'd read other books before that one, but I recall that book vividly. I was still in primary school, and spent a month in Ohio with my aunt. It was my first time having my own room, as my brother and I were both young enough that sharing was not an issue and our apartment at the time had only two bedrooms, so it was something special to be able to say I had an entire attic to myself.

Anyway, she gave me a copy of the book, and said it was one of her favorites from when she was young. That book turned me into the avid reader I am today. I lost count of how many books I read in that month, but I do recall that for the rest of primary school, I had a permanent hall pass. At any time when I had finished my work, I was allowed to simply get up and walk out of class, because it was understood by all of my teachers that I would be in the library.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Not counting first grade readers or early hooked on phonics readers, the first book I ever read was probably either 'The Giving Tree' or something Doctor Seuss.

warrcry13

Jun 6, 2010
Mine was Dragon's of Autumn Twilight. At least that was the first book I read on my own, and without being forced to by school.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
probably Dr. Seuss, like most people.

But if you were to ask me what book first got me into reading, it would be the Harry Potter series. When I was little, my big sis read the first book to me each night. Good childhood times..

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
Huh, some interesting titles here.
Since it looks like the topic is expanding a little bit, I thought I should too.
I loved Goosebumps. They were among the first 'serious' books I ever read. I reckon I read about half the old series, twice over. If I had to pick, I think 'How I learned to fly' would have been my favourite.
Ahh... good times. Paperbacks, the local library, other nostalgia...

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
I started reading pretty early on, in 2 languages, too. 3 soon after.

The first book I read entirely cover to cover without any assistance that you could actually consider a full length book was Harry Potter.

ChickNaney

May 6, 2009
I can't even begin to try to name the first ever book that I read. Probably a Berenstain Bears book or Clifford or something. But the first actual big book I read that wasn't school required was Knight's Wyrd [http://www.amazon.com/Knights-Wyrd-Magic-Carpet-Books/dp/0152015205]. It was the reason I started reading other fantasy books. My "gateway book," if you will.