Your first car crash

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
On a goddamned suspension bridge.

For some reason people seem to like trying to crashing into me, the accidents I've had have all been 0 fault on my part.
Thankfully I haven't gotten into any more since I got my X-terra but my last car a 96 Impala got beaten up a couple times.

The first was on my way home from New Jersey from one of the best halloween parties out there heading to NY, my sister and brother in law were also in the car. We were on the Verrazano-Narrows suspension bridge which is just under a mile long, yes, my first major accident was in the fucking middle of a suspension bridge. I was in the left lane and suddenly I head tires squealing but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I finally saw as a minivan careened from the right lane across the middle, my brotherfromanothermother screamed like a girl, was basically in my lap and the minivan crashed into the front right quarter-panel just in front of the passenger door, slammed me up against the median which my car tried to drive up the side of and then a wheel. A FUCKING WHEEL shoots up from in front of my car and bounces off to the right. The minivan bounced off us and took off as the impala stalled or I turned it off (not sure which) and there we are on a suspension bridge and I'm thinking were fucked my car just lost a frikin wheel.

Its weird standing on a big suspension bridge, I got out and checked the front of my car, I had both wheels, where the fuck did that wheel come from?! Where did it go? I check the damage and the panel is bent in up against the tire, I hulk bent it back out got back in the car started it up and continued driving. Those cars are fucking monsters, if I was in a little shitbox car we would have probably been in way worse condition

AND THAT ASSHOLE DROVE OFF!

I tried to file a police report but no one wanted to take ownership of the bridge, I even asked if they could ID the minivan because of course they have cameras all over those bridges these days. But they said no we cant do that.

I was pissed. I drove that car for another few years and then another asshole decided the giant silver car was an apparition and pulled out from a side street and hit pretty much the same goddamned spot. At that point I was done with the car even though it had survived both accidents it was time to sell her. Seeing as I got two salvage insurance payouts somehow, I ended up selling it for a good price to some guy who fixed up the body work and gave it a good home.

I do miss that car though. After the work to the engine I could stomp the gas at 80mph, it would roar and would push you into the big comfy leather seats.

Vale

May 1, 2013
I forgot to open both sides of the garage door and backed the car into it (what a fucking clod). Car was fine, garage door got a broken latch but nothing much.
Oh and I almost got T-boned when at an intersection both me and the opposite direction had a green, I saw nobody coming so I took my turn left, then barely got missed by an incoming BMW going at around 90 km/h (this was in the city). I had people sitting in the car too, so if my car got hit that would've pretty much guaranteed a quadruple fatality on the spot. So after that I pulled over in some nearby side street and promptly had a panic attack.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
It was a snowy day, all the schools were clsoed but I still had to work. My mom told me to take her truck because 4 wheel drive is better on slippery roads. Well she didn't mention that 4-wheel drive doesn't help you slow down. On the way home I went to slow down and turn and started slipping and fishtailing. Since I was losing control I decided to go for the ditch so I wouldn't hit another vehicle. Not being use to a truck I turned a little to sharp and fast, jumped the ditched and rolled the truck. Completely totaling it. It landed at an angle with the driver's door in a snowbank, and I had to crawl through the broken window and burrow through the snow to get out. Thankfully there were police there in 10 mins since there was an other accident a mile up he road.

All I had was a scratch on my hand from the driver's window shattering. It felt like a roller coaster, you got the same stomach dropping and weightlessness felling except with a huge crash afterwards. The seatbelt felt exactly like the safety harness too and kept me in my seat while the car was rolling, or I would have been thrown about. So always wear your seatbelt.

I also had a deer hit my car, which did a lot of damage. It didn't jump out and hit the front, it jumped into the side of my car. It his the area right before the wheel so the hood, that side and the passenger door had to be replaced. If it jumped straight in front it would of been cheaper.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Apparently when I was younger my dad got into a lot of accidents. I just slept through them all.
The first one I was awake for was in October of 09.
A guy smashed into us from across two lanes, and we spun into a wall. Nobody was severely hurt.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
I haven't had a crash since I started driving a car, but back when I was a motorcyclist I was hospitalised for a few months after a crash. I was travelling down the main road at about 70mph, a few car lengths behind a car. Just before I passed a crossroads, a Landrover that had been waiting to cross pulled out in front of me and I hit the side of it. One of my neighbours found me on their way in to work and called an ambulance, but I was pretty jacked up, and by the time I was able to give details to the police it was a week later, and they weren't able to find the culprit.

I made more or less a full recovery (had to learn to be right handed due to nerve damage on my left side) but my poor little bike didn't make it :(

blaqknoise

Feb 27, 2010
I've never had one yet, luckily. I don't drive at the moment because I moved to a new city and decided to sell my car and get a bus pass instead because it's cheaper, so I don't really have any chances to get into one either.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
@Miyenne and I totalled my aunt's car once. Not our fault. She was dropping me off at work when some kid zips out of the parking lot and t-bones us. He was late to work at Wal-Mart so wasn't paying attention and rammed us pretty bad. We were driving a Neon, which basically means "tin can with 4 wheels" so the car was toast. Thankfully he hit the passenger side wheel well as it was completley caved in. If it had happen a split second later, he would've hit the passenger door and it would have been me mangled instead of the wheel.

We were both bruised and sore for a couple weeks afterward, but no real damage. Kid was more banged up than us as his little Sunfire-type car had its airbag go off. I will never forget a car full of teenage guys pulling over to roll down the wheels and laugh at us, though. Still would like to hurt hose kids. We were young and our parents were on vacation so we ended up calling a neighbour to come get us. We were pretty shaken up. My sister ended up getting fired because of missing some time and then having to take the bus to work, too.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Well, shit. This seems to be the perfect thread to come back to, after dealing with a.. crash.. related lawsuit...

Anyway! My first big crash happened back in 2010. I'd just gotten the memo that I was getting hired and I had to go to some place for drug testing. I was almost there when I got T-Boned and my car was totaled. I was blamed for the crash, though I managed to get off without any points taken off my license and only an $80 fee, which wasn't too bad. Unfortunately I had to get a replacement vehicle, and that's where things get a bit interesting.

You see, the first crash was scary, but not nearly as bad as the second one, and here's why: my replacement car was, for all intents and purposes, a total POS. It was an $800 barely-drivable husk with a host of mechanical issues. It was falling apart mechanically, with bad wheels, bad brakes, an engine that knocked, stalled, overheated, and burned oil faster than my dad's old Pontiac GTO(which went though a can a day) and an interior that was half-stripped with "safety" belts that couldn't hold for shit. Naturally, this monetary black hole was going to crap out sooner, rather than later, and last year it had a brake failure a 45MPH(approx. 70KPH for you metric country peeps) and I wound up going under a Ford Taurus sedan. Fortunately, life decided it felt like acting like a videogame that day and no one got hurt, even though both cars were totaled.

Unfortunately, that brings me back to the prelude of the response today, with the lawsuit. The guy in the Taurus decided to sue, and right now I'm waiting on my insurance company's word of whether I'll be pulled into the trial or not, since it's primarily insurance company vs. insurance company. In the meantime, I'm driving a much nicer replacement, so that's good at least. Still, lawsuits are not fun.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Dirge Eterna said:
Wow thats some scary shit dude. Closest I ever came to laying down my bike was I was making a right into a shopping center driveway. Unbeknownst to me a car had just turned in that was leaking oil and the road was wet from alight drizzle. The rear tire got squirrelly and I fishtailed a little bit. I managed to catch it and the only thing that happened was my front crash bar scraped the road a little. Could have been much worse. I watched a guy who had just bought a $25k dollar Harley lay it down on his road test, guy had trailer-ed it in and had only ridden it like 5 or 6 miles total to learn. I offered him the bike I was taking the test on a 1978 Honda 175, maybe a 180pd bike. He laughed and was like I ain't riding a Japanese bike, I didn't shed a tear when he crashed jackass. I passed, he didn't.
What kind of a moron uses a Harley on a test? Well, I guess you got the last laugh.

Actually, I HATE custom bikers. Harleys or other custom bikes. A-holes the lot of them.

This is in England though. Seriously, whilst I'm a biker myself, I hate most other bikers. They're the most dangerous twats on the road.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
The only car crash I've ever been in was on December 24, 2011. I was driving home after stopping at the post office to get our mail. (I live on route 20 in Massachusetts, right by the road. The speed limit is 50.) I was driving home and a car got behind me, and I noticed that their windshield was more than half-way covered in snow, enough that you could use the wipers and clear it, but they didn't. I kept an eye on them and I sped up to gain some distance, and when I started to near my house I put on the left turn signal. My house was on the other side of the road and I tend to move right a little bit and then turn left. (The driveway is similar to a pull-in area or turn around area.)

I kept my eye on the car behind me and I judged that there was enough time to pull into the driveway, and I had the left turn signal on did the slight right turn and then swung left to pull in. Well, the driver the car behind me with the windshield half-way covered in snow saw me dip right and thought I was pulling over, so he decided to speed up to probably around 55 or 60 miles an hour and turned into the other lane, which had a double yellow line.

That was when I swung left. I saw the car coming right towards me, and time seemed to slow down quite a bit, and I when realized I couldn't do anything it went back to normal and I was hit. The driver hit the car I was in from the back of the drivers seat all the way to the bumper. He hit the with so much force that the rear wheel on the driver's was at a 45 degree angle, and his car's front to be almost flat.

I saw his airbag go off and I got out and the first thing I said was "Are you all right?" He open his door and immediately yelled "WHAT THE F*** IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" (He looked like he was in an awful rush to stop somewhere, but not to get christmas presents, but more likely the liquor store) As soon as he said that I was already ready with "I was pulling into my driveway." He responded with "You had your right turn signal on!" I immediately replied in a calm tone with "I had my left signal on, but you couldn't see it because your windshield is half-way covered in snow." I then got in my car and fully pulled into my driveway and he did so as well, to get out of the road.

I went inside and told my mom that I was just in an accident and for her to call RW's towing to get the car, I then went back out. The guy was quite agitated and said he didn't have his cell phone with him, I was nice enough to let him use mine and he gave it back after calling his girlfriend to pick him up. My mom joined me outside and we waited until the cops showed up and we found out that this guy had a pretty dirty driving record. We both had the same type of insurance and because he was a fault he had to pay for our repairs.

If he had hit me a split second earlier I probably would be dead right now, but he didn't and the only injury I suffered is that my back is ever so slightly out alignment now. I also know that if he had stayed the same speed and didn't go into the other lane he would have missed me completely.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Since I only had my permit and never got my license due to hating driving, the closest I got was pulling out in front of someone at an intersection. I was driving my mom's car with her ahead of me, to get it to a mechanic, and I had just driven through a twenty minute blizzard. Yeah, visibility was very low, the roads were slippery, and I had only been driving for two months. So the reason I wasn't paying as much attention was that it was the last turn to the garage and my main priority was to follow my mom's car.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Was rather innocent mine was.

Was in France and staying with friends of my best friend, they took me out for some drinks.

The owner of the car got so drunk he practically fell asleep so one of his friends volunteered instead...And crashed us into a lampost 5 minutes later.

No one was hurt, fortunately. The owner of the car didn't even wake up.

The car had lost its..euh the cover you put on the wheel though but another driver stopped to toss it back to us. Nice fella.

We slowly drove back to one of the people's houses and slept there, leaving the drunk owner of the car where he was since he was soundly asleep still.

Next morning we are awoken by the loud bangings of the car owner on the windows "WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU FUCKERS DONE WITH MY CAR?" and the guy looked like a proper raging zombie xD

Good times.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Mine happened years ago when I was delivering pizzas. It was at a large intersection, two lanes on the road I was traveling on, two lanes on the oncoming lane, and one lane on the cross street complete with a traffic light. I had to make a right-turn so I pulled into the right turn lane behind the lady in front of me who was also making a right turn. She gets up to the intersection and checks to make sure that no one from the oncoming lanes was making a left (which would have them going down the same street that she and I were going to be turning on). No one was coming so she starts her turn. I start pulling up and, after checking to ensure that no one was making a left turn from the oncoming lanes, begin accelerating to make my turn. As I turn my head to look forward again, I cry out "OH SHIT!!!!" as I realize that the lady in front of me, for no apparent reason, had decided to come to a complete stop half-way through her turn. I jerk the wheel to the left but end up clipping the left corner of her back bumper with the right corner of my front bumper. Of course because I rear-ended her, it was my fault...but still...WHY THE FUCK DID SHE STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF HER FUCKING TURN?! Still pisses me off to this day when I think about it.

My 2nd car crash was a bit scarier though and happened just last year. It was on a neighborhood street intersection with a 4-way stopsign. I come to a stop, and about 10 seconds later a big pick-up truck comes to a stop on the street to my left. I go to make my left hand turn and the pick-up truck just starts going forward and T-Bones may car, caving in my drive door and busting off my mirror. The guy said he didn't even see me.

Luckily there were no injuries in both cases, but in both cases I felt like I was dealing with complete idiot drivers.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
I don't drive, so it's not quite the same, but; when I was about 7 (some 26 years back, so most of the details are hazy) I was in the back of my Dad's car when he lost control on black ice and rolled it. It ended up on the other side of the road on its side; I remember having to climb out the top (well, side) to get out.

Then some staff in the nursing home across the road (there's a few buildings on the main road through Hunstanton), having seen what went on, came out and offered us tea. Because Britain. (No injuries to speak of.)

Estranged180

Mar 30, 2011
I was on an interstate highway on my way to work after a storm hit the area. The storm wasn't so bad, but it did lead to higher temperatures during the winter season, thereby melting some of the ice, turning it to slush. Night falls, and so does the temperature, freezing the slush into ridges. As I said, I was on my way to work, and the right rear tire hit one of these frozen ridges, causing the car to go into a hellish fish tail. I controlled it as well as I could, but the car got the best of me, and ran me head on into the left guard rail, but at highway speeds (albeit slightly slower because of the weather) the inertia sent me back into traffic. Again, I did all I could do to try to control the situation, but again, the car got the best of me. The rear of the car hit the same guard rail.

I was ticketed a couple of times for an accident that only involved one car (me). Off the record (according to the cop that was writing the tickets) he told me that he's "never seen driving like that in his life" and that somehow I'd "managed to save some lives" by driving like that. I guess living in the northeast US has some advantages. Namely knowing how to drive in snow and on ice.

But that's not all.

I was driving home from the hospital some time after that first accident (the reasons for me being at the hospital should remain private, but I can say it involved a pulmonary embolism) I went to take your standard left turn. Directional signal is on, the light says I can go 'round the bend, and I get hit by a woman in her car coming up the road in the opposite direction (before the left turn). I don't see them, it just happens in the middle of my left. My little Toyota Rav4 rolls up onto their hood, crushing their front end, and off the front end of their car, my little Toyota Rav4 rolls, landing on solid ground once again, breaking the front axle in half. Meanwhile, I'm bouncing around the interior of this tough little truck, getting my head banged against the window a couple times. Afterwards, the police try to arrest me for attempted vehicular manslaughter. What caused the accident, you ask? The poodle in the other driver's lap, obstructing their view.

But that's not all.

After that particular incident, my wife and I decide to get us a new truck. So, we think back on what's been safest for us. Toyota. Out of all the cars we've had, and all the accidents that have been involved (which is a considerable number, but never out fault) Toyota cars and trucks are tough. Ford tough? I think not. (sorry Ford folks) Anyway, back to the funniest accident.

My wife was taking our new truck to work one morning. The new truck is an FJ Cruiser. My wife stops at a red light. Oddly enough, this red light is on the interstate highway that I was talking about before. Same highway, different direction. Anywho, she's stopped at the red light and gets rear-ended by a 16 year old driving a Jeep Liberty at 55 mph while texting. When the Jeep hit the FJ Cruiser, the FJ Cruiser moved a total of 12" (that's 12 inches for those of you who aren't sure what the " is for). The Jeep was destroyed, that is to say, totaled. Our FJ Cruiser suffered ~$8,000 in damage, mostly cosmetic. People driving by that saw the aftermath were giving my wife the 'thumbs up' and telling her that her truck was tough enough to finish off a Jeep. Telling her that she had a nice truck, and that the little irresponsible girl should be punished to the fullest extent of the law (that was an off-duty cop). She finished driving to work, did her job, and drove the truck home, with no ill effects.

At that point, we had that truck, that FJ Cruiser, for 4 days. We still have that FJ Cruiser, and for some unbeknownst reason, Jeeps tend to stay away from us now.

TL;DR: Accidents in my life are hellish, and occur often, so it's difficult to pick just one.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
So I had been up for two days and was running an errand at the mall before going home for some much needed sleep. In a sleep deprived bout of decision making I decided to drive across the mostly empty parking lot rather than around it (at about 45 mph). I did not see the car coming up her lane at the proper angle (though at about the same speed) as she was in my blind spot the entire way until she was literally in front of me 2 feet away. I ended up embedding my brand new car into her wheel well, fusing the two vehicles together at about a 45 degree angle.

My airbag did not deploy and I was knocked about a bit in the collision. I came to my senses about a minute later and had to extricate myself through the moon roof as the body of the car had been forced back over the doors. I checked the other driver to make sure she was okay, then called my insurance.

The bike mounted mall security guard was the first to arrive on the scene, asking "Did y'all have an accident?" to which I replied "No, the front end of her car seemed like the perfect parking place." The police arrived a few minutes later and informed me that 1. had I hit her about a foot further back, I probably would have killed her (did I mention she was pregnant and I already felt like a monster?) and 2. there are no laws governing how people drive in a parking lot in my state and as such, I would not be cited, ticketed or have a negative mark on my driving record.

So yeah... Almost killed a pregnant woman and her unborn kid as well as damn near totaled my brand new car...

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I haven't been in one yet. Been driving for 2 or 3 years. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

DestinyCall

May 5, 2009
I was driving my mother to a doctor's appointment. On the way there, we drove through a complicated intersection. The intersection was between a one-way road and two other one-way roads - the off-ramp of a raised highway and a surface road, both the off-ramp and surface road came together to form three lanes of one-way traffic at the intersection.

I was in the middle lane, coming off the highway, and there was a car with three old ladies on the surface road to my right. They needed to make a left-hand turn to reach their destination. The driver of that car was from out of town and she was getting directions from her passengers. Her passengers told her to turn left at this intersection, even though she was in a lane that was clearly marked as "NO TURN" - since turning right would have her driving against traffic on a one-way road and turning left would have her turning into an adjacent lane of traffic which was not required to turn. I drove into the intersection going straight through ... she turned left and T-boned my little car, smashing into the passenger side door.

Fortunately it was a low-speed collision and no one was seriously injured. We exchanged information and the little old ladies were very apologetic about the whole thing.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Well a car crashed into me and shattered several important organs and bones. Haven't hit anything with my car yet though. :eek:

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Eh....my first car crash wasn't that bad. It had been misting all day and the roads were pretty slick. I was on my way to work to get my paycheck when the truck I was behind suddenly darted to the other lane. It revealed a car stopped trying to make a left turn. The other lane wasn't clear so all I could to was hit the brakes and slide into the back of the vehicle trying to turn. It did maybe $200 worth of damage to the other car while mine got totaled. No injuries except me having a sore knee for a few days. We took the insurance money and got my mom a new car, my dad took her old car, and I got my dad's pickup. Both my mom and I came out winners in that deal.

Now my first motorcycle accident....well that sucked and left me with 2 broken bones and a fracture that was almost a 3rd. Plus bruising over much of my lower body. I've never seen that shade of purple on a human body before.