Your Gaming PC Uses More Energy Than Three Refrigerators

Marvin Hymowech

May 8, 2016
Regardless of how much power your system actually draws, the most important thing is to keep it asleep or hibernating when not actually in use. I use a utility to do this that monitors the CPU/Disk/Network usage and sleeps the computer based on this and a time schedule. See www.molliesoft.com/winsleep. WinSleep also has a nice timeline of when your computer was awake or asleep.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
How is this really figured? Is that assuming you have top of the line hardware, disable all energy saving features like core parking and speed throttles, fan speeds, and play games that tax your system at nearly 100% at all times?

That's the only thing that would make me really accept those numbers, and that is quite far from what would happen in a real life situation.

Computers rarely, if ever, really use all the power they are capable of. If all you do is intensive graphics and video rendering, yeah I could see it then. But I can play Fallout 4 for a good while before my video card fan even bothers to turn on. I may have a high system, but most games I play don't come close to heavily taxing it.