Your first "mature" game.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Hmmmm. GTA 3 was at my uncles house, I loved the splat noise when you ran people over and the ability to go anywhere you wanted at any time. It blew my mind.

The first M rated game I bought, I must have been about thirteen at the time, was Red Faction. Once again, mind blown. This time by the Geo Mod engine and its unique destruction properties.

I never saw what the big deal was, but my parents were pretty strict about game ratings.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Mortal Kombat. Except that it really doesn't count as it was the SNES version :p Second I would say is Lethal Enforcer, since you are aiming a reticle & shooting at photo stills of your usual bandit/terrorist stereotypes. (Never thought about it that way, did you?)

Third would be... DOOM for SNES perhaps? I want to say I have, like I only played it for 10 minutes or so. That would be followed by the first one I owned, which was Killer Instinct.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Mortal Combat. People used to have birthday parties at arcades and MK was usually the showpiece. I rented a few "Mature" games back on Genesis. My first owned Mature game was Boogerman. Which, at the time, Mature was 13+

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Roller Coaster Tycoon. You could drown unhappy customers. You could set up death coasters. You could trap guests in pathways that led to nowhere. You could charge more for toilets than for rides.

And of course Mr Bone's wild ride:

The images showed a 30,696 foot roller coaster track with 38 riders that took four years of in-game time to complete. The original poster (OP) provided greentext descriptions of the images, explaining that passengers were constantly yelling ?I want to get off Mr. Bones Wild Ride.? After the coaster ended, the passengers walked down a large path leading to another entrance to the ride, where they were greeted by an installation of a skeleton with a top hat and a sign reading ?The ride never ends."]
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mr-bones-wild-ride

But if you mean age rating, GTA3

Plasticaprinae

Jul 9, 2013
I grew up around games made for an older audience due to my brothers, My first adult game was Dinosaur crisis when i was about 4. I watched my brother play it mostly. I also watched him play resident evil. I played the gta games by myself though, if that counts.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Honestly I grew up on mature games, Doom, Command and Conquer, Grand Theft Auto. I never played a kids game (unless you count an education game at school). I'm 27 so we're talking a few years ago....

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
If it counts I think my first mature game was mechwarrior 4.

A family friend bought it and let dad borrow it to play, joystick and all.

Me and my dad played it for days, I think that was also the first game that got me into the mech genre.

I have fond memories or that game, not only because I liked the game, but me and dad had a blast playing it.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Doom. The original Doom that is. I was at my cousin's place and he let me play it. My Mom just about had a conniption fit as I was only about 9 at the time.
Wait.....Doom is not for children? I played Doom before GTA: SA. I played Doom as a young child, I can't remember my age though.

Cretgren

Mar 26, 2009
I'm assuming that you mean mature themes, and not just an "M" rating? If that's the case, I don't really know the answer.

Anyway, Halo 2 (played at a friend's house back in elementary school) was my first M-rated game, although I was ignorant of games enough that I had no idea what was going on. For example, I had never seen an FPS before, and thought you were "controlling" the reticle and that it was a character. My friend soon set me straight.

In terms of a game which required some sort of maturity, God of War(1). I wasn't really traumatized by the sex or violence, but my mom was! She insisted on watching what I played to make sure it was alright. God of War was the game that made her stop this practice. Honestly, I'm not really affected sensitive to sex or violence in games, except the finishers in Mortal Kombat (the newer one), which made me inwardly cringe a bit.

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Conker's Bad Fur Day for N64. I begged my mom to rent it at our local video story, and I didn't understand the concept of mature games. Hell I could hardly read, I just thought the squirrel looked cool and I was out of games. Mom said no, but luckily my brother's friend showed me his copy months later. Boy did I not understand a single thing.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Cretgren said:
I'm assuming that you mean mature themes, and not just an "M" rating? If that's the case, I don't really know the answer.

Anyway, Halo 2 (played at a friend's house back in elementary school) was my first M-rated game, although I was ignorant of games enough that I had no idea what was going on. For example, I had never seen an FPS before, and thought you were "controlling" the reticle and that it was a character. My friend soon set me straight.

In terms of a game which required some sort of maturity, God of War(1). I wasn't really traumatized by the sex or violence, but my mom was! She insisted on watching what I played to make sure it was alright. God of War was the game that made her stop this practice. Honestly, I'm not really affected sensitive to sex or violence in games, except the finishers in Mortal Kombat (the newer one), which made me inwardly cringe a bit.
Yeah, more themes and Ideas. Since my first 'mature' games were played before the rating systems even existed.

Also, I think back to my parents if they saw me playing a game like god of war when I was a kid they would of ripped the game out of the system and made me go do some horrible, yet ironically violent and scarring chore, such as gelding.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
canadamus_prime said:
Doom. The original Doom that is. I was at my cousin's place and he let me play it. My Mom just about had a conniption fit as I was only about 9 at the time.
Wait.....Doom is not for children? I played Doom before GTA: SA. I played Doom as a young child, I can't remember my age though.
Well I assume it wasn't intended for children, what with the pixelated blood and guts and whatever. However it's hard to say since it was made before the existence of the ESRB and I presume any other equivalent ratings boards in other regions as well.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Mature games? er ok well that always sounds a bit pretentious to me but whatever. Also I cant believe the OP is embarrassed to play Soul Calibur but not Mortal Kombat (and that people think MK is mature).

Suppose Sam Foxs strip poker would be the first game I played not for kids and I didnt know how to play poker or have any attraction towards women at the time (to young), so yeah I thought the game was shit (and probably still would). Unless deathrace is not forkids in which case that would probably be it, at least I think it was Deathrace its been so long and I didnt play it much.

Luap26

Jun 8, 2010
I played Diablo, when I was 7, this was in the early 90's. My older brother got it from my less responsible uncle :p

I owned the shit out of that game, then preseeded to play and kick ass in Diablo 2 for 10 years because I got bored. Still love D2 with a passion my Number 1 game of all time imo.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
In grade five, I played Geneforge and Geneforge 2.

Now, they weren't particularly "adult" in content, but some of the moments and nearly ALL the themes the game focused on required some actual thought, experience and opinion. My eleven-year-old self just thought shooting things with fire was cool. When I played them again in grade nine and actually paid attention to what was going on, my mind was blown.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
Evil Smurf said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well I assume it wasn't intended for children, what with the pixelated blood and guts and whatever. However it's hard to say since it was made before the existence of the ESRB and I presume any other equivalent ratings boards in other regions as well.
Odds are it probably was made for children or more specifically teenagers as the medium was pretty young back then I dont remember hardly any adults playing games (even less than now) certainly not enough to be worth marketing to on any significant level anyway. Same with Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct and their ilk.

I specifically remembering most adults either looking at these games with disgust (because of the violence) or just looking down on them to a greater or lesser degree as something not worth their time (but then that was pretty much every game)

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
My parents bought me the box set which included GTA 3 too.

This was all when I was nine and first came to Australia.
I wasn't really shocked I guess ... dunno.
Naturally mature ... I think?

I did like the violence though. :p

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Headsprouter said:
I played DOOM at an early age...along with a tiny bit of Quake and Chasm: The Rift. It didn't affect me as badly as my older brother. He was scared of the Lost Souls, and Chasm's first boss, that big dude you have to run away from then suck into the fan. It's pretty exhilarating.
Chasm was amazing for its time. The model dismemberment and the fact that boss was invincible was so new at the time. I don't know how many times I died to him before I figured out what I was supposed to do. I just hate it now that so many bosses are made like that, because it's lame when it's done as often as it is now.

OT: I can't remember my first M rated game, but I was going to say Thief must have been one of the first. Chasm was certainly before that though.