Your honest opinion on Modern Warfare 2.

LaffmanAKAJPLaffo

Feb 11, 2009
First off if someone has created a topic like this I apologise.

Right so I want every one's honest opinion on Modern Warfare 2. The reason I'm asking is that I've just been called a wanker for not wanting to buy the game. Is it really as good as people say it is or is it just another bland fps?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Ahhh... my honest opinion?
It can be rather fun to play online... if you can find a match.
I think it should be renamed 'Call of Duty: Lobby Warfare', as I seem to spend most of my time sitting in the lobby, searching for a game...

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
If you have played MW1 then you have the same gaming experience, more or less. It is probably this fact as to why I am loading into a multiplayer game of it right now. That experience wasn't bad at all, nothing flash of course but you can't really call it bad.

Now if you want it for story. Well to make sense of the story you have to make massive assumptions and even then the plot has such huge holes it isn't funny. The single player also relies on the old 'throw so many enemies at them it will take all day to just shoot them dead' method of lengthening a game... aka 'the grind.' I kid you not, it feels like some two bit drug lord in south America has more troops on his payroll then the entire US military.

Arikarin Aririkamei

Aug 26, 2009
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but oh well.

The singleplayer was bland, the spec ops was... okay-ish, when played with a friend. But personally I think Infity Ward was so far up their own arses from the success of the multiplayer from MW1 that they could burn their faces on their own stomach acid. They gave it almost no attention. It was just one great big half baked idea for me.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Overpriced for something that's only like three lunchbreaks worth of single player. Unless The Spec-Ops shits bricks, I'm not buying it until the price drops down to earth.

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
It's a fun game but it has its flaws. Single player was way too short, spec-ops was meh and got very boring for me. The multiplayer is good, but I feel COD4 had it just right.

LaffmanAKAJPLaffo

Feb 11, 2009
Raving Cheese Puff said:
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but oh well.

The singleplayer was bland, the spec ops was... okay-ish, when played with a friend. But personally I think Infity Ward was so far up their own arses from the success of the multiplayer from MW1 that they could burn their faces on their own stomach acid. They gave it almost no attention. It was just one great big half baked idea for me.
If you get flamed I shall protect you. =P

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
ehh its fun at first but I couldn't enjoy the multiplayer.
The multiplayer spawning was horrible and I felt constantly angry at the game.
This is the only game I have sold because it made me angry, games should be fun not prompting me to be pissed off.
The single player was better if you just ignored the story, that shouldn't have to be said about any game.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Single Player - Yeah it was exciting and action packed but in the way a Michael Bay film is i.e all explosions,stupid story.Should have been a few hours longer as well.Still they did get rid of the respawning enemies though so that's a plus

Spec ops - Good fun with a buddy,not so great on your own.I would have happily sacrificed this mode for a longer single player campaign

Multiplayer - Too many glitches,unbalanced weapons and perks and overpowered killstreaks.Still fun too play mind as long as you can put up with the bs

Overall it's a good game but nowhere near as good as it was made out to be.COD4 is a better game imo.

Oh and the person who called you a wanker for not wanting to buy it,tell him/her to fuck off

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
The single player campaign was entertaining, if a bit hard to follow its logic.
Multiplayer was fun for a while, but it kept doing weird things to my computer, so I had to uninstall the whole game.
So I guess my entire opinion of it could be described as "meh".

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
Over-priced, half-made, imbalanced and laggy game in my opinion. The only good part was Spec Ops but too few missions.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Very good, and higly addicting, however like most games similar to it, you begin to play multiplayer to unlock stuff, instead of having fun like your original intent

Bureacreative

May 9, 2009
I don't own any CoD games. but I enjoyed CoD4 much more than MW2. MW2 loses so much of the realism I thought the series was all about. For instance, a Ranger would never be issued a sawed-off, side-by-side shot gun, or indeed a Beretta 93r. And being allowed to dual-wield weapons might be the most blatant "let's be like Halo" move I have ever witnessed.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Honest, OK I can do that. NOTE: I own a PC version

Campaign is awesome. A bit short but the awesomeness compensate, and it feels like a movie because of it's length. Multiplayer, even though there are no dedicated servers, was a lot of fun when I was leveling up and unlocking all those upgrades and whatnot. I have absolutely everything unlocked now and it's not that fun anymore. I only enjoyed Team Hardcore matches because people are not big on air strikes and nukes there. Just pure shooter fans and I like that. But It's been a month since I played MW2. I always go back to CS 1.6

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
As a PC gamer I boycotted the game so I don't personally own it. I have however played it at a friend's house and have this to say:

Long Version

Singleplayer: Quite entertaining, admittedly. Certainly very cinimatic and overall pretty mindless fun. Fun in the way a Michael Bay blockbuster is, but by no means does that make it good. It's Call of Duty though, and it never claimed to be deep, so I suppose I can't take too many points off it for that. There are some serious flaws in logic in the story though.

Spec Ops: I actually liked this. Especially on co-op, I found it to be the best part of the game. I can't help but think the game would have been much better had it just been comprised of dozens more of these self-contained challenges rather than trying and failing to put together a coherent plot.

Multiplayer: I think exactly the same of Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer as I did of COD4's. Horribly unbalanced, with far too many cheap ways to kill people, boring and unfun maps and generally just an experience that leads to more frustration than fun. Definitely the worst part of the game, which is not a good thing in a series that has grown to concentrate more on the multiplayer. Also, no dedicated servers = gah.

In conclusion: A decidedly average game, which while not being terrible, certainly does not deserve all the praise and status it has gained.

Short Version

Meh.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
Ahhh... my honest opinion?
It can be rather fun to play online... if you can find a match.
I think it should be renamed 'Call of Duty: Lobby Warfare', as I seem to spend most of my time sitting in the lobby, searching for a game...
Are you sure you weren't playing Gears of War 2?

In my opinion, the Single Player was a lot of fun, it felt like an action movie. Unfortunately, the includes the bad side of actions movies: the retarded plot.

Spec Ops was fun too, but it does require that you have at least one friend that is both:
1. Interested in Spec Ops
2. Good at the game
Nothing more annoying than failing because a crappy partner.

The Multiplayer is where the real meat is though, there's so much more customization possible than the first Modern Warefare, and there isn't one clear best gun, you can pretty much use whatever you want.

Overall though, it is very much the definition of a first-person shooter. Nothing will really surprise you from a gameplay perspective, or feel amazingly new. If it's not your cup of tea, that's perfectly ok; not everyone likes it, and not everyone has to like it.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
It should be £20, not £45.

Campaign is short. The online is buggy as fuck, and the host selection is based on random rather than based on best connection which causes supreme lag.

The PC version... lack of dedicated servers means maps are smaller than they could have been, I don't care what anyone says, 32v32 matches are awesome. lack of mod support... well that's just shit, need no more elaboration.

SnakeF

Apr 25, 2009
It was decent, haven't got it myself but I have some fun when playing it with friends.