Your greatest gaming comebacks

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Fox12 said:
Kged said:
epic snip
I had so many from this game. My favorite was during an enemy invasion of one of my major cities, and the battle wasn't going well. All I had left was my general, with a handful of guardsmen, and maybe a twenty infantry. Their numbers were in the hundreds. Putting everything on the line, I feinted with my infantry, and then sent my cavalry on one last glorious charge against their general. I figured I could atleast take their general down with me. Against all odds I broke their ranks, and my men somehow managed to kill their general after a brutal last stand. Before I know it their entire army is fleeing in terror while my remaining cavalry chase them down.
I remember playing Scipii, and fighting off Carthage's main early game attack army with a tiny garrison of velites, hastasi, and town watch.
Because they outnumbered me about 20-1, they attacked immediately, relying on a unit of elephants to destroy the walls. Against convention, I waited until they broke the walls before using any missiles (elephants get a morale buff while attacking wooden gates I think)
Placed a unit of loose formation town watch on the breach, entire enemy army charges, elephants in lead. Waited for the elephants to penetrate into town watch, then fired eveything.
Elephants last until the second volley from my hastasi, then go berserk. But because the town watch are routing by this point and I've immediately ordered my other infantry to escape the elephants by running like hell towards the plaza, the elephants decide they've had enough and charge back through the breach.
Through their own army, which was piled up behind them trying to get through the breach.
It was utterly devastating.

The battle results screen was rather amusing - I inflicted about 40 casualties, the enemy about 60. But while I only took about 120 (lots of friendly fire), the enemy took 2000 from their own elephants.

It completely broke Carthage's back and resulted in a seriously weird campaign - I ended up with a peace treaty with the greeks (unheard of with Scipii), and expanded West instead, taking Spain, Gaul and Britain.
AI Brutii ended up not expanding, AI Julii took Macedon, Dacia, and Thrace, and the Germans ended up taking Scythia and moving on to Turkey.

I've never been able to replicate that kind of departure from the campaign AI's normal routines, even by doing intentionally stupid crap like taking an early game German army to invade Egypt.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
I was playing a match of PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale. I was using my main, Evil Cole. Some of you may know that complacent gaming syndrome [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComplacentGamingSyndrome] brutally affects that game with the characters Kratos, Raiden and Radec. Well, as luck would have it, top tiers reared their ugly head again and I got put in a free for all ranked match with 3 different Kratos players. I managed to best all of them by a kill.

And there's my many "Combofiend Comebacks" thanks to Spencer being an AWESOME character in UMVC3. Whenever my Nova and Doctor Doom got beaten, I could always rely on Spencer and his BIONIC ARRRRRRRRRRM!

talker

Nov 18, 2011
I was playing world of tanks in a German light tank with a twenty k/h speed limit, a shitty turret-mounted flak gun and practically nonexistent armor. I was the last player on my team, and there were four enemies left. I had spent the entire match working my way round, but still had maybe a fourth of my health left. I drove over to their flag to find nobody guarding it, so I drove over to try and capture it. the enemies were all the way on the other side, nearing my flag. maybe they didn't know the more people capturing, the quicker it goes. maybe they thought that even their numbers would not help. so they raced back to their own side, a fraction of a second too late as I snatched victory from them!

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Way back in Madden 64, I was playing a buddy and losing by 21 points with a little over two minutes to go. For some reason, my buddy tries an onside kick after scoring the last touchdown. It failed horribly and I ran it back for my own touchdown. On the ensuing kickoff, he fumbles the ball, and I recover it and run it back in for a touchdown. After kicking it off again, he tries to run it out of the endzone, but I stop him at about the 10 yard line. Next play is a run for a loss. The next is a sack for a safety, two points, and more importantly, I get the ball back. At this point there's under a minute left and I'm down five points, about sixty some odd yards from glory. After two incomplete passes, I hit a long bomb that puts me inside his 20 yard line. Very next play is a touchdown, and I'm now up two points with about 15 seconds left. I kickoff and then intercept a Hail Mary, sealing my victory and the greatest comeback in (my own personal) video game history. He won the eventual rematch, but I'll always have that memory, and still bring it up every time we get together to play or watch a game.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Basically anytime we win Dota match while facing Mega-Creeps. Usually, if enemy team managed to get mega-creeps, it means you're fucked. They can just sit in their base and wait for creeps to finish the job. However, they rarely do wait. This is one of the greatest things about Dota. Just one mistake, just one hero off position, just one missed spell or well timed Black King Bar may turn everything around.

Lennie Briscoe

Jan 18, 2011
Poker Night 2. Brock, Ash, and Sam were out of the game and it came down to just Claptrap and myself; he had a virtual city made of chips, and I had something resembling a policeman's salary.

Miraculously, the deck treated me favorably; I won something like six or seven hands in a row and sent him packing.

GlaDOS soured the victory a bit by insuating that she had been stacking the deck in my favor, but whatever it still counts.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
I remember a rather Epic WoT match that I was the last one left versus three and I was in THE MIGHTY BISON (for those who dont know that is the lowest tier German artillery) I sniped their remaining arty by watching for the shot then it was me vs 2 light tanks. I went all TD mode on their ass waited behind a rock and just as one of them showed his face BOOM direct hit. I thoght that was about all I was gonna get with the reload time on my gun but the other tank was too afraid to push his advantage and I got to reload and with one more direct hit killed him best WoT round I ever played

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I once won a Company of Heroes 2 match (during the beta) with one victory point remaining. It was a 2v2 and my random teammate was ready to give up but I told him to keep fighting on and we brought the enemy down from some 200 victory points to zero. It was intense to say the least. One mistake and we would have lost.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
It was a long time ago (back when I still played Halo Reach) and I was in a zombies match. I was getting no kills during the first half and some how I ended up as the last man standing. I cornered myself and shotgunned my fist zombie. Things were looking ok. Then I ended up shotgunning seven zombies after that (some twice) Until I was finally taken down by an entire pack. I have never done that good in Halo since then.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I am so proud of this moment, it was a game of Star Wars Battlefront 2, I was playing Clones on Utupau on one of the higher difficulties. It went really badly, I didn't even know this could happen, but I ended up being literally being the last man standing on my team, holding the very last command point on the map, while the computer still had at least 50 guys, including like several tanks. My only advantage was it was on one of those pier on that map with a tiny door and the computer decided to completely crowd the door with said tanks rendering them kinda useless. If not for that stroke of AI failure I would've been so dead.

I stood on he edge of the pier, switching between classes like a crazy person, rocket troop to shoot the tanks, commander to mini gun the infantry, pilot to fix the medical and supply droids, jet trooper to jump to the other pier and piss them off. It was insane but I just stayed alive with like millimeters of health left for most of it and just kept fighting. It's quite frankly a miracle the computer never thought to just use a grenade or a sniper or else I'd have been totally screwed, but it didn't and I the very last person on the map, whittled down those 50+ battle droids until I won.

To date I have never had a victory I felt I earned more then that one, when I killed the last droid I literally jumped up and sheered.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Only thing I remember was long long time ago in first Halo after taking enemy flag I managed to kill four people with it in melee before capturing it.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
karma9308 said:
generals3 said:
It's been a long time since I've heard of Empires Dawn of the Modern World. Fantastic game and really cool scenario editor. I loved creating missions. I wonder if it works on windows 7.
Yeah, the only game in which I actually made a scenario. It wasn't great and never truly finished either but I was still happy of my work :p

I'm still weeping over Stainless Steel Studios' bankruptcy :( (I think I will never recover)

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Not sure if this is the greatest win for me of all time, but most certainly my most recent. Magic the Gathering 2014, sealed play online against the roommate. I was down to 2 life with my black/blue deck (a horrible mishmash, no synergy at all) my roommate was up to 30 life with a white/blue deck. Most credit goes to Staff of the Death Magus and Jinxed Idol (he had pacified a bunch of my creatures, used them all as sacrifices). Once I got my nighthawk vampire out, it was gg no re.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
ages ago when I played the 1st aliens vs predator and in a clan. So had a clan match of 8 marines vs 3 predators and after a lot of shooting and screaming it came down to myself a marine against the last predator where we spent about 2 or 3 minutes dancing around each other until I ran out of ammo so charged up to the predator and bashed its skull in with my empty pulse rifle, all I can say is damn that was satisfying and he was a very, very bad shot since his spears of insta-death kept missing as I bounced around like a jack rabbit.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Spanishax said:
Back when Halo 3 was a game that marked the end of a great trilogy that somehow unexpectedly expanded into Call of Duty: Neverending Forerunner Edition, I was playing 16v16 on Sandtrap. We were down by about 50 points, and the other team only needed one more kill to win the game. My entire team decided to drop out all at once, leaving only me to face the vastly-superior horde.

I never quit. Maybe it's how I was raised, maybe it's just an inborn need push through any challenge despite the odds, but I NEVER back down (I never once, in hundreds upon hundreds of matches, EVER surrendered in LoL)!

Armed with only my wits and my guns, I subsequently engaged the secret Rambo mode programmed into every multiplayer server in existence - the code for it can be found in your blood, and etched on your soul. Bunkering down in anyplace defensible yet anti-siege, I collected the shotgun and sniper rifle and picked off any enemy combatants in my scope. Anytime they tried to surround me, there was one escape they overlooked... Anytime they infiltrated my current, disposable base, my shotgun would greet them at the funnel point I shepherded them through.

Rockets, tanks, warthogs... none of them could stop me! They rode the elephant: I sniped the driver. They brought out the Banshee: I hijacked it. I annihilated all in my path; outwitted any plans designing my doom! They hurled slurs at me, screaming for me to just quit! They used psychological warfare. "You can't beat us all! Your team abandoned you! You should just quit and save yourself the trouble!" I didn't mute their mics, just to hear the taunts and the demands for my surrender... and make them eat their words, one by one, over and over again.

The score was rising, and so was my adrenaline. My armor, cracked and scarred, twisted and burnt, scored by plasma and dented by bullets, was glowing like the sun! Its overuse only made it look that much more glorious! For when they saw the red of a disbanded team with one member still kicking, they knew a bullet to the head would soon follow. It was the time of my life! The kind of fulfillment, achievement, and satisfaction most people spend their whole lives trying to create. I alone brought Red Team's score from 50 to 95!

And then... a red dot. It traced me, flashing just past my vision as I picked off another of their team. My focus was waning. I had been in one particular bunker too long, and the adrenaline was wearing thin, pushed to the limit! I was careless!

"No!" I screamed in futility. It was too late... vengeance would serve Blue Team that day. I made one desperate mad dash for the exit, but it was not to be. My fate was sealed. I heard the familiar sound of the Spartan Laser blast and my ragdolling body hit the floor. The match was over. I failed... but I had the honor of being the one man who conquered an army, and refused to back down.

Oh? Did you think this was a story about MY gaming comeback? No, this was BLUE TEAM'S comeback story from almost CERTAIN, humiliating defeat! :D

By the way, this story is entirely true. That was a great day!

Captcha: duvet day. Er... not quite.
I demand a Theater video of this.

Also, CoD: Neverending Forerunner Edition? lolwut?

My comeback story's quite simple. I was also playing Halo 3 but on Heretic. Normal Slayer. I was losing rather badly to my friends and started to get pretty ticked off. And then, as if I just made a choice to not suck anymore, I spawned and, with tranquil fury [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TranquilFury], started to wipe the floor with them. Went on for a while, I'd say 5 or 6 straight kills before I finally calmed down and, thus, went down.

But the funny thing is that this has happened multiple times. Weird.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
This probably doesn't count because it was A. not really my game and B. wasn't salvaged through any skill of mine, but it was still one of the greatest "hell yeah" moments I have ever experienced.

So, I'm in college. And a friend of mine is playing through Final Fantasy: Tactics. Like I said, i wasn't playing, but I would go into his room, watch him play, and help him figure out where to put his party, so it was sort of my game too. He named his characters after various people in our circle of friends and let us decide what jobs they'd have and such, and by the final battle, my character was a ninja. So, we reach the final battle, and the party consists of (besides the obvious Ramza), a samurai, a dragoon, a priest, and my ninja. The final battle commences, and at first everything goes alright.

However, everything goes to hell in a handbasket by the last few turns. Eventually, the field consists of Altima, Ramza, the samurai, and my ninja. The priest was torn apart by two of the demon things and the dragoon got thrown off the ship somehow, I don't quite remember, although he did kill the last of the demons first. Everyone left is on their last dregs of HP. Ramza is cornered by Altima, my ninja is berserk, and has spent the last few turns alternating between attacking himself and the samurai, who by this point has been turned into a frog and then petrified. I'm sure you can imagine our despair as Ramza is executed, and the monstrosity turns its attention to my ninja, still in the process of beating up amphibious statuary. We were trying to remember where the last save point was when, suddenly, my ninja breaks through the rage just long enough to remember who the true enemy is. He turns around, charges across the deck, and embeds both his swords in Altima's skull, killing it instantly.

I recall being unable to say anything but "What?" for a few minutes. Then the cheering started.

I have never been so proud of a character as I was in that moment. It still stands out in my mind as one of my greatest triumphs, even though I actually did absolutely nothing to achieve it.

Good times.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Tetris Attack, Hardest Difficulty, Final Boss.

For the longest time, this was the only thing I couldn't beat on Tetris Attack. I'd do well enough against him for a while, but that's not good enough. He perfectly counters pretty much everything you throw at him. The blocks keep rising faster and faster and in the end I'd just get overwhelmed. Except for one, single time (after which I never played the game again :p).

Not much to say about it, if you've ever played the game you know how it works: clearing combos and getting anything above matching 3 of a kind sends a big block of Thwomp over at the opposing player, the only way to get rid of the Thwomp is to get a match that's touching it, at which point it turns into random blocks for you to use.

On this one specific occasion, I was almost completely buried. Little less than half of my screen was filled with blocks, the rest was filled with one giant, fat-ass Thwomp. At that point, I achieved Zen.

Seriously, I saw all the right combos, all the right timings, all the right moves to make match after match after match. I just kept going and going and going. Think I ended up getting to a x45 combo and absolutely leveled the boss, he had 2 rows of blocks, the rest was one giant, fat-ass Thwomp, and there were no possible matches on his screen. He lost by default. I ran to the window and shouted out at the neighborhood "FUCK YOU BABY BOWSER!!!!!!!!" Ok, not really, but that's what I felt like doing. :3