Your Gaming Experiences Of the Decade

Aug 31, 2012
Hmmm...
Skyrim and Fallout 4 were games I played a lot of, too much in fact. Recently deleted Skyrim, all mods, saves and NMM. Fallout 4 would have lasted longer if it wasn't for the atrocious load times. Unfortunately the future of Bethesda FPRPGs is looking a bit shaky at the moment. Probably for the best for me.

Tried a couple of online open world multiplayer crafting games and found they really aren't much fun without friends. Stopped playing MMOs for taking up too much time and also being not that great without friends.

Despite all the shovelware GW had a few decent releases that I still come back to on occasion. It's kept me a bit interested in the setting despite my desire to paint and play dropping from very high I basically zero o zero over the decade.

Total Warhammer has been played a lot, but is wearing a bit thin now. Prefer watching replays.

All in all my desire to play games has been waning, mainly due to life changes I would say. Think the 2020s will be far less gaming heavy.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Zykon TheLich said:
Total Warhammer has been played a lot, but is wearing a bit thin now. Prefer watching replays.
I've only recently started playing TW:WH2 and it's been a ball so far, though given the hours that you can end up sinking in games like that, I can understand the burnout... (part of why I jump around games a lot without finishing that many of them).

OT: I'm late to most things, so what follows shouldn't be that much of a surprise, but playing Journey on PS4 and appreciating the hell out of it, excellent soundtrack and best multiplayer experience ever.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
SckizoBoy said:
OT: I'm late to most things, so what follows shouldn't be that much of a surprise, but playing Journey on PS4 and appreciating the hell out of it, excellent soundtrack and best multiplayer experience ever.
Hey, I was late to that also, but on the upside it is the best version of the game! If you haven't seen yet, Abzu is kinda like an underwater Journey, made by some of the same people I think. Just replace the wonders of ancient desert to the majesty of sea-life and, err...mysteries!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
CoCage said:
Worgen said:
Nier Automota: Just holy fuck, this is one of those games, one that everyone needs to give a shot too, then get all the endings because damn... Its a rare game that makes you give up something to help someone else and this one did it really well. Not to mention a spectacular sound track.
I loved Nier: A for its story, characters, and soundtrack, but found the gameplay underwhelming. I know after gettin all of the main endings, enough was done for me.

Worgen said:
Bayonetta 2: Easily the pinnacle of the spectacle fighters.

And then DMC5 happened, and became the pinnacle of combat. Bayonetta 2 is still at the near top for me. Bayo2 also had better bonuses, more content, costumes, and better level designs. So the game wins in those departments. The only problem with Bayo2 was that the combat and weapons were simplified a little compared to the original. Honestly, the situation is not as bad as some people make it out to be.
I quite liked the gameplay, but I have heard a bunch of people complain about it being boring so I might be in the minority. It's still on my list to replay at some point.

I disagree, I think that Bayonetta 2 still had better combat then DMC5. Don't get me wrong, DMC5 had great combat and having 3 different characters helped to mix things up even more, but I still think that Bayonetta 2's combat just flowed better. It felt like there was no downtime between moves, like any button you pressed immediately went to the next attack and you could mix and match anyway you wanted without any downtime between moves. DMC5 was close to that but still not quite there.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Phoenixmgs said:
-Vanquish just squeezes in at 2010
You are a man of taste sir. I love Vanquish and just replayed it (again) actually. I know it's one of Platinum's lesser known/revered titles but it deserves a lot more praise than it receives.

As for my entries, I have to echo others in shouting out the "Soulsborne" games. Dark Souls was a revelation and kicked off a boom of copycats and birthed a genre. Sekiro most recently distilled it down into some of the most exhilarating and fast paced sword combat in an video game.

The Witcher 3 is another obvious choice that I don't need to expound on. However I will submit some of my favorite gaming memories of this decade are tied to the Metro and Batman: Arkham games.

An off the beaten path entry- Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. Everything just came together for me in that one. The performances, beautiful visuals, and heartbreaking story really set the tone for a unique experience.

Sep 24, 2008
JUMBO PALACE said:
Phoenixmgs said:
You are a man of taste sir. I love Vanquish and just replayed it (again) actually. I know it's one of Platinum lesser known/revered titles but it deserves a lot more praise than it receives.
Is there a particular reason why Nintendo hasn't funded a Vanquish remaster and sequel like they did Bayonetta? I know combined Sales were just hitting one Million... but I really want them to.

Also, they should buy the Time Crisis series. All of the light gun series. I literally have no clue why Nintendo Switch doesn't own every video game light gun game series.

Aug 31, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Zykon TheLich said:
I've only recently started playing TW:WH2 and it's been a ball so far, though given the hours that you can end up sinking in games like that, I can understand the burnout... (part of why I jump around games a lot without finishing that many of them.
Don't think I ever finished a game. Mortal Empires is just so vast. You usually get to a point where you've basically won way before it's finished.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I don't think I can really choose a single game or even a narrow list. Ten years is just simply too long to try and pick a single favorite or even a list. I do have two moments that stood out the most to me. My upgrade from SD to HD. I was playing Fallout: New Vegas at the time and I remember coming home from GameStop with an HDMI cord in hand. The first time I turned on New Vegas again I was blown away. It was a whole new world to my eyes. The next would be the hype I had for Skyrim. If you go back far enough, I made a post here stating I was counting down the days for the game to come out and that was not a joke. I was young at the time and though I still get excited for games, I don't think anything in the future can top that.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
The height of the decade is pretty easy for me:

I'm not hopeful anything will surpass the feeling of size and depth that I got from playing Dark Souls the first time. It was the first time I was truly impressed by the breadth of a game world, and the challenge presented as a barrier to seeing more of it was one of the very rare times I've felt as though a game had really found something to wave in front of me that really made me want to fight through it. The challenge of the game was a secondary pacing device to discovering the story and size of the world.

The theme was pretty straightforward too:

I started the decade playing TF2, and I'll probably finish it playing OW. A nice bit of mindless fun in the face of life was a good way to spend quite a few afternoons over the course of ten years.

Disappointments were few, but probably only because I move at a glacial pace, and therefore I wouldn't have decided a game sucked until long after everyone else already burned down its house, pissed on the ashes, and folded the resulting mixture into rich soil to farm a field of clover. Free of the past. Waiting for the future.

Anyway, Ashen sucked. I wanted it to be good so badly - it came out at a time when I desperately wanted a game to give me a second chance at the feeling DS gave me, and I fell to its wiles. And then I stopped playing after like two hours because bleh.

The stuff I hope keeps happening:

I don't know if weird cheap stupid games is a thing that existed (outside of newgrounds) before 2010, but since then at least there have been a lot of good examples of stuff that has no business being as popular or delightful as it is but exists regardless. The easy recent examples are Donut County and Goose Game, but we can go back further to find Enter the Gungeon, Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy and so on and so forth.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Hey, I was late to that also, but on the upside it is the best version of the game! If you haven't seen yet, Abzu is kinda like an underwater Journey, made by some of the same people I think. Just replace the wonders of ancient desert to the majesty of sea-life and, err...mysteries!
Hmmm... thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep it in mind.

Zykon TheLich said:
Don't think I ever finished a game. Mortal Empires is just so vast. You usually get to a point where you've basically won way before it's finished.
Not a fan of Vortex?

I've essentially finished my first campaign (Tyrion, basically destroyed the Dark Elves and Vampire Coast with maxed out Quintex, easiest start so I was told, which looks true), but probably going to repeat it on a higher difficulty, see how far I can get. I tend to play multiple campaigns simultaneously so don't mind the time it takes.

Aug 31, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Not a fan of Vortex?

I've essentially finished my first campaign (Tyrion, basically destroyed the Dark Elves and Vampire Coast with maxed out Quintex, easiest start so I was told, which looks true), but probably going to repeat it on a higher difficulty, see how far I can get. I tend to play multiple campaigns simultaneously so don't mind the time it takes.
No, races are a bit limited on that. Only one I have some interest in playing is the dark elves. Got to point where I was way ahead and was basically going to win by virtue of wiping out all the other races who could complete the ritual.

Yes, the stinky high elves do have the easiest start. Got their own huge island they can take over quickly mainly through diplomacy. Also some ridiculous gold exploits. Try Mortal Empires Skarsnik campaign.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Zykon TheLich said:
Try Mortal Empires Skarsnik campaign.
Ah-hahaha... no! =P

Yeah, I know about Skarsnik and his... uh, drawbacks. Reminds me of LegendofTotalWar and his Skarsnik This is Total War campaign... that was... harrowing...(!!) By comparison, Belegar has it easy.

Given the setting of Vortex, race limitation was always going to be there, and I think it lacks popularity because the rituals are typically a trap. I've generally heard that most of the time, you're woefully underdeveloped at each stage you're capable of carrying them out.

Aug 31, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Given the setting of Vortex, race limitation was always going to be there, and I think it lacks popularity because the rituals are typically a trap. I've generally heard that most of the time, you're woefully underdeveloped at each stage you're capable of carrying them out.
Yup you're better off concentrating on building up your empire normally, then stomping the AI that way before it gets to the final ritual. So it plays like mortal empires anyway. If you could choose the cities for rituals it'd be better, but having a bunch of Chaos chosen doom stacks teleport in and head for the random cities the game has chosen gives you very little way of planning a defence. It actively discourages you from doing it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
JUMBO PALACE said:
Phoenixmgs said:
You are a man of taste sir. I love Vanquish and just replayed it (again) actually. I know it's one of Platinum's lesser known/revered titles but it deserves a lot more praise than it receives.

As for my entries, I have to echo others in shouting out the "Soulsborne" games. Dark Souls was a revelation and kicked off a boom of copycats and birthed a genre. Sekiro most recently distilled it down into some of the most exhilarating and fast paced sword combat in an video game.

The Witcher 3 is another obvious choice that I don't need to expound on. However I will submit some of my favorite gaming memories of this decade are tied to the Metro and Batman: Arkham games.

An off the beaten path entry- Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. Everything just came together for me in that one. The performances, beautiful visuals, and heartbreaking story really set the tone for a unique experience.
Glad to see other fans of Vanquish! The best cover shooter ever made.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Zykon TheLich said:
Yup you're better off concentrating on building up your empire normally, then stomping the AI that way before it gets to the final ritual. So it plays like mortal empires anyway. If you could choose the cities for rituals it'd be better, but having a bunch of Chaos chosen doom stacks teleport in and head for the random cities the game has chosen gives you very little way of planning a defence. It actively discourages you from doing it.
Oof... worse than I thought. Mortal Empires provides much more variety, though I will say that most of the difficulty ratings are BS... no way in hell Khalida is 'normal'... -.-

But nvm!