Your gaming White Whale

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
PotatoLord said:
One of these days, I will conquer hell in Dwarf Fortress.

ONE OF THESE DAYS!
You know, its not really the Demons in hell that are the hard part. Don't get me wrong, they're absolute bastards, but you can get them if you pre-plan and have a good military and setup prepared to fight them [I.E: Zion hall filled with archers and tamed magma crabs that throw rocks at the demons through fortifications when they stumble into your fort].
What really kills you upon breaking into hell is the FPS death. 800+ demons spawning? Large new area explored? Lots of combat happening each second? Better drop to 20 FPS [Just so everyone knows, FPS is the speed that the game actually plays at. This isn't like your average game where 30 FPS is arguably playable, its just a bit jumpy, at 30 FPS everything takes over 3 times as long to complete because the game itself has slowed down. Its like playing in slow motion].
Such a death also puts a damper on something I've always wanted to do: Release a dobberman bomb of nuclear proportions upon the demons as they spew forth from hell [In case you don't know what that is, shove an absolute f***ton of dogs {Preferably war trained and over 1000 for taking on 800 demons. They'll fail, but they've got some chance then} into one cage, then open the cage and watch them explode over the scenery, filling up any spare gap and jumping on the demons to kill them. Half the demons will end up unable to attack because they've got a dog latched onto every limb on their body [Including eyelashes if they have them, have tried this with unarmed Dwarves against a megabeast one time. 1 casualty, and that's because the idiot got thrown off the beast at the last second and instantly sliced in half, the rest of the time the thing was held down by 50 dwarves who were biting and kicking it to death whilst it couldn't move], and the other half will probably just breathe fire and instantly incinerate all the dogs, but hey, its worth a try - until the FPS death butchers you.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Most bosses in Nocturne, oh god, they kicked my ass but that made me wanna win even more...
Lol this was mine a year ago . Nocturn hard mode , not using ng+ . I did it , i don't recommend it unless you hate yourself .

OT: right now , my white whale is playing and winning a UMVC3 tournament for the road to evo. I'm motivated ! And i will do it without using wesker . I just have to learn to play more cheap.

Capcha: i have fallen . You will fall to the might of my x-23!

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I don't really have a white whale... I am obsessed enough with games that I normally overcome any challenge after a few thousand attempts. I must say though for a while I didn't think I would be able to beat rayquaza on Rescue Team Blue. I was extremely under-leveled and it took me upwards of 70 tries.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Skoldpadda said:
Actually, there's one little thing. Normally I never cheat, but I had to during the Armstrong fight. You have to hit him 30 or 40 times and he's got you dead in 3 or so. He's got an unavoidable move. There's a glitch where, according to gamefaqs, he can't hit you when you jump on one of the beds and you can just pummel him, but they don't mention that he just starts chucking grenades at you. I was despairing at the 50th attempt (I've marked them, don't ask), but at the 70th I simply gave up, looked up god mode, activated it, finished the thing, then deactivated god mode again. Further difficult parts (like the timing on that snowy ledge before getting your stuff back) required save scumming, but that's normal. I haven't touched a cheat since, nor will I. I will complete the game, then lie restless, because there was this one bit where I cheated. My success will not be complete.
Oh God, that Armstrong fight brings back memories. I remember trying to take him down in every way possible during my first playthrough but failing. Eventually I managed to glitch the game by, somehow, jumping on top of him and smacking him on the top of his head until he gave in. Every subsequent playthrough (which amounts to a good 6 or 7, I absolutely adored NOLF) I beat the Armstrong fight in the same way: Jump on top of him and wail away.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Beat Mario 3 without Warp Whistles. I actually do pretty good up till that level in World 6. That level includes a prize if you get all the coins. That level also has floating platforms that seem to imply multiple statements of "FUCK YOU!" to Mario. And World 7/8 are just all-around hell...

Another one would be to get the guts to finish Contra without the Konami code, nevermind that I haven't beaten the game using it.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
The last boss fight of Sonic Unleashed.

It's a really annoying boss fight with little chance of me actually finishing, as it was so hard to get there (the previous level was 20 mins long w/o dying and involved me having to switch between Sonic and his Werehog form). I'm sure I might just dedicate some time to going back and finishing it, but not right now.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
It's hard to say because I make a point of avoiding games where the challenge is incredible --bordering on the unfair-- difficulty. I can see the appeal but it's not my cup of tea.

So I guess with that in mind mine would be the first Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, which I have owned for about six years now and have still never beaten the very first boss.

Edit: Also the first Shinobi on PS2. That was a labour of love because despite the horrendous game design I loved how it looked, though I've never managed to finish it.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
SlaveNumber23 said:
Call of Duty 4. Mile High Club on Veteran. I just can't pull that shit off, I'm naturally someone who is careful and takes their time in shooters so having to rush through and complete the mission so fast is completely unnatural for me.
Pulling that off was one of my proudest gaming memories. I used some YouTube guides, but it still took about 90 minutes of repeated tries.

It was the first XBox game I ever got 100% achievement completion on.

Good luck! :)

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Skoldpadda said:
No, I mean (and I will edit my post) when there's a challenge, any challenge, you just cannot overcome, but are determined to do so before you die. It doesn't have to involve cheating.
Red bull challenge in gt5, driving the car is like "driving" a rocketship, and driving it extremely hard, with monza being pretty darn easy, few shortcuts that will not dq you on that track, but the other 2 are brutally hard.

Nurburg ring in general would be my white whale just because it is such a great track, i will spend hours practicing trying to perfect each section of the track and run clean laps. gotta love a track that will kill you brutally and quickly just as look at you, and i have managed some spectacular wrecks.

the old school karateka, dunno if it was brutally hard but my personal challenge was to beat the game without loosing a life or i had to restart, and i was pretty darn good at that game.

champy_fan

Jul 23, 2012
For me, it would probably be to actually complete Persona 4. I love the characters, I love the story, I hate the gameplay. Despite this, I pushed through all the way to what I thought was the end, only to be cut short on the bad ending and forced to play another 40 hours. I haven't looked at it since, but one day, maybe I'll see the real ending.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Ocarina of Time xD

I played when I was about 8-10 a few times and always got a bit further as I grew older but never to the finishing line.
I've later replayed all the older Zelda games except this one, it has to be mine then :p
Well I have never played WindWaker either which I've heard is a great game.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Acquiring the Everlasting Dragon set in Vindictus x.x

5 part armor set, and all 5 parts take at least 2 'rare' drops from the bosses in Hiede.

I've yet to put any actual effort into getting it, the sheer amount of grind has been prevent that.

guess its time i sacked up and started after it

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Super Mario Bros. 1. And, to some extent, the Lost Levels. I've beaten 2, 3, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2, NSMB 1, 2 and Wii, but I've yet to overcome the one that started it all.[footnote]The eagle-eyed may have noticed I didn't list World there. My secret shame is I've never played Super Mario World. Don't spear me![/footnote]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
For those of you who owns a 360 download the demo to Tales of Vesperia. Yeah, my white whale is the eggbear boss on normal difficulty on sn unaided playthrough.i played through most of the game on hard except for special enemies I was supposed to beat later where I turned the difficulty to normal, but only once did I have to set the difficulty to easy. Fucking egg bear...

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Beating Pharaoh. The game is so loooong. So long that I have had time to switch computers several times and been forced to start over.

Finishing Heroes of Might and Magic IV. Lost my interest during the late summer, but I should probably get back to it sooner or later. Only two campaigns left to finish anyway.